Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 8:52:59 PM EDT
Someone recently told me that I can get a permit to bring my AR-15 to CA since I moved here from Missouri.  Does anyone know anything about this?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
only if your military.

if not then its no go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I am retired; the wife is still active duty, though.  I guess she can get hers into the state and I'll just have to leave mine back in MO.

Any ideas where to start this process?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're married, should you be able to gift them to her without any paperwork? Or is that a California only thing?

As pointed out, it's near impossible to get your AW into the state. If I remember right the only way it worked was if you were active duty, and permanently stationed here and you already owned them. I could be wrong though. I have heard that the NRA is trying to get a couple bills passes in our state that would enable people to move in with their ARs, so I wouldn't go selling them off right away. The bills have a snowballs chance in hell, and even then it would take several months, but it's still a chance even if it is a minimal one.

Again, as suggested, check the pinned primer at the top of the forum.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I am probably going to ge flamed for this but try posting your question on calguns.net  there are some prety knoladgeble people there currently NRA is pushing a bill which would allow this but it is probably D.O.A.  if your lower is not on the list you can pin the mag in place or remove the grip or give it a vasectamey.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys.  I still own a house and property in MO and that is where our AR's currently are.  She could get her AR  into the state as she is still active duty, but I can't use her AR's so I am screwed for now.  

If that NRA bill does get through I am guessing it will apply to anyone moving into CA from that day forward.

Why doesn't anyone challenge all these blasted CA gun laws?  This truly is insane.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The major problem is that our districts are drawn in a way that the districts favor the anti-gun people. Even though the majority of California is pro gun (I think I heard something like 58%), the districts are drawn so that the votes go the opposite direction (high population areas with lots of votes like the LA area, and bay areas are anti-gun). Because of that it's hard to get the vote to swing our way.

Of course we almost had a chance to change that last year but none of us here really know what the hell happened there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
not sure why you can't  use her AR.  you could {and probably should} buld a ca lower.  I built mine for about $450.  if the law shakes out the way we think it will you will have to register your ca lower  as a AW but after that you can unpin the mag and whooie!  just so long as you legaly own the ca lower in the state before the list is updated.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Even if your active-duty wife gets a MAWP (Military Assault Weapons Permit) that allows her to bring in her AR, that will end when her duty in CA ends and/or she separates from service.  At that point (acutally just before) the AR would have to be moved out of state and not retained in CA.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Bill,

That would work for her as when she retires we are moving anyway.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought Kali was a community property state, whats mine is yours (between a husband and wife), and the law 'sees' them as a legal unit. If that is the case, then her permitted AR could be used by him?

As G Gordan Libby (convicted felon) stated, " I don't own any guns, but my wife has quite a collection."

If your lower is not on the list, bolt the mag in and keep it pinned as long as you are here in hell, um sorry, I meant Kali. If its on the list, just sell it and buy an off list lower, unless it has some greater value. Buy the off list lower before you get to Kali and save the DROS fees and the hassle of finding a dealer who is up on the current laws and situation (easier said than done). Lots of dealers here won't touch AR lowers because of the scare tactics of the DOJ.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am probably going to ge flamed for this but try posting your question on calguns.net  there are some prety knoladgeble people there currently NRA is pushing a bill which would allow this but it is probably D.O.A.  if your lower is not on the list you can pin the mag in place or remove the grip or give it a vasectamey.  

YOU are not gonna get flamed but the author of the question may be flamed over there. Heaven forbid you ask a question that someone may have asked in the distant past. The elitists over there flame you for such a question.

Friggin pathetic over at Calguns.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys.  I still own a house and property in MO and that is where our her ARs currently are.  She could get her ARs  into the state as she is still active duty, but I can't use her AR's so I am screwed for now.  

I fixed your typos for you.

You could still use the ARs if she was around, just not out by yourself. So when the evil weapons force you to go shoot up a playground full of children(and I read that all AWs eventually do that), make sure you bring your wife so that you are not in violation of the law.

Another alternative is to bring in both under her MAWP. Buy a stripped AR receiver here in CA, and join the rest of us in CA in waiting for them to list these as AW so that we can register them.  Then just trade over the parts from your old AR to this new lower.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top