Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 12:51:43 PM EDT
I just applied for a US Fish and Wildlife job at this location. What is the area like?? How is the town, people, schools, etc....

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I live about 8 miles from Oak Harbor.  It`s just a small town out in rural farm land with small scatterded wood lots. It is is very flat in this part of Ohio. It has a nice little river that runs though it called the Portage river, with the Sandusky river about 10-15 miles to the east of it. Lake Erie is about 10 miles to the north. Very good fishing all around.  The town is not real big,3-4 stop lights,one little grorcery store,couple of bars, bank or two,two gas stations and a Mcdonalds. Good small town living. They have a good school system with alot of money coming from Davies Bessie
( a nuke plant)  Big enough school so that they have alot to offer but small enough to get a good education. All in all it`s a good place to live . I like it out here. Good luck with the job.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I live about 8 miles from Oak Harbor.  It`s just a small town out in rural farm land with small scatterded wood lots. It is is very flat in this part of Ohio. It has a nice little river that runs though it called the Portage river, with the Sandusky river about 10-15 miles to the east of it. Lake Erie is about 10 miles to the north. Very good fishing all around.  The town is not real big,3-4 stop lights,one little grorcery store,couple of bars, bank or two,two gas stations and a Mcdonalds. Good small town living. They have a good school system with alot of money coming from Davies Bessie
( a nuke plant)  Big enough school so that they have alot to offer but small enough to get a good education. All in all it`s a good place to live . I like it out here. Good luck with the job.

+1

I live close by too, and drive through there regularly.  Nice town.  It's fairly conservative around here outside of Toledo.  Did you apply to Ottawa National WL Refuge?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ohiomadman57 said it all. I lived there several years while growing up (high school) and it's a nice little town. There's no large stores there but Toledo and Fremont are close. Also it's close to Camp Perry and the CMP North.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Oak Harbor is a very nice small town. I was born there.  I am assuming you applied to the Ottawa, which is probably 10 miles n. of Oak Harbor.  Lots of outdoor opportunity in that area.  Fishing, hunting, trapping, shooting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The position with the USFW is for Fire Management Officer and was one of three locations (East Lansing and Milo, Michigan and for Oak Harbor) I selected preference for East Lansing and Oak Harbor. We have a close friend that lives in Fremont and Oak Harbor is close to Camp Perry .
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice, quiet place.

I think you'd like it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The people are good and close knit it takes a bit for them to warm up to outsiders. But if you are friendley and have a good attitude you woulnt have any problems. The school dosent get money from D.B. like it used to but they did spend it well while they were getting it. Indoor pool, indoor track acrage for the VoAg ect. Now that they dont have money pouring in from Bessie they are having a hell of a time trying to pass maitnence levys to keep the district up and running. Also for some reason there are not many ( ethnic people ) in the area I am guessing less than 10. (no opinion one way or another here just the facts)  My wife told me that when she was working in fremont that a group of men and women on her shift all decided to go to a tavern in Oak Harbor and everyone was invited.  Well the next day they asked the colored fellows that worked on their crew why they didnt show.  They stated they had heard about Oak Harbor and didnt want to get lynched. Now when I was told this I scrached my head an was bewildered I have spent alot of time around and in Oak Harbor and its people and not once had I even herd a racial slurr or off color joke let alone any type of desparaging talk.   There are alot of good people there and some of the families can trace their roots back to the founders of the townships and county. Watch out for the tourons in the busy season.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the advice. I will see what happens with this hiring process.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The people are good and close knit it takes a bit for them to warm up to outsiders. But if you are friendley and have a good attitude you woulnt have any problems. The school dosent get money from D.B. like it used to but they did spend it well while they were getting it. Indoor pool, indoor track acrage for the VoAg ect. Now that they dont have money pouring in from Bessie they are having a hell of a time trying to pass maitnence levys to keep the district up and running. Also for some reason there are not many ( ethnic people ) in the area I am guessing less than 10. (no opinion one way or another here just the facts)  My wife told me that when she was working in fremont that a group of men and women on her shift all decided to go to a tavern in Oak Harbor and everyone was invited.  Well the next day they asked the colored fellows that worked on their crew why they didnt show.  They stated they had heard about Oak Harbor and didnt want to get lynched. Now when I was told this I scrached my head an was bewildered I have spent alot of time around and in Oak Harbor and its people and not once had I even herd a racial slurr or off color joke let alone any type of desparaging talk.   There are alot of good people there and some of the families can trace their roots back to the founders of the townships and county. Watch out for the tourons in the busy season.

yes....lots and lots of tourons during the summer fishing season!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a member of Oak Harbor Conservation Club.  South side of the river  just east of town. 100yd outdoor range and indoor pistol.

http://www.ohcc.us/

Welcome to the area and good luck on the job.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top