Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2004 7:15:27 AM EDT
Just wondering, are you guys reporting no CCW signs to Ofcc?  I reported one last night.  I'm not sure but it seems that South Euclid police may be handing out signs to area businesses and applying some pressure to get them to post signs.  I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but I have already complained to CVS corporate management.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only come across one, that I reported.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
The Ohio FOP is passing them out , for a profit to them of course. And some have said they thought it was a law that they had to post. Now  how could that happen ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
shotar,

Is there a link to a page to report no CCW signs or do we just send them an e-mail?
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
[email protected]

Also I have not yet received a reply to my email.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#5]
they didn't reply to me, but added it to the list, pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#6]
We at OFCC probably won't reply to your email, we just don't have the time to reply to every "I saw this place posted" emails.  We do read them and add them to the list.  Keep sending them, we appreciate the help.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Having not gotten an email reply from CVS pharmacies I contact their corporate customer relations department.  A nice lady there informed me that the company has no policy in regards to the posting of no CCW signs.  She took my name and phone number and referred the matter to a district manager for follow up.  

Friends, I think this sort of direct action is exactly what is needed when we encounter this.  It would have been easier to just move on, but to take business away from a company with whom I have done business with for years without first telling them why, would just be wrong and would not be in the best interest of the public.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#8]
agreed.
that is my plan of action, when I run across any.

BTW, you need to switch from CVS to Walgreens, if available.
I had been shopping at CVS for a long time, until they built a Walgreens by me.
They are great.
Link Posted: 4/28/2004 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Are the Westland Mall in Columbus and the Finlday mall on the list? I havent checked it out yet.

Isnt it kind of bizarre that the PRO Gun Show is held in a place that has NO CCW signs on the doors? Even though concealed carry is verboten at gun shows (which is the epitome of stupidity, as far as gun rights goes), you'd think that they wouldnt give money to a place that denies people their rights.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Not only does the PRO group not want concealed carry in their shows (ironic?), but OGCA does not either.

I can't be pissed at a store for doing what our own god-damned gun organizations do.

The only thing that could top that would be if OFCC has a get-together and puts up signs. That would ice it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Traditionally and for benefit of idiots, gunshows have always barred loaded weapons of any kind.  In addition to this most firearms distributors bar people from bringing unauthorized guns onto their premises.  The reason for the latter is that it saves embarrasement and confusion in figuring out if the gun someone is trying to take out the door is theirs or was just lifted from the warehouse.  Same in the Jewelry business.  Anyone entering the corporate headquarters of Sterling Jewlers will remove and leave with security all of their jewelry including wedding bands.  If it won't come off, they will cut it off, and have it repared and resized while you are conducting your business.  This is largely the same concept.  Whatever is past the entrance belongs to the company, whatever is outside the entrance must belong to the person.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I can see your jewelry analogy, but firearms are serialized and it wouldn't take much effort to prove ownership provided dealers are keeping good records. IMHO licensed CCW holders should be allowed to bring their weapons in, but there should be a gentle reminder that these concealed weapons are to stay concealed unless their use becomes necessary.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it is just a matter of saving embarrasment on the part of the company or the location.
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I always felt a sign worded
"All Federal, State, and Local laws must be observed regarding weapons on these premises"
would be the best possible sign for any business; firearm related, or not.
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 5:18:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Traditionally and for benefit of idiots, gunshows have always barred loaded weapons of any kind.

And rightfully so, IMO.

The last thing we need are a bunch of NDs at gunshows.

Link Posted: 4/30/2004 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
FYI, I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum today and was greeted with No CCW signs. Also saw the signs posted up at Browns Stadium.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
FYI, I went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Museum today and was greeted with No CCW signs. Also saw the signs posted up at Browns Stadium.

Did you expect anything different from the lib rock hall management?  They are hold-over hippies from the '60s.

Considering the drunken rowdiness that transpires at a Browns game, no CCW there sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]
As far as the Browns thing goes, I think you will see pretty much any large venue prohibiting CCW...not to mention the fact that they serve alcohol at all sporting events, and thus likely fall under the liquor establishment clause of ORC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:42:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Just sent this email to Goodwill (following a link from OhioCCW.org):

As a law abiding citizen of Ohio, and Concealed Carry Permit holder, I am appalled by Goodwill's lack of foresight in barring me from conducting business with your company.  

As an Ohio CCW holder,
-I have had no felony convictions in my lifetime
-I have never been convicted of a drug offense
-I have no mental defects or disabilities
-I have passed a criminal background check

How much do you know about your other customers?

Your posting of signs barring myself and other law abiding citizens from entering your premises while allowing ALL other individuals, regardless of their criminal background or mental stability is an extremely irresponsible policy.

As a responsible, law abiding Ohio CCW holder, I am fully expecting a legal battle the first time a violent crime is conducted on the premises of an organization that prohibits concealed carry.  Your signs only serve as a notice to criminals that everyone on the premises is unarmed and much less able to defend themselves.

I ask you...do you want to be the first to fight that legal battle?
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Kroger is now posting "No Concealed Firearms" signs in Cincinnati.

Here is the thread I started over in general discussion:

FIRE MISSION: Kroger hyprocites banning CCW in Ohio stores

Let's blast them online and on the phone!

Thanks.

John Fenton
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kroger is now posting "No Concealed Firearms" signs in Cincinnati.

Here is the thread I started over in general discussion:

FIRE MISSION: Kroger hyprocites banning CCW in Ohio stores

Let's blast them online and on the phone!

Thanks.

John Fenton

The one here in Troy posted today. I'm going to stop in and see if I can chat with the manager tomorrow afternoon. Family of 4, I represent a significant chunk of business for him.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Not only does the PRO group not want concealed carry in their shows (ironic?), but OGCA does not either.

I can't be pissed at a store for doing what our own god-damned gun organizations do.

The only thing that could top that would be if OFCC has a get-together and puts up signs. That would ice it.

I guarantee you, we would never do that.  The only exception would be at a training class.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Here is the response received from Goodwill:

Your e-mail regarding weapons has been referred to me for attention.  The primary mission of Ohio Valley Goodwill Industries is to serve the vocational needs of men and women with disabilities.  We do so by selling donations in our retail stores and use the income we receive to provide skill training and job placement programs for the individuals who are referred to us.  Because a majority of the people who work for Goodwill Industries have special needs, we try very hard to make our environment a safe and comfortable place in which to be trained or work.  We established as a corporate policy that we would not allow weapons in any of our stores or our rehabilitation center.  This is not a reflection on your rights, but rather our attempt to encourage the safety of our employees.  I do hope that you will understand this policy and still choose to support our mission of helping to put people to work.

Sincerely,
George Palmer
Director, Public Relations and Marketing
Ohio Valley Goodwill Industries

I will pen a rebuttal later today.  Right now, I've got a crashed hard drive on my primary workstation to deal with.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#24]
On a sad and perhaps predictable note, todays Akron Beacon Journal reports that a Dairy mart store with a no CCW sign in Akron was robbed by an armed criminal.  The report states that there were 6 customers in the store at the time and that the Clerk was pistol whipped and needed medical attention.  I for the life of me can't think of who in thier right mind would post one of these come rob me signs on their premises.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#25]
FYI, as of yesterday I read letter from CVS corporate stating that they will NOT post NO CCW signs in their (Ohio) stores. Any CVS store with with NO CCW in the window means an anti manager has done this on his own. This was a internal memo from corporate headquarters in R.I.. This was shown to me by a fellow enthusiast (store manager). Whether or not this will remain policy, who knows. On a side note, I have always found CVS to be a better pharmacy with friendlier more knowledgeable staff. No, I do not work for them, just have alot of prescriptions. FWIW, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I will recheck that store when I drive by sometime this week and advise as appropriate.  As I noted, the other CVS stores in the area had no offensive signage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#27]
places that i've seen no CCW signs:
Lockheed-Martin in akron
CISP in Toledo
55 Public Square parking Garage off or W 3rd and St. Clair
i think i saw one at Clear Channel (Independence) today
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:39:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I recieved a reply from e-mailing Micro Center about its no CCW signs. Chalk up another victory. I don't buy that much from microcenter anyways I always hit pricewatch.com

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your input regarding our "No Firearms" signs.

Effective this morning, May 7th, we have decided to remove those signs. We hope we can count on your continued patronage and support.

Thank again,
Albert Rogers
Micro Electronics, Inc.
Customer Relations
614-850-3036

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I think I'll let Goodwill know that not only will I NOT shop there anymore, instead of donating all the clothes and toys that I give them, those items will instead go to the dump. Screw 'em.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Add the Acme grocery chain to the list. My wife went to acme #6 on 3200 Greenwich Rd. and they had NO CCW signs posted. Their corporate phone is: 330-733-2263.  That's $200.00 a week they won't be getting from us anymore.
As a side note, this is pretty funny (NO CCW) considering how this family run business came to be.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:00:17 PM EDT
[#31]
My Brother and I took my Mother and some other family out to eat for Mothers Day last Saturday to the local Perkins Restaurant and there wasn't just one "No CCW" sign, but two, taped on the counter where the cash register was. It's pretty rediculous
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top