Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 9/12/2009 12:00:03 AM EDT
i cant afford the 5 grand for a real one. i have been using a turky fryer to boil a huge pot of water to dump in the middle and would do that over and over. thought maybe one of you guys had a better way. im kicking around a couple ideas as to what i could rig up...
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Black rubber hose - motor  to circulate the water out of pool through pipe back onto pool- run across the hot roof of a shed or house.
I have seen it done and it works really well providing the sun is out.
........keep drinking and start pissing. Enough friends and you could potentially get it up to 98.6 degrees
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the black hose, a freinds parents heated their pool by building a grid on the roof of their garage
with black PVC pipe. They put a pump on the grid that circulated the water thru it all day and at night
the pool was pretty warm still.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Best way to do it without having to mess with a roof is to build a box out of plywood (using the whole 4' X 8' sheet) and the sides being 2x6's or even 1X6's and then run an entrance hole with 2-3" PVC running inside to the end and run the pvc back the other way with a 180 degree elbow and so on till the whole box is filled with pvc pipe, then at the end of the run you have another hole drilled through the side for the exit. Paint the whole interior including the pvc black and cover it with a 4' X 8' sheet of plexiglass or I've heard of people filling the whole box with lava rock so it soaks up the suns heat better and helps to thermally apply the heat into the piping.

All you need to do then is face the box where the sun shines the most!
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#4]
ok now to complicate the issue. dont get much sun... i have had the solar blanket on it. its just not doing the trick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Well if you have an issue with lack of sun what about using a coil of copper tubing inside a fire ring.  My FIL uses the pool circulation pump and put a coil of 3/4" copper inside a semi-truck rim and keeps his pool at 85 in the cooler months.  He covers it at night and turns off the pump when the fire dies down, seems to work pretty well for him.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
thats what i was kinda thinking. do you think an old car radiater or a few of em would work in place of the copper pipe
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thats what i was kinda thinking. do you think an old car radiater or a few of em would work in place of the copper pipe

Maybe...I have no idea what temp the solder would melt though.  As long as water is flowing through the tubes they should stay together.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
good point i forgot the water should keep it intact. what kind of pump do you guys use? how much are they. keep in mind im a cheap ass. anything i can rig up to save a buck i will. it dont got to look great. im pumped about the thought of keeping my pool open late in the year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Guy at work heats his pool using a wood burner.  I will have to get details for you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Why not a simple home water heater,  electric be easiest to work with, then recirculate the water through the heater, with some sort of temp control ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why not a simple home water heater,  electric be easiest to work with, then re circulate the water through the heater, with some sort of temp control ?

That would cost a lot of $$$ to run, every time the water temp changes from the circulation the coils will heat. it would run continuously.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
+1 on the black hose, a freinds parents heated their pool by building a grid on the roof of their garage
with black PVC pipe. They put a pump on the grid that circulated the water thru it all day and at night
the pool was pretty warm still.

Black PVC pipe is a great Idea but keep the size down to 3/4" it will keep the water hotter.( Less area to to be heated)  

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool thing is if you rig up radiators, you could make your own still...LOL. I had a customer who had used a 1" black PVC in a zig-zag pattern on his roof to utilize the 156+/- degree temperature. He also used a large pump to circulate the water to his showers in his house in Perrysburg, Ohio. It worked very well. If you use a larger supply line it will take more time to heat the water. Water does take a long time to heat up naturally.

That heat box is a good idea too. Only if you have enough sun through out the day.

I solved your heating problems. Way not just use all of our Senators and Congressmen to just blow into a pipe leading into you pool... That's true, it might be to hot to use. Sorry for that idea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#14]
With the heat box idea you can also make them for a preheating box for your water tank and also make smaller ones to mount below a window, have a small duct coming from it and since hot air expands & rises it will force the heat from the box into your windows. I would only do that for a garage though... Plus I haven't tested that method.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#15]
i just dont think i get the sun required for any solar method. huge trees all around. my electric bill is already high so i dont want to heat with electricity. good ole fossil fuels will do the trick.. i got to do my part.. so im thinking that like a pond fountain pump would suffice they are pretty cheap and 600 gph should be enough right? im just gonna pipe toghether a couple of radiaters my buddy has. after i flush em out, cant forget that. the radiaters will be in like a stack over watever im burnin. just a pump to get water there and tube to bring it back. thank you guys so much for the input. i wonder what you guys think about the pump. maybe sump pump would be better.. hey and ya never know maybe i just give up and make the still
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
this is just getting scary at this point
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#17]
This sounds like another episode of "Red Green Show"
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
give me a break i aint made of money. i make the best of whats around. and i can get my hands on for cheap. my apologies. if iwasnt putting myself through school id go ahead and just buy a heater.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
give me a break I am not made of money. I make the best of what's around. and I can get my hands on for cheap. my apologies. if I wasn't putting myself through school id go ahead and just buy a heater.

Dude we are just having some fun with you,  Take a dip in your pool and chill

seriously just some fun no need to get pissed my friend  

Plus school guy, I fixed your grammar in the quote above,

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This sounds like another episode of "Red Green Show"

Ahhh the 1001 uses for duct tape show

If the ladies don't find ya handsom at least they can find ya handy
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
give me a break i aint made of money. i make the best of whats around. and i can get my hands on for cheap. my apologies. if iwasnt putting myself through school id go ahead and just buy a heater.

Your title of this post is "ideas for hillbilly pool heater?". With a title like that, what do you really expect?  To be honest with you, you might want to relax a little, grow some thicker skin and stop acting like an ultra-offendable liberal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#22]
good point... ur right... and english blows anyway i pull in all a's with the exeption of english which im sure is apparent. the spelling police on here will get much enjoyment out of me. with a topic thread of hillbilly pool heater im kinda surprised i got as many good ideas and not made fun of a whole lot more. kind of an odd topic. however when its done i assure you it will be amazing and im gonna post pics
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#23]
much needs trail and error. like will the radiater hold up? how will the flow rate affect this. the reason i think a radiater is a good idea is because the fins will give the water a greater surface area thus speeding the heat transefer. however im worried that the outside soder will melt away and it will leak. if that is the case i think that a grid of coppper pipes would hold if i just dident expose the elbows to direct flame. the flow rate comes into play because in either method the whole thing being heated needs to be tottally filled with water all times when exposed to flame  to prevent damage. but if the flow is too fast and it isnt over the heating element long enough it might be ineffective. or maybe too fast isn't an issue because heat is still going into water regardless of how fast that it is moving. i am no physics expert.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
however when its done i assure you it will be amazing and im gonna post pics

I am interested in how it works. Plus, I would like to see the completed pictures too.

If you are going to use flex copper, make sure it is 3/4" line. You could use a 24"+/- diameter solid tube to coil the 3/4" line around it, so you could create spring coils which will hold heat better. Make sure you insulate your lines to the pool.
If you keep all of your fittings out of the fire (purchase a 50" +/- 3/4" line), that should help. Remember, the coals are hotter than the flames.

Let us know how it works.
God speed!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Easy...

while running your still, circulate the pool water through the condensing coils

gives you added incentive to make more shine and if the feds show up, hide the goods and say you are heating the pool water.

Wood is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
As long as there is water in the lines the solder will not melt...

you can boil water in a paper cup in direct flames and the paper won't burn.

just make sure it doesn't go dry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
sorry double post
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

much needs trail and error. like will the radiater hold up? how will the flow rate affect this. the reason i think a radiater is a good idea is because the fins will give the water a greater surface area thus speeding the heat transefer. however im worried that the outside soder will melt away and it will leak. if that is the case i think that a grid of coppper pipes would hold if i just dident expose the elbows to direct flame. the flow rate comes into play because in either method the whole thing being heated needs to be tottally filled with water all times when exposed to flame  to prevent damage. but if the flow is too fast and it isnt over the heating element long enough it might be ineffective. or maybe too fast isn't an issue because heat is still going into water regardless of how fast that it is moving. i am no physics expert.

FWIW I run soldered copper tubing in my car for the coolant lines.  They hold 200 degree water fine, even while right near a turbo which gets much hotter...  

You could make a box out of aluminum and mount it above your fire ring.  

Then fit a series of radiators in the box.  Connecting them all with radiator hose, copper elbows, etc.  

Fill box with water.  Put heat source of your choice in fire ring.  

This way you are heating the radiators while they are in water, so even if your pump dies you won't damage the radiators.  

Could also rig a thermostat to a propane fueled heat source with a sensor in box.  Have it turn off once water reaches a certain temp so you don't get the pool too hot.  BUT that would cost more than just burning wood in the ring.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:00:44 PM EDT
[#29]
We use three of these on a 28' pool.

Solar Pool Heaters

It is a basic heat transfer system. This will keep our pool between 80 and 90 degrees, depending on how much direct sun I get daily. They operate well, in northern Ohio, between May and September.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#30]
due to a problem with funds this is gonna have to wait till spring. the radiaters were at my dads house i went to get them and he had thrown them away. i figure it works out for the best because now i can take my time build it perfect and make it look good. and while the pool is closed i can take out some of the branches on my side of the fence. that way i can get some more sun and use less fuel. is that legal? can you cut limbs from a tree in your yard when the tree isnt? its gotta go i hate cleaning it every 5 min? i figure if i cut it right at property line i should be good to go. i have some real yuppy ultra liberal people next door and we do not get along. wouldnt be shocked if when i bust out the chain saw they tie themselves to the tree. wanna make sure im g2g and dont break the law
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
my understanding is that you can trim anything that is on your side of the property line  ***unless*** said trimming will endanger the life of the tree or shrub from too harsh a trimming.

personally i just trim away.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#32]
If they say anything, tell them it's either you trim it now or send them a bill when their tree/shrub causes damage to your property. (falling branches etc.)

But I do believe 41Chevy is correct about your right to trim whats on your side.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
my understanding is that you can trim anything that is on your side of the property line  ***unless*** said trimming will endanger the life of the tree or shrub from too harsh a trimming.

He is correct. If you have any branches, shrubs and/or any hazards from your neighbors' property, your are entitled to remove them at your expense. In Lucas County, Ohio you can cut straight up from your property line with no permission from the neighbor. I would still talk it over with them to keep the peace.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#34]
i really really hate them but talking to them first might not be the worst idea. maybe its my short temper that started it. thanks for all the info guys... this is totally random but i was under the impression that chipmonks were intelligent creatures but three of them so far have decided to drown themselves in the pool. i just found that odd. and two toads but that didnt surprise me. the critters are having mass suicide. i enjoyed watching them in the morning with a coffee and a smoke. but i must be a pain in the ass to live by if the local wildlife is offing themselves anyway thanks again guys, and i have succeded in lightning up
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top