Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 10:48:16 AM EDT
I will soon be moving to the lovely SoCal area.
I want to bring my Ruger PC9

What are the overbearing restrictions on it?

Any problems with a Ruger P89 ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#1]
10 round mag limit.  That's about it.

No threaded barrels on pistols.

You can't carry it without a CCW.  No open carry in CA at all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Odd little hang fire
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm.  No threaded barrel you say.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Where in SoCal? (SoCal is a big place).

Welcome to a more fucked-up than it was yesterday California.

Edit: Don’t tell anyone in GD you’re moving here and don’t change your state or you’ll instantly be labeled a “Cali-tard” or “Kommiefornian” and be responsible for everything wrong everywhere else.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Somewhere near MCRD, Miramar, NSSD...

May have something to do with the flair they give us.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
North San Diego county (Oceanside) here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
10 round mag limit.  That's about it.

No threaded barrels.

You can't carry it without a CCW.  No open carry in CA at all.
View Quote
Open carry still allowed in unincorporated areas where discharge is not unlawful, and carry without a CCW is still legal while hunting or fishing with a licence, IIRC.  The former, while tending to be away from people, can still cover some pretty large areas in some counties.  There are also the open carry permits, but that really isn't relevant for someone moving to SoCal (and you can get a much better CCW permit in pretty much any county that can issue them).  Not sure anyone even bothers with those anymore.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
In that county a CCW permit may well be a possibility for you.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Threaded barrels are fine on rifles (unless I missed something) but a no-go on handguns.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Threaded barrels are fine on rifles (unless I missed something) but a no-go on handguns.
View Quote
specifically on a Ruger PC9 ?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Shooting is available free of charge on a lot of federal public land in CA.  Unlike your former or soon to be former environs.  Not sure of the boundaries in the north and east San Diego County and Imperial County.  Anza-Borrego State Park is a no-shoot area.  A really big park. All the state parks are no shoot.  Nominally no possess but I doubt too many people worry about that.

Almost all BLM land is available to shoot on, subject to restrictions on campgrounds, roads, etc.

Once you get east of I-15, it's a lot like Texas, desert, close to Mexico.  Beaches are nicer.  Surf fishing is generally for smaller fish than you see in the Gulf areas.

Before we allow you in we need to know your opinion on beans in chili, sour cream on too many kinds of Mexican food, and tacos.  Oh, and we don't want to hear about how Texas BBQ is better than Santa Maria BBQ.  You will however get points because at least Texas BBQ is beef and not pork.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gore is issuing permits to us commoners for self-defense now?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shooting is available free of charge on a lot of federal public land in CA.  Unlike your former or soon to be former environs.  Not sure of the boundaries in the north and east San Diego County and Imperial County.  Anza-Borrego State Park is a no-shoot area.  A really big park. All the state parks are no shoot.  Nominally no possess but I doubt too many people worry about that.

Almost all BLM land is available to shoot on, subject to restrictions on campgrounds, roads, etc.

Once you get east of I-15, it's a lot like Texas, desert, close to Mexico.  Beaches are nicer.  Surf fishing is generally for smaller fish than you see in the Gulf areas.

Before we allow you in we need to know your opinion on beans in chili, sour cream on too many kinds of Mexican food, and tacos.  Oh, and we don't want to hear about how Texas BBQ is better than Santa Maria BBQ.  You will however get points because at least Texas BBQ is beef and not pork.
View Quote
All very good questions.
Chili does sometimes have beans in it.  Maybe a can in 2.5 gallons of chili. Red kidney beans only though. Sour cream doesnt belong on anything, for any reason.  Oddly I do like sour cream and chive or cheese potato chips.
Santa Monica BBQ is bad. There's a couple good places in Oxnard though. CJ's is good enough i go everytime i'm in town, which used to be often.  There was alsoa  gas station in Frazier Park, I'd shank a movie star for their tri-tip

BBQ is all critters

She likes the beach, and I dont care, so we may end up in Imperial Beach
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard on Calguns that he had relaxed his issuing standards, although still well short of effective shall-issue.  Certainly a much better chance than here in LA County.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I heard on Calguns that he had relaxed his issuing standards, although still well short of effective shall-issue.  Certainly a much better chance than here in LA County.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you still have to justify why you need to carry and self-defense in and of itself is not sufficient justification.

Business owner, high crime area, lawyer/doctor threatened by former clients/patients, transporting $, etc.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 3:26:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's right--I edited my post.  I thought I had said "...on pistols" but I hadn't.  I apologized for any confusion.  Threaded barrel OK on long guns.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No flash hider.  Get a brake or a thread protector.  Doesn't have to be permanently attached (unless it's under length).

Semiautomatic centerfire rifle with detachable mag cannot have a flash hider,  pistol grip,  forward pistol grip, etc. or it's classified as an AW.

Penal Code  30515 (a) Does
the Rifle have any of these
features? Pistol grip
CCR 11
5469 (d) Forward pistol grip
Flash Suppressor Folding or
Telescoping stock Thumbhole
stock Grenade, flare launcher

https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

eta Not that any of this really matters as the new governor plans to ban ALL semiautomatics.  Welcome to fucking kalifornia.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the answers. I only have to make 18 months before they all go in storage.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
When here you are limited on handguns by whats on the roster, you can bring in any pistol assuming no threaded barrel and no 10+ mags. So get what you want before you come. Also SD has been issuing CCW's so good chance you can get one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top