Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 4:24:54 PM EDT
I am going to be visiting San Diego for a conference in the near future.  Other than the San Diego Zoo, the Birch Aquarium and the Aircraft Carrier Museum, are there any "must-sees" for an arfcom lurker?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The border?

If you get a rental there are plenty of things to do in driving distance. Disneyland, Sea World, Hollywood, etc. You can get to anywhere in SoCal in about 3-4 hours, depending on traffic, so if you get a rental, anything SoCal is available.

I'm not in San Diego so I can't give too much advice for that general area, though I would recommend the San Diego Zoo. It's one of those things you can always appreciate going to.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, there is Sea World, if you like the amusement park stuff.  Other than that, touristy stuff is at: Old Town, Sea Port Village and the beach areas.  For dining and entertainment, the Gas Lamp district of downtown has a pretty good variety of night time activities.

Of course...... enjoy the weather.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, and Six Flags Magic Mountain is only 125 miles away from San Diego.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The model railroad museum in Balboa Park, the Aviation Museum in Balboa Park, hell just about all the museums in Balboa Park.  Shakespeare play if available in the Old Globe Theatre.  

Cabrillo National Monument on Point Loma, check out the National Cemeterey on the way out or in, you may be able to see whales off the coast and you can watch flight ops at NAS North Islnd across the way.

The Wild Animal Park up in San Pascual, and walk on out to the Condor Overlook and walk down the long way from there to the African expedition camp.  The San Pascual Battlefield State Park is just about a mile down the road.

Carnitas at Old Town Mexican Cafe.

If you can't find a lot of things to do in the San Diego area, you might be dead.

If you really really want to go to Tijuana, you can take the trolley down to the border and a txi to Ave. Revolucion.  And be smart.

Command Museum at MCRD SANDIEGO
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

MCRD SANDIEGO

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in San Diego but recently moved to Texas.

Make shure to check out the Hillcrest area and visit "The Brass Rail".  You definately need to check those out.  Also "The Brass Rail" is located in the Hillcrest area.  You will definately like those places.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you go to the USS Midway museum theres a resturaunt near it called The Fish Market, its pretty good food.

Do not go to Hilcrest unless you are... well... into that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Guys!  It looks like I will have a fun trip!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted: Hillcrest area

That's just wrong

If you go to Sea World, don't forget to attend the Beer School. Other than that, the above posts said it all. Also, if you like the country side you can go to Julian and eat some homemade apple pie or Mt. Laguna for a nice lodge.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a tour of the Stone Brewery (Arrogant Bastart Ale guys) in San Marcos/Escondidio.  About 30miles north of downtown SD.

Go on a half day ocean fishing cruise.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
pacific beach bar hopping.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm back!

San Diego was really cool and I had a great time.  I didn't get to do much outside the conference though.

I spent three hours going through the Midway and was one of the last people off before they started a private holiday party.  As I was leaving, they were setting up lights and a disco ball for the party.  The disco ball seemed out of place  I also had time for a quick trip through the zoo.  The zoo in San Diego is much better than the one here in DC.

The weather was much nicer there as well and people actually let me into traffic when I put on my turn signal -- it was like being in another country!

I may have to take my wife and daughter out there next year so we can do the Zoo and the aquarium.

I didn't make it out to The Brass Rail -- which is probably a good thing -- not my kind of bar.

Thanks for all the advice.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
They don't call it America's finest City without reason.  Wasn't an easy decision to move up to the OC.  maybe I'll win the lottery and move back.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They don't call it America's finest City without reason.  Wasn't an easy decision to move up to the OC.  maybe I'll win the lottery and move back.

I believe that the AFC tag was recently removed from the city's Web site due to the recent downhill slide of city coffers and other political embarrasment, sad to say. I still think it's a great place if you've got to live in a city (prefer rural environs, myself).
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
+1 on the USS Midway aircraft museum.

Sea World is nice even for people without kids.

Plan on 1/2 day for the USS Midway.  Lots of walking and stairs. to which my 15mo daughter had to climb each and every stair

I layed down in a bunk and almost didn't fit, and I'm only 6'1"

There's the old town district with good food and beer
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe that the AFC tag was recently removed from the city's Web site due to the recent downhill slide of city coffers and other political embarrasment, sad to say. I still think it's a great place if you've got to live in a city (prefer rural environs, myself).

Oh dont worry we are americas finest city again our new mayor took care of that
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#18]
La Pinata in old town has the FINEST Mexican food anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Casa de Bandini used to be pretty good for fancy stuff.  Casa de Pico was to touristy.  Casa de Pedroena used to be the best but it closed.

Old Town Mexican Cafe used to have the best carnitas in town.  El Indio used to have a fantastic reputation, but that must be based on lunches, over the last 20 years, I have been more and more disappointed in dinners there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
La Pinata in old town has the FINEST Mexican food anywhere.

Naww, no one can beat the food that the 'Bertos make (Robertos, Humbertos, Juanbertos, Dosbertos...).
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Balboa Park Airplane museum is one of the best in the world!  Tijuana has some great strip joints with hot Tamales!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top