Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 2:01:04 PM EDT
while out with my mom-in-law looking for cars, (we live in the Cleveland area), we were on Brookpark Rd, which is the border between Cleveland and it's largest suburb, Parma....we heard the sirens and before I could react, they were flying past us, chasing a little black Nissan.....we were approaching an intersection, and traffic was heavy.....the Nissan got hemmed in by trying to squeeze between two cars,(a Ford F150 and a Lincoln Town car), it appeared the BG didn't want to drive on the wrong side of the road, and possibly get into a head-on crash.......the first LEO cruiser comes up and the officers jump out......AND THEN THIS LINCOLN WHO HAD THE GUY HEMMED IN, MOVED AND LET HIM GET OUT, he turned the corner and the chase was back on......I was appalled that someone would move their vehicle to let a bad guy get away, and continue the chase thereby possibly endangering more citizens........my point is....I hate being pulled over  just as much as anyone else......but if I were the guy in the Lincoln, I WOULD NOT have moved my car.......I believe in helping the police when I can.....any thoughts??......thanks everyone......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No shit huh? Have to watch Fox8 tonight see what that was all about! Since it was down on Brookpark Rd, how much you wanna bet it had everything to do with, Drugs, Guns, and Hookers.
as far as the lincoln goes...I'm not suprised! I look around anymore, and im just disgusted with what I see...people are spineless pussies any more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
lets see here. the police roll up and  jump out. they have guns. every one wants to get away from this area  and dangerous situation. the people in the other cars  dont know if its a traffic stop or a murderer the police are after. so lets say you stay. what if theres a gun battle. the bad guy shoots you and you die. who takes care of your family? did this other car have a baby in it that you couldnt see. hell he may have had warrants. you get the idea.  i would get out of the kill zone to. then theres the smart ass that says if the cops shot me by accident i would be rich. ya ya. theres alota pain, lawyers, and court time  involved in that idea. cop chases are something to see from a safe distance.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
sven...you make a point that I thought about after I posted....If I have my family in the car, peace I'm out ... If I am by myself, I ...in all my stupidity stay and watch. I think what made me mad enough to post what I did is the fact that it is now reaching the neighborhood that jarhead and I live in. I grew up on the streets of east cleveland...a time, and place I wish my children never to be in. This shit was commonplace there, and a hundred different events like this and much worse race thru my mind. I watched daily as the neighborhoods got worse because, "bad guys" took harbor in the fact that your everday citizen was spineless, and turned away. I'm not saying I'm some sort of crusader or the moral police, but the world could do with more community involvment. I CERTAINLY understand your side of the argument though. The area where jarhead and I live now is quite upscale, and I just can't stand the thought of this reaching out here now.( don't get the wrong idea..I'm not saying I am upscale, in fact I'm just a hillbilly living amongst the richy-riches)
But this is where I chose to raise my kids. I know we all sit in our houses armed to the teeth saying..I'm ready when it comes to me. I'm guilty of the same thing. I am just starting to think anymore, that it might be time to be proactive, and not reactive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand and agree with your thoughts, Sven.....If my kids were in the car, I would be thinking about them also........I honestly couldn't tell if there were children in the Lincoln or not, I only saw one head in the back window and it was the drivers.......if there were small children in the car, I cannot say......BUT......the officer who jumped out first DID NOT have his weapon drawn......HE DID have his hand on it though......I witnessed this from about four car lengths behind.....and it all happened way too fast.....if the other cruiser would've made it around the front of the traffic, he would've been in a blocking position, and the bad guy would've had no where to go, even if the Lincoln moved.....maybe Sven is right, maybe the Lincoln driver saw the officer's hand on his pistol, realized that HE AND HIS CAR would have been hit if bullets started to fly, and decided NOT to find out that bullets hurt, the hard way.....we do not give police enough credit for the decisions they have to make in a SPLIT SECOND....God Bless them anyways, and I hope they ended up catching the fool!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
i worked at a hospital for a while. they brought in a guy to the emergency room. who had been shot in the head with a small caliber handgun. he had just been sitting in his car.  i have never forgot this. he was a young guy. he looked pretty fast i thought. a policeman said rule number one. never ever call someone over to your car. they can pull a pistol out of there pocket and be able to shoot you at point blank range. pow right in the head. one hell of a lesson i thought. so when i am at a stoplight and some body walks up to my vehicle looking a little more street than i like. i get the hell out of there. nothing like always seeing that dead man stretched out on the table in my memory. when i go aaah whats the worst that could happen? then i think i could end up like that dead guy.
  there building $250.000 homes across the street. its a nice place to live. so i am in the house one day and i hear a helicopter real close. i look out the window and i can see it well.  its very low. it turns out there following some guy who robbed a store and stole a womens purse.  they had chased him up the highway and he got stopped near my house. the cops chase him through the woods/backyards. then it dawns on me. hey there coming towards my house. towards me.  your thinking lock the doors and if he breaks in defend your self right. well if you shoot towards him you will be shooting towards all those cops who i have no dought will shoot back at me. what if they shoot towards him? then i will be taking incoming rounds. well they caught him but, it makes you think. hey i am at home. i should be safe but, i am not. the criminals  are now coming to me. the only thing i can say is always keep your door locked even if your home. be prepared to legally defend your self even in the so called safety of your own home.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]
If I'm out in my POV and I see cops all around me with guns out, I'm un assing the AO, ASAP. I don't want top be around when the shooting starts and catch a stray round.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with all assessments here.....AN UPDATE......the Cleveland Plain Dealer had a 2 paragraph article on the chase.......

SUSPECT IN WOMAN'S DEATH ARRESTED AFTER CHASE
Cleveland Plain Dealer     February 19, 2006

A 24 minute car chase Saturday that went from Cleveland's Old Brooklyn neighborhood into Parma resulted in the arrest of a man who is a suspect in the death of a woman found partially decomposed.
 Police chased the man from the 4700 block of Marcie Dr. to Interstate 480 near Ohio 176, said Lt. Thomas Staccho, a police spokesman. Parma police helped in the pursuit. The chase, which began at 1:37pm and ended at 2:01pm, resulted from a 9-1-1 call from another resident of the Marcie Dr. house, who reported a possible body in the basement. Police found the partially decomposed body of a woman in her late 30s or early 40s there. Police believe the woman may have died violently.
 Police on Saturday had not indentified the woman nor the man who was arrested.

There you have it......Sven hit the nail on the head about the murder suspect.......maybe i'll be rethinking my attitudes about using my vehicle to help end police chases........
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#10]
There you have it......Sven hit the nail on the head about the murder suspect.......maybe i'll be rethinking my attitudes about using my vehicle to help end police chases........

Think about getting your CCW.  Don't limit your train of thought to a vehicle chase involving police officers.

BigOhio
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top