Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:01:15 PM EDT
Just thought I'd drop this one on AR15.com

It's old news on Calguns.net but check this out:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060410/NEWS01/604100333

The highlight is definitely the whole spin at the end about new technology and new laws hahah :D!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just thought I'd drop this one on AR15.com

It's old news on Calguns.net but check this out:

www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060410/NEWS01/604100333

The highlight is definitely the whole spin at the end about new technology and new laws hahah :D!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Does Mikes red bandana look photoshopped?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]

"The only legitimate problem right now is confusion among gun owners about what is legal and what isn't legal."

WTF? I think Allison or whatever the F her name is is the one who is confused. Bitch.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe not, it looks real here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Maybe not, it looks real here.
online.recordnet.com/headline_images/me0410assaultweapons.jpg

Man....he really should have had the feinswine AK picture in the background there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I like how acording to the upper picture, the receiver is the part that feeds bullets. Next thing you know they will have magazine registrations, and bans on magzines with pistol grips and collapsable buttstocks.

I guess this means I need to kick myself into high gear to get those last couples receivers I wanted.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]

"It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."

A pistol grip gives a weapon more support and better positioning.

If it weren't for the following sentence I'd have nominated above remark as stupidest remark ever made on news regarding firearm.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
What's with the Tickle Me Elmo Mall Ninja mask???
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

"It's really their killing potential," Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."

If it weren't for the following sentence I'd have nominated above remark as stupidest remark ever made on news regarding firearm.

What's interesting is that even the author knew that the remark about the pistol grip was so ridiculous he/she went and corrected it.  You'd think it would have been left out but I'm sure it was left in there in the hope that it would further the "anti" feeling for those not paying close attention or easily swayed by this type of rhetoric.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]

What I find very amusing is how they keep deleting threads about it over at calguns.  Bill W. said the first thread had to disappear, then it did. Then someone else disappeared the second thread. It's not national security issues there. It's already public knowledge. Your tin foil hat is on too tight if you think that thread is going to cause some sort of damage to your plans. If you want to make the site look cleaner for the masses of traffic that come visit as a result of that article, try cleaning up some of the other questionable topics, like CCW without a license.

Maybe my comments won't get deleted here.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I think that the whole "offlist" lower thing is the sacred cow of the CA. AR enthusiast crowd.

I also think that calguns has been something of a Mecca for the offlist lower movement and that's a good thing.  The problem is that it has no doubt come to the attention of those at DOJ responsible for formulating some type of policy for these lowers.  This is wild speculation, but if I were a power at calguns I would try to keep as much of the hysteria or topic driven "what can we do to save the children!", or "They shall not infringe my right to have an assault weapon" type threads all over the board (a'la the article) to a reasonable minimum.

That said, I guarantee you that DOJ already has a strategy/policy for dealing with these and no amount of good, or bad, publicity is going to change that.  The only questions are when will they officially declare that policy and what form it will take.

I think I'll probably go get a lower just for the hell of it.  At worst I'll lose some bucks on the EE later on (who hasn't!?).  At best, I'll end up with another registered AR (I'm thinking a middy).

ETA:  That F**king idiot in the article really should have stopped to think that some kooky looking asshole with a che guevara red face mask cradling a big mean child killer doesn't do much for the CA. gun owner.  Talk about making yourself a tool of the enemy.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#13]

True assault weapons, such as fully automatic Uzis and AK47s, can fire up to 30 bullets in five seconds.

Wow,, what a shitty full auto that would be.  360rpm.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]

"If they were to do away with all guns, it would be better," he said. "But since they are not going to, I would prefer to be the one with the gun"

Would it have been possible to find a bigger jackass than this to interview?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"If they were to do away with all guns, it would be better," he said. "But since they are not going to, I would prefer to be the one with the gun"

Would it have been possible to find a bigger jackass than this to interview?

Yeah, they could have interviewed someone that would say they needed it to fend off the "mexican invasion" or some stupid bubba...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What's with the Tickle Me Elmo Mall Ninja mask???

Its suppose to make us look like paranoid nut jobs.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody that really thought that this wasn't going to hit the media was dreaming.  I'm pretty surprised it didn't hit before.  Look at it this way, all the illegal aliens are getting all the press time and keeping it off the frontburner.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anybody that really thought that this wasn't going to hit the media was dreaming.  
I'm pretty surprised it didn't hit before.  Look at it this way, all the illegal aliens
are getting all the press time and keeping it off the frontburner.

I believe this was "assisted" ;)

Either a Calgunner directly  triggered it, or one of my 'media blitz' PR releases got the reporter doing 'further investigation' and she ended up with 'Masked Mike'.

While it didn't quite cast things in the light we wanted ("Lockyer is lazy") it's a good start.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF are they deleting threads at Calguns?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]

This is why legislators banned assault weapons?  Or is this just Alison's biased opinion?  I thought the DOJ was an enforcement branch of the Government.

The Calguns post is here:
www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31837
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
WTF are they deleting threads at Calguns?

Some of them. One of them reappeared, although it seemed edited from what it was. The thread didn't even seem that objectionable, unless I missed something that happened right before it was deleted. They could have just cut out a few posts, but instead the whole thread went poof.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Ramon (the admin) said he was attempting to move some threads to their proper forums but accidently deleted them instead. They may be 'reviving' them from a particular point and not all information from them was saved.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ramon (the admin) said he was attempting to move some threads to their proper forums but accidently deleted them instead. They may be 'reviving' them from a particular point and not all information from them was saved.

Bill asked for the one thread to be deleted, then shortly afterwards it was. I'm not buying the accidental deletion after seeing that. Not that it really matters, its his board to run as he pleases.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#24]

....Alison Merrilees, legal counsel for the Firearms Division of the attorney general's office, said in explaining why assault weapons were banned. "The pistol grip allows them to be sprayed randomly. You can kill lots of people without having to reload."....

Cool! I have a couple extra AR pistol grips around, I think I'll start carrying one with me "just in case".
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bill asked for the one thread to be deleted, then shortly afterwards it was. I'm not buying the accidental deletion after seeing that. Not that it really matters, its his board to run as he pleases.

The second one really was accidentaly deleted.  I saw it happen.  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#26]
What's really sad about this report and others like it is the TOTAL absence of personal firearms knowledge by the reporter* and the concept that firearms in the hands of good and true citizens is in any way wrong**.

* This is total crap:

"A pistol grip gives a weapon more support and better positioning."

** This is also crap:
"We don't need assault weapons. (It's) a trophy to put on your wall," Berendt said. "They are not for hunting but for killing people."
"If they were to do away with all guns, it would be better,"
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone that thinks a firearms primary use is hunting is a moron, and needs to be re-educated about what not only gave us Americans one of our greatest advantages in the American revolution, but also why we were able to be free in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What's really sad about this report and others like it is the TOTAL absence of personal firearms knowledge by the reporter* and the concept that firearms in the hands of good and true citizens is in any way wrong**.

Those parts you highlighted show that Allison MerrilIes has a TOTAL absence of personal firearms knowledge, not the reporter. I suspect the reporter only put that in because Merrilees is in position to give the official CA gov't view of this, as legal counsel for the DOJ. If anything that idiotic comment made MerrilIes and her gun grabbing agenda look more absurd.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#29]
The reporter made no attempt at all to point out the inaccuracy of statements by the attorney.  This is a problem with the reporter.  It is their duty to point out BS, not just report it as factual.  It is called "fact checking" and it is their responsibility prior to going to print.  It is a fact it was said but what was said is false.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The reporter made no attempt at all to point out the inaccuracy of statements by the attorney.  This is a problem with the reporter.  It is their duty to point out BS, not just report it as factual.  It is called "fact checking" and it is their responsibility prior to going to print.  It is a fact it was said but what was said is false.  

She didn't report it as factual. She reported it as a quote. Most newspaper stories involve the reporter getting quotes from relevant sources.

She did point out that the function of the pistol grip as "A pistol grip gives a weapon more support and better positioning." Which came across to me as saying "this is simply what a pistol grip does, it does not give you unlimited ammunition for spray firing, like Merrilies just claimed".  She seemed to counter the statement from Merrilees without the need to yell, scream, stamp her feet, call BS, or anything more than make a simple statement.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I think you miss my point - you don't quote mis-statements and errors without pointing them out unless, of course, you are promulgating propaganda or don't know any better.  For example,

The world is flat.  You can quote me on that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#32]
 I think you miss my point. She did point it out, subtly. The dots are all there for anyone with enough brainpower to connect the dots. The people who are going to go into hysterics about the words "assault weapon", would miss the point even if she spelled it out for them anyhow.

She didn't have to argue the point about them being for killing people, and not hunting. She had someone else talk about using them for hunting...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top