Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:41:44 PM EDT
I have job offers in the above cities.  Are these areas with low crime,no gang or spray paint symbols etc. I know the housing will be $$$. Thanks for any help you could give me. Good shooting ranges?
I believe these are Mendocino and Sonoma Counties

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Willits is in the country, housing is cheap[for California]. Lots of hippies and pot smokers up there.I think the sheriff is pro gun and issues CCWs. There is BLM close by to shoot on.And lots of places to hunt.  I was up there hunting a couple weeks ago the pics are here.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=207958
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Willits is in the country, housing is cheap[for California]. Lots of hippies and pot smokers up there.I think the sheriff is pro gun and issues CCWs. There is BLM close by to shoot on.And lots of places to hunt.  I was up there hunting a couple weeks ago the pics are here.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=207958

Yup if it's Mendocino county watch your ass when you're out in the woods near other peoples property. I've got family that owns land in Philo and Mendocino and the pot problem is huge. On the bright side, the Sheriff will issue a CCW and your pot card
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Willits is a nice little place.  Middle of Redwood country.  Unfortunately the lumber industry in that area has tanked, but you should be able to get a nice place.  Close enough to drive to the big city (San Francisco on a day or for a nice weekend but too far too commute.)  I hope you like real trees and real mountains, especially compared to FL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. The only downer is yes, there is big time weed farmers up there.

I had a friend from the Shasta area tell me about the huge drug farming in the remote N. Cal areas.

I am a former Cali resident. Florida (aside from being VERY CCW friendly) is not for me.

Way TOO much NYC/ Boston here  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
willits is only about 35 miles from some good salmon fishing in Fort Bragg on the coast
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Try the steak sandwich at Perko's Cafe in Willits.

That area is pretty. Not sure about the economy and job situation.

Take highway 20 from Willits to Fort Bragg for some good sightseeing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

eggcellent choice. perko's is one of my favorites
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I ate there last week, had a tri tip sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
My father lives not too far from Willits,a little town called Covelo.If you can get a good job,Willits is a great little town.Easy drive down a great twisty road to Ft Bragg,Salmon fishing on the Eel river,not too far a drive to Reno and Tahoe.

No BS about the pot growers up there.A lot of it has moved indoors,but there is still a sizable amount of outdoor growers that hire illegal aliens to guard the plants with "assault weapons" and I think I even heard of booby traps strung to a grenade.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No BS about the pot growers up there.A lot of it has moved indoors,but there is still a sizable amount of outdoor growers that hire illegal aliens to guard the plants with "assault weapons" and I think I even heard of booby traps strung to a grenade.

Most of the indoor operations are closer to the coast to keep it out of the fog. Alot of the wineries and people that own LOTS of land run into problems with people growing on their property. I know a guy up there that owns alot of land and we were out wheeling on his property with him and one of his old barns in the middle of nowhere had a whole bunch of weed hung up in it. That shit is allover the place there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have kids? Years ago there was a company up in Willits that might have been a chrome shop or something on an industrial scale, (don't remember) but it spread some serious toxics that messed up a lot of people. I'd check that out carefully before deciding where to move in that area.

Forestville is a small community a few minutes NW of Santa Rosa. I moved out of that area several years ago but I keep in touch with friends. The Real Estate market is beyond insane. The politics of many locals are almost on par with Berkely. However, it is a very nice place and if you can afford it, you wouldn't regret it.

I can't imagine what is going on in Forestville that would bring someone cross country to work there. If you have to work in Forestville proper, you might live an easy commute away in Santa Rosa, Sebastopol, or toward the coast along the "River" if you need affordable.

That place is a story in itself. There was an unsuccessful attempt to build a TV show around what goes on there. Two-year-alcoholics and just about every female teenager an unwed mother. Guerneville is... Just don't bother making a joke about that Bar called the Rusty Nail. The whole place is like that.

River Road is a beautiful winding two lane unsafe highway that winds through that area. Many accidents and the way locals drive makes it much worse.  

Edit to address your specific questions. Gangs- yes in Santa Rosa. There are several areas in Santa Rosa that have serious problems. Corby Ave, Apple Valley, Indian Village and South Park next to the Fairgrounds mostly. Sebastopol Rd is Little Tijuana.

Shooting Ranges: two, assuming they are still open. One is Montana Hawk, an indoor range and gun shop in Cotati twenty or so minutes south. The other is the Circle S Ranch in the country west of Petaluma. Shotgun, Rifle 300yd iirc and handgun. Nothing fancy and you will drive about 45 minutes to get there.

There is also a BLM 4WD Rec area with a shooting range about a couple of hours away. I've never been there. I think it is called something like Cow Mountain.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:11:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do you have kids? Years ago there was a company up in Willits that might have been a chrome shop or something on an industrial scale, (don't remember) but it spread some serious toxics that messed up a lot of people. I'd check that out carefully before deciding where to move in that area.

Link

Damn, I remember that now. Bad deal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies gang. I think we will pass on Willits.
Too many cons outweigh the pros on our list. Thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top