Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2018 2:26:24 AM EDT
Hello CA;
I love food. I also love to make silly YouTube videos like this. I want to learn to make epic tacos. Beef (Asada) is my favorite, but in full disclosure. I am planning on making tacos out of a giant rat called a Nutria. They are an invasive species here in the PNW, and we can shoot the buggers all year long. I think Nutria tacos would be a fun video to make. Can any of you give me some guidance?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
A good marinade would do the trick.  That's really the key to good meat for tacos.  Lime juice and maybe some orange, chilies (fresh and dried/ground), garlic, onions, maybe a bit of brown sugar or something.  Cilantro might also make a good addition.  While not traditional, soy sauce (eliminating the need for salt) can go really well with such a marinade.  Dice it up good and grill it after it's been marinaded.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good marinade would do the trick.  That's really the key to good meat for tacos.  Lime juice and maybe some orange, chilies (fresh and dried/ground), garlic, onions, maybe a bit of brown sugar or something.  Cilantro might also make a good addition.  While not traditional, soy sauce (eliminating the need for salt) can go really well with such a marinade.  Dice it up good and grill it after it's been marinaded.
View Quote
Do you by chance have a written recipe, that you have used?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
It should be like eating Cuey and I don't think this will catch on too well.

Link Posted: 5/23/2018 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Adding epic to an already good taco -

Replace lettuce with jalapeno peppers sliced super-thin.

Squeeze of fresh lime just before eating

Fresh HOT! salsa (not preserved in vinegar to improve shelf life)

Avocado slice in each taco

Of course, you have meat and cheese of your choice in each one.  <-- but not RAT!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Adding epic to an already good taco -

Replace lettuce with jalapeno peppers sliced super-thin.

Squeeze of fresh lime just before eating

Fresh HOT! salsa (not preserved in vinegar to improve shelf life)

Avocado slice in each taco

Of course, you have meat and cheese of your choice in each one.  <-- but not RAT!
View Quote
Thanks for the tips. I want to make epic tacos! However, I also want to do the rat taco video. It will be fun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think it's funny that a guy from WA is in the CA hometown forums asking about rat tacos.

What do the guys from WA think about rat tacos?
View Quote
I am sure they think rat tacos are garbage. I am here because I know y'all know tacos! Step 1, learn how to make tacos. Step 2, make rat tacos. Make sense?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
P.S. - If the Jalapenos are too mild (most are), try Serrano or Hatch peppers.  Shaved thinly, these are all mild enough to eat raw and as a topping on tacos.

Personally, I don't like the taste of Habaneros, so skip those and go for paper thin Carolina Reapers if you want extra heat.  There are so many types,...
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
The Face of ARFCom
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Should be able to choke down some rat tacos if they are seasoned with some of this:

Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Face of ARFCom
View Quote
What does this mean?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am sure they think rat tacos are garbage. I am here because I know y'all know tacos! Step 1, learn how to make tacos. Step 2, make rat tacos. Make sense?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it's funny that a guy from WA is in the CA hometown forums asking about rat tacos.

What do the guys from WA think about rat tacos?
Sense, no.  Yeah, we know tacos.  But don't think too many of us know rat tacos.  That's like going to the Pennsylvania forum and asking about making rat cheese steaks.  First you learn to make sandwiches, then swap for rat meat?

Take a tortilla.  Handmade tend to be best.  Fold in half.  Fill it.  Lots of fillers and for that matter, choices of tortillas and if you want soft, crispy, etc.  But you are on your own when it comes to rat meat.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's talk cheese for a minute.

I'm going to stick to gringo cheeses.  Mexicans have a whole plethora of cheeses they use with which I am not particularly familiar.  Por ejemplo, en la semana pasada comimos tacos con queso llamado 'cojita'.

If your tacos have a white meat, lightly seasoned, use a light white cheese (like Monterey Jack on a chicken taco).

If your tacos have a dark meat, heavily seasoned, use a stronger flavored cheese (like cheddar on a beef taco).

Rat tacos, I cannot help you with.  I suspect you will very heavily season the meat.  <-- LOL!  
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I made some very tasty beef tacos with some left over cooked ribeye.

Just start cooking the cubed up meat + oil in a frying pan, add some Mexican chili powder + salt then after a couple minutes dump some diced onions into the pan and continue the stir fry everything for about 1 minute. Add chopped up cilantro into the pan at the very end just before turning off the heat. Should only take about 5-7 minutes to cook.

Warm up some corn tortillas and add the Taco Meat + Salsa and or Guacamole on top.

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Those beef tacos look amazing!
I had a conversation with my brother this weekend about eating Nutria. I have decided it is not worth the effort. I will be using the guidance from this post to hopefully make some tasty tacos. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Those beef tacos look amazing!
I had a conversation with my brother this weekend about eating Nutria. I have decided it is not worth the effort. I will be using the guidance from this post to hopefully make some tasty tacos. Thanks for all the replies.
View Quote
My dog killed and ate one last week and didn't seem to mind too much.  Freaked me out a little when I saw him eating something, investigated, and saw the head and one front leg remaining but he doesn't seem any the worse for it so who knows, you may be on to something.

Personally as someone from Washington I'm not going to be trying your rat tacos but you do you and let us know how it works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top