Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 12:02:31 PM EDT
Okay, I don't have one in my car, but was wondering if that's legal or not? Say for example, a 7 inch blade hunting knife in my glove box like the Glock knife.

Please enlighten me, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding of the law is no...if it's not in plain sight , it's a CCW bust.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as your not a felon its not legal from my understanding....now be a good citizen and just get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Some clips from the Ohio Revised Code regarding this matter.

"Deadly weapon" is defined as any device capable of causing death, and which is either designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon (such as a gun, knife, billy, or brass knuckles), or is carried, possessed, or used as a weapon (such as a rock or cane when used for offensive or defensive purposes).

Therefore, ANY knife can be considered a "Deadly Weapon."

§ 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
 (A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on his or her person or concealed ready at hand, any deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance.

Therefore, anybody with a pocket knife is carrying a concealed weapon.

§ 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons...

(C) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than dangerous ordnance, that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon, and that any of the following apply:

The weapon was being transported in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, and was not on the actor's person...

Knife in the glove box should be OK, but I'm not an expert at interpreting the ORC.  I'd consult a lawyer or your local PD to check on their enforcement policy regarding this issue.

I'd opt for more of a "utility" style knife, as the ORC defines such a "weapon" by what it's intended use is.  If you are carrying a rock, no problem.  However, if you are carrying a rock to bash someone's head in, then you're carrying a "deadly weapon."

By going with a more "utility" style knife, you would be able to more reasonably argue that it is for purposes other than self defense.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's all up to the cop also, if you give him attitude I'm sure he would make your life miserable.

So when I'm hauling limestone for my landscape it could be a weapon, eh?
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it's all up to the cop also, if you give him attitude I'm sure he would make your life miserable.

So when I'm hauling limestone for my landscape it could be a weapon, eh?

If you tell the cop you're going to hurt/kill someone with the limestone, then it's a deadly weapon.  I wouldn't tell him that though
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#6]
If you do decide to carry a knife or other "deadly weapon" type item in your glove compartment, please, for your safety and mine, if you ever get pulled over, tell the cop straight up front that there is a knife (ice pick, hand grenade, etc.) in the glove compartment BEFORE you reach over and open it up to grab your proof of insurance or registration!

Girl I went to the academy with stopped a guy one night.  When he reached into his glove box for his registration, he picked up his personal defense ICE PICK to get the registration.  It took him a while to figure out why the nice lady officer had her duty weapon stuck in his ear and was yelling at him to drop the weapon.

Everything turned out OK, he dropped the ice pick and explained why he had it in the car, she wrote him his speeding ticket and sent him on his way (with his ice pick in his trunk, now.)

Dave
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for everyones input, but what about a swiss army pocket knife with all the folding tools? I assume it's the same thing as a regular knife, huh?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for everyones input, but what about a swiss army pocket knife with all the folding tools? I assume it's the same thing as a regular knife, huh?

Thanks

Technically, yes, but realistically, NO.  Most Ohio PD's aren't going to make a fuss about a pocket knife, and IIRC, there are many municipalities that have length regulations in addendum to the ORC. Again, as long as your intent is not to bring immediate harm to someone, and you're not carrying it around to stab someone, then you should be ok.  Like College Cop said, your best bet is to let the officer know just what's on your person and in your car up front.  1.) For everyone's safety 2.) The extra unprompted honesty will show the officer you're really a nice guy and on his side.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top