Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:57:48 AM EDT
We usually go to the Tarheel state every year for vacation, but we are going to stay in OH this year.  I did some research on the web to try to find a good 3 day trip in the state, however I came up empty handed.  We have 2 daughters; 7 & 4.  Any suggestions that you guys could make would really help.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Lake Erie.  I took my kids up there several years ago and had a great time.  Rode bikes around the island, saw the glacier tracks, the crystal cave, the winery, the ruins from the old hotel, etc.  They were never bored, it didn't cost a fortune, and we had an all-round good time.  My guess is it would still be fun.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Lake Erie is good, agree wih Randy. Lots to do up there....including Cedar Point, Bass Island, Hard Rock Museum and don't forget to hit the CMP North Store while you're up thataway. A Garand always caps off a fun vacation, I say.

Also, you might think about the relatively short trip to Deerborn to the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village - that's one of my family's favorite trips - and you can stop by Cabelas in Dundee! (wife will love that!)

Hocking Hills is fun, too. You could rent quads, buzz along the trails, go canoeing, take the kids to the caves, etc. Some of the rental cabins are very nice for the money, we stayed in one that had everything for less than $150 for the whole weekend, very nice.

And, last but not least there's always the Miller's Campground Experience, where you can enjoy the outdoor sports, gaming in the clubhouse, campfire chats and take in the local culture. There's a petting zoo, and your tourguide Pigpen will show you the history and flavor of a mid-70's trailer tour.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Great Wolf Lodge (sandusky) is fun for a 2-3 day get away, especially with kids your ages...  I go there every Feb or March for a 2-night stay.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
whatever you do, if you take the family to cincinnati, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get off on exit 3 from 71 south and take a right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the best things about Ohio is that there are 49 other states to goto for vacation

More seriously, what kinda interest do you have as a family?  Goto caves, fishing, pro sports, museums, zoo, what do you want to do?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
SEA WORLD!!!  I dont kow of any kid that would not love that!!!!

go to AAA and ask for information on ohio family vacation packages...... they will provide you with free information...

colt!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

go to AAA and ask for information on ohio family vacation packages...... they will provide you with free information...

colt!

Aren't they closed?  Isn't that park bought up by 6 Flags or is it now back to Geauga Lake?????
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
whatever you do, if you take the family to cincinnati, do NOT, I repeat, do NOT get off on exit 3 from 71 south and take a right.

HAHAHA

You are so right. I went to Cincy to watch a concert at US Banks and we got off at that exit and one of my buddys down there told me to go straight and not to bother turning any direction.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure what part of Ohio you live in so it's hard to suggest somewhere, if you live there already...lol.  Like me I live on the "almighty Lake Erie" so it's not a vacation for me up here...lol.  If you go up to the "Islands" go up during the day with the kids and stay somewhere else other then the islands, unless you don't wish to sleep well...lol.  There's a lot of partying that goes on at night at Put in Bay(aka South Bass Island), as well as Middle Bass.  Kelly's Island is very similar.  I personally am doing a camping/canoeing trip at Mohican National Park this year.  That's my idea of a bit of vacation...hehe.   I guess it all depends on your family's wants and needs.   Cedar Point is always fun as is Geauga Lake.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

colt!

Aren't they closed?  Isn't that park bought up by 6 Flags or is it now back to Geauga Lake?????

yes they are, and its still a shit hole.. dont go...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the ideas guys!!!  You have definitely pointed out a few places I was not even aware of.

Quoted:

And, last but not least there's always the Miller's Campground Experience, where you can enjoy the outdoor sports, gaming in the clubhouse, campfire chats and take in the local culture. There's a petting zoo, and your tourguide Pigpen will show you the history and flavor of a mid-70's trailer tour.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Mohican State Park is a great place to spend a day hiking and enjoying the outdoors.
There is a great covered bridge that you can go through, if you don't get to see many of those.
You can climb a fire lookout tower and overlook the forrest and hills.
It is very near to Amish shopping. Your wife may enjoy that.
You will definitely enjoy the Amish foods (cheeses, summer sausage, candy, etc...)
There is plenty of nice places to stay around there, as well.

If you guys like that sort of thing, there is a pretty cool Indian mound, called serpent mound, in south-western ohio.  It is worth a look if you are within an hour of it. (It is good history for the kids, but not all that exciting, and definitely not an all-day destination).

The Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland is pretty fun.  There is a WWII sub very close-by (1 block) that you can tour (inside).

There is a great childrens' museum in Columbus, called COSI, which is a multi-state destination that has great exhibits and is very interactive.  It is a great place for kids like yours (agewise).

Cincy has a great aquarium (Newport) that is just over the river (in KY).  They aso have a world renowned BBW rib place (Montgomery Inn).

ETA: Dearborn/Henry Ford Museum is a wonderful suggestion.  It is actually two parts... enormous indoor museum of all things Americana from all eras (from jewelry, to sewing machines, to tractors, to steam engines), and the other half is a real outdoor village of historical buildings, like the Wright Bro's house aand workshop, and Thomas Edison's workshop, etc...  It is a great learning experience for children.  You will not run out of things to do for 2 days.

ETA II: How could I forget the Dayton United States Air Force Museum!?  This is the most amazing museum in the several state region.  It is enormous, and is THE USAF museum.  It has some incredible historic airplanes.  To give a perspective of size, it has a B52 and SR-71 and B29-(I think?)
all under-roof, along with about 150 other aircraft under the same roof.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

ETA: Dearborn/Henry Ford Museum is a wonderful suggestion.  It is actually two parts... enormous indoor museum of all things Americana from all eras (from jewelry, to sewing machines, to tractors, to steam engines), and the other half is a real outdoor village of historical buildings, like the Wright Bro's house aand workshop, and Thomas Edison's workshop, etc...  It is a great learning experience for children.  You will not run out of things to do for 2 days.

ETA II: How could I forget the Dayton United States Air Force Museum!?  This is the most amazing museum in the several state region.  It is enormous, and is THE USAF museum.  It has some incredible historic airplanes.  To give a perspective of size, it has a B52 and SR-71 and B29-(I think?)
all under-roof, along with about 150 other aircraft under the same roof.

These 2 are definitely on the list.  I think we have it narrowed down to hitting these 2 places and then a night or 2 of camping in the Mohican area.  We were going to campout at Swingsets fall shoot, but the weather did not cooperate.  Since then, my girls cannot stop talking about going camping as soon as the weather clears.  

ETA:  I just re-read your post.  Do you truly need 2 days for the Ford museum?  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My recommendation - Go anywhere but Michigan.

Amen.  However, sometimes I do sneak just across the border to hit Cabelas.  The only thing worth a damn in the state up north.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ETA:  I just re-read your post.  Do you truly need 2 days for the Ford museum?  

No, but you would enjoy it more.  If you are going to the airforce museum, I would leave it up to your wife to decide on the Ford museum.  She may or may not like the village.  My wife doesn't, but she really likes the museum. FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#17]
If you visit Wright Patterson airforce museum make sure you check out IMAX...and dry icecream if its still around...yum I was actually born at WP
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
and dry icecream if its still around...yum I was actually born conceived at WP

As a kid, I thought dry ice cream was the coolest thing ever invented.  

BTW, I fixed your post for you.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was actually born conceived discovered in a top secret hangar, in a space pod at WP

Fixed again.

BTW, Kyle definately spend 2 days at Henry Ford/Greenfield Village. You can do it all in a day, but you'll be glossing over some of the coolest things. It's worth it, I think to spend a full day at each if you like history/gadgets and stuff.

Oh, and if the "Taste of History" restaurant is still there, eat the big mash potatoe sammich they make. It's heavenly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah....a pitbull petting zoo....LOL
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:52:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Cincinnati also has some very nice attractions.  You've got the Reds, Underground Railroad Freedom Center, Newport Aquarium and the entire Levy complex, the Cincinnati Zoo, and Paramount's Kings Island right up the road.

I'd say Cincinnati or Put-In Bay are both decent vacation spots right here in Ohio.

Regarding the cracks about Cincinnati above, you are going to find a shithole in any large city.  Cincinnati is no worse than Dayton or Indianapolis and better than Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, & Toledo if you take a wrong turn.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Glacier National Park is not in OHio, but it has some spectacular scenery. Mountains, wildlife, lakes, and fresh mountain air.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey!  I think Swingset knows that goat!

Notice how his rearend is all matted and rumpled while he has that "WTF just happened?" look on his face.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
wow, saw the sheep / goat in Glacier National and thought "I've hiked every inch of Ohio and I can't figure out where the hell that view would be"  Unknown corner of the cuyahoga valley?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Regarding the cracks about Cincinnati above, you are going to find a shithole in any large city.  Cincinnati is no worse than Dayton or Indianapolis and better than Cleveland, Columbus, Akron, & Toledo if you take a wrong turn.  

Cincinnati is a great city and yes, other areas do have their own bad spots, but once you hit exit 3 the city gets real bad.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:13:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Ohio has many excellent state parks with fully equipped rental cabins. Most have lakes, swimming pools and hiking trails and are located near intersting attractions. Hueston Woods, Lake Hope, Burr Oak, Deer Creek and Hocking Hills are a few I would suggest.

Stay in a cabin, enjoy hiking, biking, swimming, boating, fishing and take day trips to the local attractions.

www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/default.htm
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
When are you planning to go to Mohican?  We were there last year and are going again in June.  We are renting an A-frame for some family to stay in and I am pulling my travel trailer down.  Plan to canoe the river, horseback ride etc... for 3 days of relaxation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
When are you planning to go to Mohican?  We were there last year and are going again in June.  We are renting an A-frame for some family to stay in and I am pulling my travel trailer down.  Plan to canoe the river, horseback ride etc... for 3 days of relaxation.

Not sure yet, we have not narrowed down a date.  I better hurry before everyone takes the good time slots at work.  I am going to try to avoid a holiday weekend.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I'll be there from the 22nd through the 25th of June.  We are going to be staying at Mohican Adventures campground not far from the state park.  Let me know if you will be there at around the same time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'll be there from the 22nd through the 25th of June.  We are going to be staying at Mohican Adventures campground not far from the state park.  Let me know if you will be there at around the same time.

That looks like a pretty probable week for us.  I will keep you posted.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top