Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 10:33:46 PM EDT
Trying to figure out if we Californians are going to be able to buy surplus CMP 1911's when they go on sale.

I just went to the DOJ Roster site and it lists 1911's from only a half-dozen manufacturers.   The CMP 1911's may, or may not be from those manufacturers.

Not sure how that all plays out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't the roster only apply to newly manufactured firearms?  I'm almost certain that C&R at the very least is exempt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, the CMP 1911 can be sold in California.  It says so explicitly on the CMP web site.

The roster applies to most handguns that are sold by FFLs, with certain exceptions.  The well-known exceptions are in-state person-to-person transfers (a.k.a. PPT, the seller is a private individual and not a dealer), single-action pistols (with some size limitations), target shooting pistols suitable for olympic disciplines (with a special list), and C&Rs.  Any handgun over 50 years old is automatically a C&R; plus handguns on the federal ATF C&R list also also C&Rs.  There are other exceptions not relevant here.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, the CMP 1911 can be sold in California.  It says so explicitly on the CMP web site.

The roster applies to most handguns that are sold by FFLs, with certain exceptions.  The well-known exceptions are in-state person-to-person transfers (a.k.a. PPT, the seller is a private individual and not a dealer), single-action pistols (with some size limitations), target shooting pistols suitable for olympic disciplines (with a special list), and C&Rs.  Any handgun over 50 years old is automatically a C&R; plus handguns on the federal ATF C&R list also also C&Rs.  There are other exceptions not relevant here.
View Quote
Thanks -- just found that on their page.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
What about out-of-State private party sales of a handgun to an in-state private party who has their FFL?  Is that legal by California law?  (Walther PPQ)
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:01:52 AM EDT
[#5]
In general, all sales from out-of-state to California need to go through a 01-FFL (that's a normal gun dealer, not a C&R 03-FFL).  And in general, the handgun roster does apply.  There are exemptions for transfers between parent and child, for roster-exempt guns (like olympic target pistols and single action revolvers), and roster-exempt buyers (like LEOs).  But in general, the roster applies to importation into the state, which includes the case of a private party from out of state selling to a FFL in the state.

I don't remember whether there is an exemption for sales directly to a 03-FFL or a C&R-eligible handgun or not. Since they are exempt from the roster anyway, one could always process that one through a normal gun store (01-FFL) anyway, except for little things (ha ha) like the 10-day wait, the 30-day limit, the fees, the paperwork, the hassle, and so on.

EDITed to add: Never mind, saw in another thread: the 01-FFL is actually the end user.  That completely changes things; all the above answers are for a regular person buying from out of state, and processing through a 01-FFL.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In general, all sales from out-of-state to California need to go through a 01-FFL (that's a normal gun dealer, not a C&R 03-FFL).  And in general, the handgun roster does apply.  There are exemptions for transfers between parent and child, for roster-exempt guns (like olympic target pistols and single action revolvers), and roster-exempt buyers (like LEOs).  But in general, the roster applies to importation into the state, which includes the case of a private party from out of state selling to a FFL in the state.

I don't remember whether there is an exemption for sales directly to a 03-FFL or a C&R-eligible handgun or not. Since they are exempt from the roster anyway, one could always process that one through a normal gun store (01-FFL) anyway, except for little things (ha ha) like the 10-day wait, the 30-day limit, the fees, the paperwork, the hassle, and so on.

EDITed to add: Never mind, saw in another thread: the 01-FFL is actually the end user.  That completely changes things; all the above answers are for a regular person buying from out of state, and processing through a 01-FFL.
View Quote
So since the end user is an FFL does that mean I’m good to go?  I spoke to an extended family member that is LEO in California, and he said as long as the end user has his FFL then I’m good.  He’s not a gun lawyer, but I would think he would have a decent grasp on it...
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So since the end user is an FFL does that mean I’m good to go?
View Quote
No, it means that I have no idea about that situation.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, it means that I have no idea about that situation.
View Quote
I’ve heard back from another FFL, my extended family who is LEO in California, and have confirmed the buyers FFL via the ATF ezcheck site.

From what I’ve found this seems to be a legal transaction.  An FFL buying a non-roster handgun from a private out-of-State seller for inventory that can be sold to exempt residents (i.e., LEO or Military) or out-of-State.

If there is anything I’m overtly missing, please lay it on me!

Thank you for your insight so far!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Headed to CMP Saturday, hope to put hands enthuse and get some questions answered then.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Headed to CMP Saturday, hope to put hands enthuse and get some questions answered then.
View Quote
Take pictures, please. I haven't seen too many of them online.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#11]
C&R firearms are exempt from the Roster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top