Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2023 9:39:14 PM EDT
At our local shooting spot in the las Padres national Forest there is a a sign that says welcome to the las padres national forest and 200 yards down the road there is a really great target shooting spot which is gun enthusiasts have been using for three decades. There is an entrance to a valley of hunting areas.  There really is no other areas to hunt and shoot for miles and miles because it is all rough terrain.  A bum has set up shop right at the entrance and has lived there for two years.  It has been irritating but I just would ignore him but now he is harassing people like they are trespassing on his property.   He tried to tell me today that I wasn’t allowed to shoot there anymore.

It is in Pozo California home of the pozo saloon. You may have gone to a concert there as it has become popular for being an old Timey and out in the middle of nowhere but it brings in some good concerts. A really cool little burger joint in beer joint are inside

Is it legal to live in the national forest? Can I call someone to get him out of there? There are lots of shooters losing out cause they run everyone off. I love seeing the youngsters out shootin. Good hiking spot too. Now it’s just a bums front yard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt living there is  legal.   Likewise, he's probably not able to legally interfere with legal forest use.  But, is the shooting legal?  If not, or questionable, getting the are patrolled and on the radar may hit thr shooting activity.  If shootings a known and supported activity, drop the dime.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Even if dispersed camping is legal in the area I believe there is a 14 day limit - but I could be wrong.

Are you talking about Fraser Canyon or Turkey Flats area?  I went to Cal Poly and spent a fair bit of time in the Pozo area as a Poly Goat & Penguin.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#3]
There is no way he is camping there legally.  See below.

Forest Closure

A 60-day closure order for four ranger districts (Monterey, Santa Lucia, Santa Barbara and Ojai) is in effect in response to extreme winter weather events in early January that caused flooding, debris flows, bridge, road and trail failures and serious imacts to recreation and administrative facilities.

Link to web site

Forest Closure Order 05-07-00-23-02 - Public Safety

Date(s): Feb 20, 2023

A 60-day closure order for four ranger districts (Monterey, Santa Lucia, Santa Barbara and Ojai) has been issued in response to the extreme winter storm that delivered heavy rain and wind across the Forest last week. This Order is effective January 13, 2023 through March 14, 2023 at 12:00 pm.

The closure order will be superseded or terminated when conditions and recreational access improves. Forest employees will be assessing the extent of the damage over the coming weeks and months and will scale back the closure based on improving conditions.

Over the last month, Los Padres received more than 100 percent of its annual rainfall along with extremely damaging wind events. Weather events have caused flooding, debris flows, slope failures, bridge, road and trail failures, and serious impacts to administrative and recreation facilities.

Forest Order 05-07-00-23-02

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even if dispersed camping is legal in the area I believe there is a 14 day limit - but I could be wrong.

Are you talking about Fraser Canyon or Turkey Flats area?  I went to Cal Poly and spent a fair bit of time in the Pozo area as a Poly Goat & Penguin.
View Quote

I went to the NFS web site.  Camping at all sites is limited to 14 days maximum.

If it were me, I'd stop in at a Ranger Station and have a discussion with them about this.  He's been there 2 years, already.  He is unauthorized to stop legal use of public lands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes Fraser canyon! I looked it up on google earth.  Everyone has been shooting there since the 80s. I asked a game warden if we could target shoot there when I ran into her out there and she said absolutely yes.  Gorgeous game warden named Megan from Stockton.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd1092058.pdf

No recreational target shooting allowed.

I used to work for the LP. It’s really changed since I left. It’s now run by woke leftists. I know the area you’re talking about. I used to ride dirtbikes, hunting and shooting all up in that area. Rode several rides with the Penguins dual sport ride, the Hangover race, Poker Run. Or just a burger and beer ride to the Saloon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Signed on 2/14/2023, just a month ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top