Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:54:11 PM EDT
Taken from the DOJ's webiste:

Proof of Residency

Under Firearms Division policy and soon to be proposed in regulations, firearms dealers may accept any of the following:

Government-issued (city, county, special district, state or federal) documentation that has all of the following - - This does not include a drivers license or DMV-issued ID card:
The name of the transferee as it appears on the transferee's CDL or CID.
The name of the transferee as the transferee declares on the DROS form.
The residential address of the transferee as it appears on the transferee's CDL or CID or the address update attachment to the driver's license/identification card.
The residential address of the transferee as the transferee declares on the DROS form.

So if my C&R license, which is issued by the ATF (aka the government), has my full name and address as it is on my drivers license and as it is on my DROS form, then why can I not use it as a second form of residency when purchasing a handgun? Maybe Turner's is just wrong, but they wouldn't accept it when I tried to use it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think you could. Why don't you write the DOJ and ask them since they would be the determining authority.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know why they don't mention it on the website but it has to have a "term" as they told me aka an expiration date. Does a C&R have one?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't know why they don't mention it on the website but it has to have a "term" as they told me aka an expiration date. Does a C&R have one?

To give you an idea of what's it like, at first glance it looks just like a normal FFL license except it says "Collector of Curios and Relics" in bold across the center. To give you an idea of the information these are some of the important points on it:

Letterhead with ATF seal:
"Department of the Treasury
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
License (18 U.S.C. Chapter 44)"

Direct ATF Correspondance:
"Chief, National Licensing Center
ATF
2600 Century PKWY NE STE 110
Atlanta, GA 30345-3104"

License Number:
[unqiue to each license]

Expiration Dates:
November 1, 2008

Name:
[my FULL name]

Address:
[my address as on my drivers license]

Type of License:
"Collector of Curios and Relics" [the bold part mentioned earlier]

Chief, National Licensing Center:
signature

Purchasing Certification:
[place to sign the copied license]

Licensee Mail Address:
[Both my FULL name and address as on my drivers license]

As you can see, it meets all of the requirments on the DOJ's webpage, but the guy who I have talked to before and knows what he is talking about when it comes to guns told me they weren't allowed. I wasn't sure if there was some exception for them like passports so I didn't argue and just used something else, but I have yet to see anything to say I can't use my C&R in all the time I have been looking since then. I was getting ready to purchase another handgun and I just wanted to know why I coulnd't use my C&R to do it.

Maybe I will just write the DOJ and take their response in with me. If anyone has a photocopy of a letter it would save me time, or if they knew why I can't use it please let me know.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top