Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2007 8:58:14 AM EDT
Hate to be the bearer of bad news.....

http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/CA_XGR_Gun_ID_306042C.shtml

Senate approves bill to 'microstamp' pistol cartridges

By DON THOMPSON

The Associated Press

SACRAMENTO

California would be the first state to require that every semiautomatic handgun cartridge be stamped with an identifying mark if the governor signs a bill that has now cleared both chambers of the Legislature.

The Senate approved the bill Thursday, sending it back to the Assembly for a final vote on amendments. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not said whether he will sign the bill once it reaches his desk.

The measure would require that, starting in 2010, every semiautomatic handgun sold in California would have to automatically "microstamp" each bullet cartridge in two locations as it is fired. The microscopic stamping would identify the gun's make, model and serial number.

The bill would not affect revolvers, rifles or shotguns, but supporters say semiautomatics are the weapon used in a majority of homicides committed with firearms. Unlike revolvers, semiautomatics eject a cartridge each time they are fired, scattering evidence at a crime scene.

"This is something that would be helpful in identifying the gun that was used in the commission of a crime," said Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, during Thursday's debate. "It's just giving law enforcement one more tool."

The measure cleared the Senate 21-17, with no votes to spare.

Opponents said the technology and the bill itself are dangerously flawed.

Criminals could collect cartridges from firing ranges and strew them at crime scenes, implicating innocent citizens, said Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth, R-Temecula. The firing pin that stamps the cartridge will either have to be so soft that it could be easily erased, or so brittle that it could break, he said.

Sen. Dave Cogdill, R-Modesto, argued that the bill will add "more cost and unnecessary harassment, quite frankly, of law-abiding citizens."

Similar legislation was introduced in Massachusetts and Rhode Island this year, according to the bill's author, Assemblyman Mike Feuer, D-Los Angeles. A federal bill, modeled on California's, is being considered by Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Los Angeles.

ETA: If I was you guys still living there, I'd be on the steps of the Capitol with picket signs. I'd also be pestering the hell out of the Governators' office, too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#1]
If Arnold signs it, I don't see many handgun manufacturers tooling up to do this...  of course, that's what the gun-grabbers in California want...
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it's back to my .357 revolver to do my drive by shootings .

DICLAIMER: Attention to any Law Enforcement Agency, local, state, federal, and any member of the California DOJ who may be monitoring this website. This was only a joke. Please note the, , in my post. I gave up drive by shootings many years ago .
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 9/7/2007 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
quote]

Actually, I read this same article this morning in the Press Enterprise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but please contact the Governor and let him know where you stand on this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
I'm sure everyone already knows this, but please contact the Governor and let him know where you stand on this.

+1 We let them take the "high" capacity mags and the 50BMG. Call, fax, email, write, do whatever to let Arnold know that this must be vetoed. I have already emailed and wrote a letter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Are Senator Cogdill and Hollingsworth the only politicians that don't have their head up their ass???

If this passes as law, do you think the price of semi's in CA will skyrocket to milk Kalifornians stocking up before 2010?
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Doubt Arnold would sign it. But you never know. Might be buying a lot of hand guns in the next few years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This bill does nothing but will force manufacturers to either retool or stop selling to CA.

they'll retool. the gun market in Ca. is much too lucrative.

even with the bs gun regs in ca. it is still the largest firearm market in the US.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Contacting the governor is good, but right now they're recommending contacting every assembly member you can.

This thing has failed in the assembly before, so we need to lean on them to vote NO.

If it goes to the governor's desk, then we can urge him to veto it.
Consider them leaned on.

I also emailed the governor about that idiotic lead ammo ban.  The survival of California condors was brought up as a reason for the ban.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#13]
This is just more harassment from the anti constitutional idiots. They have no intention of really doing anything to cut crime, just another poke in the eye to the pro constitutional folks.

If they want to micro-stamp something that would save allot of lives then I suggest they tatoo men who have AIDS in a discrete location that is not readily visible except by those who would benefit most from such. Of course our weak and ineffective government would consider that to invasive though it would save way more lives with that kind of stamping than this micro-stamp  thing on our guns.

Instead they want to micro-stamp the gun owner. And has anyone thought about how unsafe this is and how many folks are going to get shot unintentionally as no one is going to leave their brass at the range anymore and to pick up the brass you have to go over the line, so to speak, and some folks will do so at a bad time without thinking it clearly to be sure.

There also is the gun industry where many like these laws as it causes more gun ban hysteria and we use 6 months worth of allowance from the wife to go out and buy a six pack of the latest banned firearm (my safe is bubbling over with this stuff) and can not even afford to go fishing because we spent it all on another ban item. The shorted sited Harvard Business Graduates running these gun companies had earlier ramped up production and have lots of product to sell which in the short term increases profits tremendously so they fatten up the bonus to themselves. Never mind that in the long run they are destroying our constitutional rights in the name of obscene profits/bonuses/salaries.

Keep in mind the idiots that wrote this law are the same ones taking all those donations from the Chinese, even from convicted felons.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hey, jackass, read the by-line. Associated Press? Heard of 'em? It didn't come off the Worldnet Dailly site.
Link Posted: 9/8/2007 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome. Because we all know that bad guys don't use the illegal/unregistered weapons they have already to commit crimes. They would prefer to go out and buy a new gun under thier name!

That's just terrible. What are they gonna think of next?

(I'm formerly from CA, just here to express my pity over this nonsense)
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Does this also apply to guns purchased by government agencies?
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Does this also apply to guns purchased by government agencies?

It makes no provisions for LEO's.  

All semi-auto handguns, .22 included, period.

If passed, I suspect no more semi-auto's for Cali.

Look at it this way, if you were a major gun manufacturer why would you alter and make your product just for Cali ?  

Especially something this expensive, no way.

They just won't sell to us anymore.

It would serve the Cal. DOJ right, too.

We are saved again by those tough minded liberals.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2007 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#18]
No,

I think we will still have a choice, all from the same manufacture, and it will be like three total to choose from...

....and more importantly this will kill more FFLers because there will be less to sell.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Bottom line whether you think it's going to pass or not.  As others have stated call the legislatures.  Let us flood them with our concern.  Too much has been taken away from legitimate gun owners.  Other schemes are going to come up.  If California is completely lost to anit-gun groups or politician then other states would suffer the same fate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
    Bottom line whether you think it's going to pass or not.  As others have stated call the legislatures.  Let us flood them with our concern.  Too much has been taken away from legitimate gun owners.  Other schemes are going to come up.  If California is completely lost to anit-gun groups or politician then other states would suffer the same fate.

I agree, it only takes one state to slip off, the rest will try to follow if they can.

Link Posted: 9/11/2007 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
This is what I just sent the Governor. Write him to respectfully ask for a veto!

gov.ca.gov/interact#email

On Monday, September 10, the California Assembly voted 43-29 to pass Assembly Bill 1471.  AB1471 is now headed to your desk for your consideration.

This legislation would require that after a certain date, the make, model, and serial number of a firearm be microstamped onto the interior surface or internal working parts of all handguns in such a manner that those identifiers are imprinted onto the cartridge case upon firing.  The manufacture, sale, and transfer of handguns that do not imprint their identifying information on a cartridge case would be a crime.

I respectfully urge you to veto AB1471.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Passed house and Senate.

Governor must VETO or it becomes law after 30 days.

IF IT IS NOT VETOED, IT BECOMES LAW BY DEFAULT AFTER 30 DAYS. CALL THE GOVERNORS OFFICE NOW!

916-445-2841

Press the following to get through the automated systems
1 - English
2 - Legislation
0 - Other Legislation
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This is what I just sent the Governor. Write him to respectfully ask for a veto!

gov.ca.gov/interact#email

On Monday, September 10, the California Assembly voted 43-29 to pass Assembly Bill 1471.  AB1471 is now headed to your desk for your consideration.

This legislation would require that after a certain date, the make, model, and serial number of a firearm be microstamped onto the interior surface or internal working parts of all handguns in such a manner that those identifiers are imprinted onto the cartridge case upon firing.  The manufacture, sale, and transfer of handguns that do not imprint their identifying information on a cartridge case would be a crime.

I respectfully urge you to veto AB1471.

Note the only subject I can find for this is "GUN CONTROL", and you should click "CON" on the next page.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I done wroted the Governator an email.  How's this sound?

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

I urge you to oppose and veto AB1471.  This bill is nothing more than attempt by anti-gun, anti-freedom zealots to try and either force gun manufacturers to stop producing firearms for the California market or to price the average citizen out of firearms ownership.  Firearms manufacturers will either refuse to retool their factories to accommodate this legislation or they will have to raise their prices significantly and pass the increased production costs on to the customer.  

There is no proof that microstamping internal parts of a semi-automatic handgun would do anything to reduce crime.  Any parts that could possibly leave such an imprint on a spent shell casing can be easily replaced or modified in such a way as to render the microstamping useless.  

Microstamping can also put law abiding and legitimate gun owners at risk by exposing them to a fraudulent use of their empty shell casings by criminals at a crime scene.  Empty shell casings that have been imprinted by a legitimate gun owner's firearm can be collected at a gun range and spread around a crime scene to contaminate the scene.

Another issue is the cost of the bill.  How many millions of dollars is it going to take to set up a department designed to handle ballistics checks for these shell casings?  Do we really need to increase the size of the government again, just to put manpower and resources behind something that has never even been proven to reduce crime?

There are just too many reasons to oppose this bill and absolutely no reason to support it.  Again, please veto AB1471.  Help California gun owners keep their constitutional right to keep and bear arms.  Thank you for your time.

Spitfire75
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
CALL Gov's Sac number (916-445-2841)

Press 1 - for English
Press  2 - for Voice your opinion on Assembly Bills
Press 1 - for Micro Stamping Bill (AB1471)
Press 2 to OPPOSE the gun control bill.

Call from different phones and Press 2 to OPPOSE AB1471. You don't have to talk to anyone, just dial.
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Press 1 - for English

Call from different phones and Press 2 to OPPOSE AB1471. You don't have to talk to anyone, just dial.

Done x 2

we need more people to see this.

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Press 1 - for English

Done also.  I visit SoCal enough to know I could wind up there one of these days and hate to see things get worse.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
called and emailed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#31]
e-mailed and phone voted.  No problems getting in
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Done x 2
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#33]
phone called made, and it only took 20 seconds! i have a conference tomorrow with 150+ coworkers that i am on good terms with and they will all have cell phones with them...

for this next exercise in time management, everybody take out there cell phones and dial the following numbers
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#34]
I read about this bill in Gun Tests Mag. Did it pass?? Did the Governor sign it or has the 30 days passed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top