Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2022 8:18:52 AM EDT
Daughter was recently accepted and she might decide to go.  I’ve been to SD once about 13 years ago and I remember it being relatively nice
My wife lived there for a few years about 25 years ago and tells me it’s “conservative “ for CA standards and is a nice city to live in
Can anyone give me an argument to send her there for 4 years or not?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Great city. I can't think of a better place to spend a few years at college. The school is in La Jolla which is a well-to-do neighborhood. SD as a whole does unfortunately struggle with homelessness and crime like many comparable cities.

For activities, San Diego is absolutely loaded for pretty much any interest group. Hiking, fishing, pro baseball and hockey, boating, fishing, surfing, beaches. Incredible restaurants, breweries, museums. The zoo is perhaps one of the best in the world. UCSD is well known and highly regarded, she must be an excellent student to achieve admission being out of state. Attending a school like that is a great opportunity to build powerful networks and unlock unique opportunities.

How exciting! Congratulations and best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I didn’t realize how higher that school is ranked. On one list it’s in the top 10, Forbes has it as #15.  I was wanting her to go to UMD (12k tuition) but it’s looking like sunny skies are in her future
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
UCSD = great school

If you can swing it financially, send her.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Its one of the richest areas in sd so i wouldnt worry.  Beautiful beaches in la jolla
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I was accepted but choose another university because I wanted to not stay home.  That area is high cost so factor that in. One of coolest libraries though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
My son just got his BS in bio from UCSD. Great school, he learned a lot. The problem is that the USN base is just down the street, and when those planes fly by, it is really loud, so loud according to my son, the prof has to stop talking until it passes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The pattern from Miramar goes over or close to UCSD.  Back when I was in San Diego in the mid 70s, I was told at times a 3 or 4 striper might be sent out to one of the neighborhoods or some suitable spot to watch departures just to be sure the highly trained and disciplined flyers didn't somehow miss the planned noise abatement departure routes.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I did my BA at UCSD, class of 1980 when the school was a whole lot smaller than it is now.   The school has a broad array of major and minor study programs including hard sciences, music, theater and dance, and visual arts.  I majored in Psychology and did a minor in Visual Arts, mostly film criticism and video production. The faculty includes a lot of very accomplished professors.  Many faculty members are hard-core liberals but there are some conservatives who mainly keep quiet.  The medical school is outstanding.

The neighborhood is great.  Close to excellent beaches and very low crime rates.  Clean, fresh air almost constantly.

There is now trolley service to the campus to and from points south, also city bus lines stop near and on campus.

There are a few various Christian churches nearby, a few Jewish congregations, a small LDS church and a major LDS temple.

Medical facilities in the area are excellent, featuring UCSD's own medical campus, Scripps Memorial Hospital, Scripps Green Hospital just north of campus, and several medical office buildings very close to campus.  (When I was an undergraduate I often availed myself of the Student Health Center which offers many free and low-cost services.)

About all I can say that's negative about it is that parking can be difficult.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the informative replies.  At this point, I still don’t know exactly how much this school will cost us.  Also, Sept 22 is starting day so that’s really later as compared to schools here
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#10]
party party party
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The cafeteria food sucks and is the same every day. Even kids will get tired of the lousy quality after awhile.
The dorms have no A/C, small windows without much ventilation, and are very hot.
The school is decent even tho it is in commiefornia.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#12]
UCSD is a great school, and if she wants to go into a STEM field or is pre-health, there are lots of great research opportunities or clinical opportunities to build her CV/resume.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top