Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:54:05 AM EDT
I have a metric buttload of 5.56 but I just picked up a match upper with a .223 chamber,I would like to keep a good supply of ammo on hand for it for just playing around but finding cheap .223 is tough so it looks like I will start reloading.

I have a few questions
1.I don't need a super high speed uber loader set up just something to run a couple hundred rounds at a time on,what would be the most cost effective (cheap) set up to buy?
2.Best place to pick up said equipment?I'm in the Cleveland area.
3.Anyone have any "pet loads" that shoot great out of an AR15?

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
ya, i do for my varmit gun all the time.

call me if u still have my number, or IM me yours, ill call u today

i can hook you up with everything, including this, i have 3 on hand for sale
www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=SM4812&Category_Code=shootingmat

sniper drag bag/shooting mat/backpack

that are SWEET!

i can sell u 1 for 140$ if u want it
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a metric buttload of 5.56 but I just picked up a match upper with a .223 chamber,I would like to keep a good supply of ammo on hand for it for just playing around but finding cheap .223 is tough so it looks like I will start reloading.

I have a few questions
1.I don't need a super high speed uber loader set up just something to run a couple hundred rounds at a time on,what would be the most cost effective (cheap) set up to buy?  I'm still loading on a Lee Challenger single stage, usually doing around a hundred at a time.  Believe me, I'm ready for a super high speed uber loader
2.Best place to pick up said equipment?I'm in the Cleveland area.
3.Anyone have any "pet loads" that shoot great out of an AR15? IMHO, don't start with anyone's pet loads.   I've seen guys post their pet loads that are way too hot for my rifle

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the addiction hobby  If you haven't been there already, the reloading forum is a WEALTH of info.  

What kind or upper did you get?  

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#3]
BTW., you do know, that you can shoot 556 out of the 223 all day long right?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the addiction hobby  

dont get me started on the JOYS of reloading  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help

joys?

the shooting :-D
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Ring you should consult ammunition manufacturers before giving such advice when Winchester says that a 5.56 mm chamber is rated to 60,000copper units of pressure and a .223 is rated to 50,000 cup. by my math that is a 10,000 cup diffrence and I havent started to talk about the fact that a .223 has a shorter leade than the 5.56x45mm.  Now a .223 can be safley fired in a 5.56x45mm chamber. You must also note that 5.56x45mm cases are thicker & stronger for reliability in their intended use in F/A military arms. Since they are thicker this affects the volumetric efficency if the case when reloading 5.56 it is often reccomended by powder manufacturers to reduce your .223 powder charge by as much as 20% when putting it in a 5.56mm case. I know this is alot to digest but do a little research Winchester has something about this on their LE side of their ammunition site. Fuolton Armory also has some info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help

What she doesn't tell you is that her    turned into when I loaded for her .357.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for any help

What she doesn't tell you is that her    turned into when I loaded for her .357.

there is still brass EVERY WHERE in this tiny apartment, dearest  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#9]

snip
it is often reccomended by powder manufacturers to reduce your .223 powder charge by as much as 20% when putting it in a 5.56mm case
snip

Uggg.  I just loaded some LC case for the first time today with start loads thinking that's still a starting place
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#10]
i load 40gr vmax with 28g w748, "29 is a max load", i load it the same in all my brass, from 223 to mil surp. i shoot it out of a savage 223 a bushmaster with 556 chamber and a flat top varmit. i also fire mil. surp. ball from all of those as well.

none of the brass ever shows any sign of high psi. and i use soft BR primers.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The effort required for loading "plinking" .223 almost isn't worth it. If you get bulk cases, you'll have to take the time to sort it and get rid of all the Berdan stuff. Then tumble, deprime, swage the crimped primer pockets, lube, resize, trim, chamfer, remove the lube and prime. Then the cases are ready for loading. I used to buy milsurp bullets and powder from Pat's Reloading at the local gunshows. In terms of actual dollars spent, it might be slightly cheaper, but there's alot of effort involved and it all depends on how much you think your time is worth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got to agree with everything Engineer said. I've done it. I've got all the gear. It isn't worth the expense, time and effort. Not when Bulk 5.56/.223 is readily available on the cheap.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#13]
It may not be worth it for plinking ammo, but for his new match upper it will be worth it for competition. In fact it is really the only way to go.

Buy a reloading manual or four and read them. Then you can look for a cheap setup from lee with all the stuff you need to get started for under $100. Then just do it. If you find you don't like it sell the stuff on the EE. ANd if you really like it you can upgrade to better or faster equiptment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I have about 7500 ready to load cases that were given to me by a customers wife after he passed away.I agree that bulk 556 is cheap and plentiful,that's why I have a metric buttload of it,but as far as 223 goes I have yet to find bulk at cheap prices.If I can crank out a couple of hundred rounds instead of sitting in front of the boobtube a few nights a week I think I will be ahead.

Thanks for all the input,I think I'm going to grab a lee set up and give it a try,I can always use it to load for my .45s if the 223 doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I can crank out a couple of hundred rounds instead of sitting in front of the boobtube a few nights a week I think I will be ahead.
Hell yea, I just sat on the floor last night and hand primed 400 cases while watching  INXS.  Will finish the last 200 or so tonight.  Then I need to powder and seat the bullets.

Thanks for all the input,I think I'm going to grab a lee set up and give it a try,I can always use it to load for my .45s if the 223 doesn't work out.
May as well spend the money and get you at least a DILLON 550, the caliber change is faster/easier than the 650, but the 650 is quicker.  You'll save a ton loading 45acp yourself.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have loaded thousands of rounds in my single stage Rock Chucker press made by RCBS.  I have tried other presses, but have found the Rock Chucker the best. It's worth the extra money. I also use mil surplus cases, and the best load I have found for the AR15 is a 55 grain bullet with 25.5 grains of Hodgdon H335. I buy bulk winchester bullets, and use only Winchester primers. At last count, I figured each round cost me about .16 cents each.  And I have a good time doing it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ring you should consult ammunition manufacturers before giving such advice when Winchester says that a 5.56 mm chamber is rated to 60,000copper units of pressure and a .223 is rated to 50,000 cup. by my math that is a 10,000 cup diffrence and I havent started to talk about the fact that a .223 has a shorter leade than the 5.56x45mm.  Now a .223 can be safley fired in a 5.56x45mm chamber. You must also note that 5.56x45mm cases are thicker & stronger for reliability in their intended use in F/A military arms. Since they are thicker this affects the volumetric efficency if the case when reloading 5.56 it is often reccomended by powder manufacturers to reduce your .223 powder charge by as much as 20% when putting it in a 5.56mm case. I know this is alot to digest but do a little research Winchester has something about this on their LE side of their ammunition site. Fuolton Armory also has some info.

I've shot every 5.56 load I could get my hands on, and I've yet to see one that's pushing the envelope on a .223 chamber. I've never had a single sign of overpressure from shooting military loads in my .223 bolt gun, not one. You'd think just once I might get a sticky extraction, or a ring on the case head, or cratering, or a blown primer? Just once?

Frankly, I'd be worried more about brass/primer failure than the strength of a reciever shooting mil. loads.

And, it's been my experience that military brass is thicker than some commercial, but not always and not as much as is claimed by the reloading manuals. I've found some commercial brass that's as thick as L.C. I've also seen some 5.56 that's thin...GP90 for instance. Good brass, but it's no thicker than Lapua .223.

I think you should start 20% lower than max data, and work your way up NO MATTER what you're shooting, or the components on hand. Then, there's no worries either way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:15:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've shot every 5.56 load I could get my hands on, and I've yet to see one that's pushing the envelope on a .223 chamber. I've never had a single sign of overpressure from shooting military loads in my .223 bolt gun, not one. You'd think just once I might get a sticky extraction, or a ring on the case head, or cratering, or a blown primer? Just once?

Frankly, I'd be worried more about brass/primer failure than the strength of a reciever shooting mil. loads.

And, it's been my experience that military brass is thicker than some commercial, but not always and not as much as is claimed by the reloading manuals. I've found some commercial brass that's as thick as L.C. I've also seen some 5.56 that's thin...GP90 for instance. Good brass, but it's no thicker than Lapua .223.

I think you should start 20% lower than max data, and work your way up NO MATTER what you're shooting, or the components on hand. Then, there's no worries either way.

I have a .223 with a match (tight) chamber in which I mistakenly fired a factory Winchester 5.56.  I had to hammer the bolt open.  I did not hurt the headspace, but I will not make that mistake again.  I will use only commercial .223 brass in that rifle.  

G & A has an excellent article on reloading for the AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney in their "Book of the AR-15" published about 6 months ago.  His suggestion to keep the loads moderate when using mixed brass makes perfect sense.  

I have been using a "Rockchucker" press for over 30 years, I have never been sorry that I bought it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I've loaded .223 in the past. I've used a single stage RCBS Rockchucker, a Hornady Projector and a Dillon 650.

In fact, it was my experience trying to load .223 on the Hornady Projector that made me buy the Dillon 650.

Depending on what you value your time at, I don't personally think you save enough $$ to load plinking ammo. On my last attempt, I used some seriously inexpensive components purchased in bulk and only ended up saving about $20/ 1000. Considering I had to trim cases and swage primer pockets, I didn't feel it was worth the effort.

OTOH, I just got a Dillon 1050 and it also came with a .223 conversion. Since it swages the primer pockets automatically, I may have to rethink it. I'm still not sure it's worthwhile for Bulk 55gr FMJ ammo, but for match or hunting ammo, it probably is.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Somewhat  similar topic
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top