Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:06:47 AM EDT
I went... they had decent prices on guns, a little smaller store front than I was hoping for but the range made up for it.

Programable lanes and you can practice different scenarios... I was pretty impressed....  I just wish I'd have enough money to shoot.

Ammo prices were weren't too bad... they didn't have any out but I asked the guy behind the counter the price for .40's and it was just over 8 bucks for 50 rounds.   Pretty close with Walmart, anyway.

Anyway, anybody else?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I drove through the lot maybe 10:25 this morning, was on a test drive with a problem child car, did not look like anything spectacular going on there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are they at?  Im gona be Glock 26 priceing next week and im hopeing to find one lower than 489.00 new in box.  Thats the cheapest ive found so far and it was actualy at Vandalia Tactical. Olde English wanted 499.00, ARMs Depot wanted 539.00, Target World wanted 529.00. Havent checked Gander Mountain yet but im assuming they will be above 500.00 there as well....  May wait till the show 18-19 at hara to see what I can find. G26's are kinda hard to find in good used condition. No one seems to have them used.......
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
G26 was 495...  I went in there looking at their price of a G27, and the 26 is the same price.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
G26 was 495...  I went in there looking at their price of a G27, and the 26 is the same price.

So Vandalia Tactical is still cheaper... hmmm, maybe there prices arent as bad as i thought they where.  gona call Gunsport in Centerville tomarrow. Someone mentioned a place here in Kettering called Peaboddys? Supposed to be a Glock dealer. i found them on the net, guess ill have to call them too

Where is the Vand. Range and Armory at?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
come into vandalia. head west on national rd from i -75. on the left you will see josephs air port toyota. go left off national. its the building on the left right behind the toyota dealer. phone 1-937-387-0485.    100 corporate center drive. vandalia oh 45377
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So Vandalia Tactical is still cheaper... hmmm, maybe there prices arent as bad as i thought they where.  gona call Gunsport in Centerville tomarrow. Someone mentioned a place here in Kettering called Peaboddys? Supposed to be a Glock dealer. i found them on the net, guess ill have to call them too

I would definitly give Peabody's a call. He does alot of shows so call first.

http://www.peabodysports.com/
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/pistols_glock.htm

$449+18.66 shipping = 467.66   If you can get a decent price on an FFL transfer, that can be cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Went there today and used the range for an hour.  Ammo for 45 was $11 or $12 per 50 (Idon't remember if it was $11 or $11.99) It was remington FMJ in ziplock bags. 22lr was $6 for 100 CCI.  Not to bad.  

I enjoyed my trip.  The target controller is pretty neat....set it for 50 feet, hit "home" and shoot the tarhget as it comes to you....It's hard to do that in the back yard.  They say that they are going to have more programs loaded soon.

I'm certainly not going there every week....my range is cheaper and I allow my self to use any ammo I want, but I did have fun.

As for the retail end, mighty slim pickings at the current....Hopefully, as time goes on, it will get better....Prices seemed reasonable, nothing shocking...except that you can rent a High Point.  I did ask if it was cheaper to rent one or buy one to which the clerck laughed and responded "maybe"
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Went there today and used the range for an hour.  Ammo for 45 was $11 or $12 per 50 (Idon't remember if it was $11 or $11.99) It was remington FMJ in ziplock bags. 22lr was $6 for 100 CCI.  Not to bad.  

I enjoyed my trip.  The target controller is pretty neat....set it for 50 feet, hit "home" and shoot the tarhget as it comes to you....It's hard to do that in the back yard.  They say that they are going to have more programs loaded soon.

I'm certainly not going there every week....my range is cheaper and I allow my self to use any ammo I want, but I did have fun.

As for the retail end, mighty slim pickings at the current....Hopefully, as time goes on, it will get better....Prices seemed reasonable, nothing shocking...except that you can rent a High Point.  I did ask if it was cheaper to rent one or buy one to which the clerck laughed and responded "maybe"

So their ammo comes in ziplock bags?  How much do you want to bet they are reloads?

As long as they insist on forcing customers to use their store ammo, I will shoot elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So their ammo comes in ziplock bags?  How much do you want to bet they are reloads?

As long as they insist on forcing customers to use their store ammo, I will shoot elsewhere.

Walk in with a kinetic hammer in your pocket, when you get your ammo, break out the hammer and bust a couple open, not hard to tell if they is once or more fired cases.  

Then hit them with the no reloads allowed - use our ammo policy thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
gotta agree with swo_daddy.  i like to shoot my own choice in ammo.  i went in to shoot my 45 and 22 pistol. i was going to spend the $300.00 bucks and join. then i asked for 22 ammo.  the nice young man pulls out a 100 round box of cci. he says its like $6.00 dollars and something.  i did not want to spend that kind of money just to shoot my 22. so i said ok how much for the 45 ammo. he pulls out a bag of pmc. he says its $11.00 and something.  i asked weres the box. he said we will be getting in more ammo this week. i think there grand opening is like the first week of march.  hey i am shooting a $2300.00 45 auto pistol.  i chose not to join and not to shoot bagged ammo in my gun. the people are very nice there. its a great place. i understand the owner has a large investment in this place. i hope it works out well for him.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Walk in with a kinetic hammer in your pocket, when you get your ammo, break out the hammer and bust a couple open, not hard to tell if they is once or more fired cases.  

Then hit them with the no reloads allowed - use our ammo policy thing.

That would be funny.  That dark, sooty case interior would be a dead giveaway.

I do have one of those kinetic hammer bullet pullers.  I might just go there once, to find out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:34:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I was talking to a guy last night that said since their ammo didn't come in, they went down to Gander Mountain and bought a bunch of ammo down there.   Maybe they just bagged it up so knowbody knew the difference?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
having worked at a rifle range. i still have to many bad memories of guys showing up with bags of ammo. that they got from god only knows were.  who made it? what kind of bullet? what kind of powder? primer? amount of unknown powder? who loaded it and when? and who do i contact in case things go really really bad?  i have seen all kinds of problems from bagged ammo. it just sets off an alarm with me. i like my ammo in a manufactures box. with a lot number. hey it may be new ammo. if the guy says its new ammo thats  great. it is my choice on if i should shoot it or not.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I e-mailed them and asked them if they offer LEO discounts and asked if their range handles a 5.56.  The response I got was "No and No, but come and check us out I don't think you will be disappointed".  I looked at their website and saw that they offer discounts for folks with a current military status, which I think is great.  At least compete with Lauhorner and offer an LEO discount.  Oh well, I no since in going there just to shoot their ammo and only handguns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Let me just try to clarify the bagged ammo...I am certain that it is not reloads.  All were r-p cases, case heads were completey unmarred, no indentions from breech faces or ejector marks, cases had no dings on thes sides, the fired cases that I examined were very consistently colored, no soot buildup, they looked like they had just been fired. Everything else that I saw go across the counter was in retail boxes, it was only the 45 I saw in baggies.

My suggestion, do as I did, ask why there ammo only.."so that they can control what is going down their range"  Then voice your disaproval.  I chose to buy there ammo and shoot...If you chose not to shoot, let them know why...either thier policy will change or it will not.  If you say nothing, It will not.

My friend I was shooting with did seem to make the most sense out of why we enjoyed shooting indoors, We live in the coutry and always shoot outdoors.  It is a change to shoot indoors, it adds some excitement to it, and that is where my excitement is coming from.  Am I going back to shoot anytuime soon?  Not to shoot.  I reload partly to save money, partly to shoot more, and on the saving money side, I can walk out the back door and shoot for free.  

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Well I went to Vandalia Range and Armory today..... The ammo i bought for range use was all in a box. factory loads. But they did not have any of the 45GAP in stock, so they let me shoot my own ammo ( no hollow point loads ) .  The range officer was very friendly, an helpful.  

Its a well thought out and set up range , with none of the gun powder smell , associated with indoor ranges!.  The moving targets are a BLAST!!!!  we were shooting lowlight, moving targets, an stop an start targets that would turn sideways to present the target, then turn around and move again!... that was challenging, but rather fun!... not to mention to hone your shooting skills.

All in all , I was impressed, and WILL be going back... I talked to the owner, about a discount, for the guys where i work, an he is willing to work something out with us!... on the range fee.  

I might consider buying a membership to the range in the near future.

COLT!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#18]
If I made more than I do I'd consider it but its a hell of a lot of money for a college student that only has a part time job.  

But god damn the moving targets are neat ....  

I'm hoping I can get our department's range officer to check the place out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Let me just try to clarify the bagged ammo...I am certain that it is not reloads.  All were r-p cases, case heads were completey unmarred, no indentions from breech faces or ejector marks, cases had no dings on thes sides, the fired cases that I examined were very consistently colored, no soot buildup, they looked like they had just been fired.

I can show you my 223 Rem reloads and you could not tell them apart from new ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was talking to a guy last night that said since their ammo didn't come in, they went down to Gander Mountain and bought a bunch of ammo down there.   Maybe they just bagged it up so knowbody knew the difference?

Whatever their reason, I will not shoot someplace where I can not use my own ammunition.

I am a target (pistol and rifle) shooter.  I expect maximum accuracy from my firearms, and I can only get it with the loads I work up.  Plinking with stuff that may or may not give the best accuracy is a waste of my time.

Good luck to them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I went there on Saturday and wrote a review.   I'll just excerpt the choice bits:

The shop area is nice and clean (and somewhat bare), but prices seemed kind of high.
Their store stocking policy is that they're mostly going to stock the kind of firearms that can be used at the range - so don't count on seeing any ARs there, it's going to be mostly pistols/carbines/shotguns. The few things I saw in stock were near MSRP prices, but perhaps they'll decline as they do better business. I imagine it's hard getting a store started and established (and therefore better able to reduce the profit margins in an already slim business).
[...]
Their range is very nice, but their policies are a very strange:
You have to use their ammo, doesn't matter if it's their guns or yours. They sell reloaded CCI Blazer 40 S&W for $8.25/50. So the prices are in line with 100 rds of winchester whitebox from walmart. I asked them a little bit more about this policy, they said it's for liability reasons - for instance, if you reloaded your own ammo, KBd, and hurt the person in the lane next to you. I asked then, what about factory box ammo, and they still said it's not allowed. They seriously need to rethink their policy, esp. considering that guns can be finicky, what if their ammo doesn't work in somebody's gun? Then that person just wasted their money on range fees and ammo. And what if their reloads destroy someone's gun? What's their liability then? The only realistic rule I can see concerning ammo at a range is a "factory boxed ammo only" policy. I really hope VRA comes around on this.

In order to use the range, you had to read several forms and sign release waivers. Their liability forms/waivers are very exhaustive and very specific. While it was nice to see the basic safety guidelines outlined, I thought they went a little overboard with it all. In reality, though, the RSO will probably not be that strict. I was able to practice drawing from the holster (which was disallowed in the waiver) after I asked the RSO if it was ok with him.

The range itself is really nice - 10 lanes, split 5+5, with an RSO with each half. There is a small shelf for loading mags and whatnot behind the lines. Each lane has a computerized control for the target, you can set a specific distance in feet, as well as have it turn left/right, move forwards and backwards. They said that they'll eventually program it so that it'll do all that stuff automatically. There's also a person outside the range monitoring everything that goes on.
[...]

My Verdict on VRA:
It's my hope that if enough people badger them about the ammo policy, that they'll give in and just say no reloads vs. no non-store ammo. This is really not that big of a deal for me, since their ammo seems to work ok in my gun and the prices are in line with WWB ammo. But this will be HUGE sticking point for a lot of people.

The range is a lot closer to me than Target World, safer than Target World, less restrictive than Sim-Trainer, and has better hours than Sim-Trainer. As far as the immediate Dayton area, I think VRA is probably the best we can get.

Once they change their ammo policy, it'll be a real winner.

The ammo I got was 50rds of 40 S&W in a ziploc bag, marked CCI blazer.   They were definitely reloads - the cases were covered in crap and dinged up, and just filthy.   They shot ok in my XD40T, but I would still prefer to use WWB.

Please, please, please, if you go there, comment on how you don't like their ammo policy - if enough customers complain, I'm sure they'll come around.   Tell them that's the only thing holding you back from becoming a member (well it is for me, anyway).   I'd be completely happy with a factory-ammo-only policy, as I haven't started reloading yet.   When I do start, I'm sure i'll be campaigning to use my reloads in my own weapons, too :)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#22]
GOOD NEWS

Apparently, enough people complained about it, and after reviewing their legal policies, they determined that they can allow people to bring in factory boxed ammo.

That's it, i'm getting a membership.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
GOOD NEWS

Apparently, enough people complained about it, and after reviewing their legal policies, they determined that they can allow people to bring in factory boxed ammo.

Woot!  

Also, reloads in a factory box are impossible to tell apart from the real thing.

ETA: That kills Lauhorner for anyone living west of SR 201.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GOOD NEWS

Woot!  

Also, reloads in a factory box are impossible to tell apart from the real thing.

ETA: That kills Lauhorner for anyone living west of SR 201.

Yes it does....

Now I know where I'll go...

Thats good they did an "investigation"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I would like to support those guys since there about 15 minutes from me but there to rich for my blood.
I cant afford a $300 membership or $150 CCW Class.
I can shoot all year for $25.
I might shoot there a couple of times for an hour fee but $300 wow.
Theres a few clubs in this area that have indoor shooting and all types of outdoor ranges for about half that. I know the moving tagets sound cool but I cant pay $300 for them.
Glad they popped up. Its nice seeing new shops in this area taking some of old english's business.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Stopped by Saturday morning - dropped $14.00 for an hour of range time, and another $12 for 50 rounds of .45 ball (in the plastic bag).  Carried in my own commercial 9mm.  Everyone friendly and offer the level of help that you want.

Range setup is good - two sets of five lanes separated by a substantial wall. RO keeps an eye on everyone for safety, setup is shoot when you want, no ceasefires. Range was getting full when I left just before noon.

Sales area has a fair number of good quality handguns, prices will never be gunshow level but in line with OE, Vandalia Tactical and Gander Mountain.  

Probably will not join, do more rifle than handgun shooting but the hourly rate is low enough (try to build your own indoor range for 25 hours per year at that rate) and it's close enough that it will be a convenient place to shoot occaisionally in the winter.  I would suggest that they are well worth supporting.

Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top