Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 10:44:58 PM EDT
Is there a good source out there for people in the PRK?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hit and miss, I think midway even sells some.

Someone at Calguns was selling some recently, AR mags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
do a search for member BLACKGUN. He's a real good guy....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
So many magazines these dates have a date of manufacture on them.  They may not say, "LEO Use Only" and are claimed to be "unmarked".  The thing is, the ban is date-specific.  

How many of you want to try and expalin to a LEO, a DA or a judge that even though the magazine body was made after the cut off date, the magazine body was imported only as a replacement part and not as a completely new magazine.  Then, sir, shortly thereafter, they came out with those nifty, new followers.  You also had to try those nearly infinite life, chrome-silicon alloy springs which you just had to try because your old ones were wearing out and not functioning well any longer.  The floorplates were replaced later because the originals were scratched during practice.

"This is my Great-Grandfather's axe.  It is so old, I had to replace the handle three times and the head had to be replaced twice.  This is my Great-Grandfather's axe."
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The above is why it is recommended that you hold on to your busted/worn out/replaced preban mags/tubes.  

Even if a mag tube does not have a date on it, it may be possible that there are other characteristics of the mag that they could use to prove that it was not preban.  If you are not replacing tubes you had before the ban, you are in violation of the "law", and if you are caught then they will have to prove your guilt.

Now, if the tubes you have are preban and therefore they cannot prove that the mag was not built after 2000, then the only issue is whether or not the mag was in CA before the ban.  I would think it would be impossible for them to prove that, unless maybe you weren't a resident at the time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The above is why it is recommended that you hold on to your busted/worn out/replaced preban mags/tubes.  

Even if a mag tube does not have a date on it, it may be possible that there are other characteristics of the mag that they could use to prove that it was not preban.  If you are not replacing tubes you had before the ban, you are in violation of the "law", and if you are caught then they will have to prove your guilt.

Now, if the tubes you have are preban and therefore they cannot prove that the mag was not built after 2000, then the only issue is whether or not the mag was in CA before the ban.  I would think it would be impossible for them to prove that, unless maybe you weren't a resident at the time.

Mag replacement bodies are perfectly legal to buy and import into the state end of story.

That is the bottom line.  They are legal. They are a part not a magazine itself.  

Don't let people scare you because they are scared of their own state laws.

Show me an incedent where someone has been questioned about the date stamp on a replacement body.  Go ahead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mag replacement bodies are perfectly legal to buy and import into the state end of story.

That is the bottom line.  They are legal. They are a part not a magazine itself.  

Don't let people scare you because they are scared of their own state laws.

Show me an incedent where someone has been questioned about the date stamp on a replacement body.  Go ahead.

Thank you.  No flame intended at all for some of the previous posters but people are putting way too much thought into this and how it might be construed by some as illegal.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses.  But just to be safe, I'm gonna keep my old mag bodies.  I have a lot of old mags with busted floor plate tabs or mags that have begun to "spread."  Sure'd be nice to replace them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  But just to be safe, I'm gonna keep my old mag bodies.  I have a lot of old mags with busted floor plate tabs or mags that have begun to "spread."  Sure'd be nice to replace them.

I replaced some of my 30 rounders recently with mag bodies purchased from ARF.COM's own BLACKGUN.  He is in California and was selling some bodies.  He did me right,  and those new bodies did the trick.  

Mags are functioning 100%.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they USGI mag bodies?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are they USGI mag bodies?

yes
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
BlackGun still have's mag bodies if your interested for 15.00 dollars. u can't beat that!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want to order the bodies from Brownells here are the stock numbers:

20 rd -  100-001-984
30 rd -  100-001-985
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone know the quality of these "Peace River" replacement magazine bodies at Brownell's?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
check the ee. people sell complete mags for around $10. i would think they will strip the mag and send you the body for the same price.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Call me paranoid, but I'd rather NOT be in possession of any mags that have date stamps after the ban, because you just NEVER know!  Blackgun, unfortunately, has stamped mags.

What about the BROWNELL mags?  Any good?  Anyone have a link?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Call me paranoid, but I'd rather NOT be in possession of any mags that have date stamps after the ban, because you just NEVER know!  Blackgun, unfortunately, has stamped mags.

PARANOID
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PARANOID

+1  Once again someone please cite an situation where you or someone has been questioned about the date stamp on a replacement body.

Relax a little bit guys.  I don't know who's more scared,  the people who actually think CA gun laws make sense or you people who abide by these laws.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PARANOID

+1  Once again someone please cite an situation where you or someone has been questioned about the date stamp on a replacement body.

Relax a little bit guys.  I don't know who's more scared,  the people who actually think CA gun laws make sense or you people who abide by these laws.

Its like when someone is speeding.. they KNOW they are breaking the law yet nervous and looking in their rear view for the cops. 99.999% of the time NOTHING happens... its that .001% that something MAY happen. I have NEVER had a police officer come up to me and ask for registration papers (even though I carry them in my range bag... JUST IN CASE!) or ask to look at my mags.

Cops have more important things to do. I have never even seen the new mags so where are the dates stamped? On the body itself or on a floorplate?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
check the ee. people sell complete mags for around $10. i would think they will strip the mag and send you the body for the same price.

So, when one gets sent a mag body can they send you the floor plates, too?  Or does it just have to be the COMPLETELY stripped mag body?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#21]
They are usually stamped on the body.  It is usually just a date code - 06/05 (June, 05 date of amnufacture).  Everyone ignores the "LEO/military use only" markings, they have no legal bearing but the date of manufacture does.  

I wish the magazine manufacturers would stop this practice unless required by the specific contract they are fulfilling.  It causes nothing but potential grief for legal owners in occupied states when they replace a worn out magazine body.  It instantly establises a prima facia case for illegal magazine importation and shifts the burden of proof from the police to the citizen.  All by itself, it could be used as the basis for arrest and prosecution.  You'd then, de facto, have to prove it was legal.

If the date code was not present, they'd have to prove you illegally imported it into the state and used it to manufacture a brand new magazine.  If you keep your old, worn out magazine body as evidence of the repair/replacement you would have a pretty "bullet proof" defense case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
They are usually stamped on the body.  It is usually just a date code - 06/05 (June, 05 date of amnufacture).  Everyone ignores the "LEO/military use only" markings, they have no legal bearing but the date of manufacture does.  

I wish the magazine manufacturers would stop this practice unless required by the specific contract they are fulfilling.  It causes nothing but potential grief for legal owners in occupied states when they replace a worn out magazine body.  It instantly establises a prima facia case for illegal magazine importation and shifts the burden of proof from the police to the citizen.  All by itself, it could be used as the basis for arrest and prosecution.  You'd then, de facto, have to prove it was legal.

If the date code was not present, they'd have to prove you illegally imported it into the state and used it to manufacture a brand new magazine.  If you keep your old, worn out magazine body as evidence of the repair/replacement you would have a pretty "bullet proof" defense case.

But a lot of money, time and effort defending yourself in court including a possible initial arrest.  After you win, expect no compensation for you loss of funds.  All this over a legal to own mag body with a manufacture date stamp.  Damn manufacturers
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#23]
you can legally buy all of the hicap mag parts. if it is not an assembled mag it is only parts. if you assemble a new mag instead of repairing your old pre2000 cali ban mag then you broke the law. as long as you have one original part in the mag you are legal. i would also keep the worn/broke parts from your pre2000 ban mag as proof.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
you can legally buy all of the hicap mag parts. if it is not an assembled mag it is only parts. if you assemble a new mag instead of repairing your old pre2000 cali ban mag then you broke the law. as long as you have one original part in the mag you are legal. i would also keep the worn/broke parts from your pre2000 ban mag as proof.

It may not happen for this generation, but there's a lot of technical felonies just waiting to hook people.  For instance they can start busting anyone who was born after 2000 in posession of a magazine which holds more than 10rds.

It's going to happen one day unless we change the laws.  I think today protecting our rights at a Federal level is easier than at the State level.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
you can legally buy all of the hicap mag parts. if it is not an assembled mag it is only parts. if you assemble a new mag instead of repairing your old pre2000 cali ban mag then you broke the law.

as long as you have one original part in the mag you are legal.

i would also keep the worn/broke parts from your pre2000 ban mag as proof.

I beg to disagree with the highlighted assertion.  All parts are subject to wear and replacement.  Eventually, you will have had to replace every part of the mag.  There's no legal basis for needing to retain one piece part.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
you can legally buy all of the hicap mag parts. if it is not an assembled mag it is only parts. if you assemble a new mag instead of repairing your old pre2000 cali ban mag then you broke the law.

as long as you have one original part in the mag you are legal.

i would also keep the worn/broke parts from your pre2000 ban mag as proof.

I beg to disagree with the highlighted assertion.  All parts are subject to wear and replacement.  Eventually, you will have had to replace every part of the mag.  There's no legal basis for needing to retain one piece part.

Mike is correct.  Show me where the law says that...
Once again everyone here in CA is pumped full of fear.  This is the very reason we have these shitty laws.  People are misinformed and scared of guns and make ridiculous laws.  And you all are scared shitless of their unconstitutional laws.
Either you guys are doing other things that are illegal and you are afraid of incarceration,  or you are just paranoid.
I personally don't see a law abiding person going to federal prison for a magazine part that was legally purchased.
It's sad that you guys are scared of a freaking magazine part being mistaken for illegal.  That is more scary to me than the opressive gun laws in CA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may not happen for this generation, but there's a lot of technical felonies just waiting to hook people.  For instance they can start busting anyone who was born after 2000 in posession of a magazine which holds more than 10rds.

It's going to happen one day unless we change the laws.  I think today protecting our rights at a Federal level is easier than at the State level.

I don't want to be the test case, but it is legal to find regular(hi) cap mags as you are not purcahsing, nor assembling, nor trasferring.  So if one was to stumble upon a box of regular cap magazines, it would be completly legal for one to keep them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

... it is legal to FIND regular(hi) cap mags as you are not purcahsing, nor assembling, nor trasferring.  So if one was to stumble upon a box of regular cap magazines, it would be completly legal for one to keep them.

That's it!  We need regular air drops of hi cap magazines out in the desert.  If we just happen to find them, well, they are ours to keep.  

It's a kind of "Berlin Air Lift" sort of thing.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#30]
im down for air drops
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Anyone know the quality of these "Peace River" replacement magazine bodies at Brownell's?

Well, if the mag bodies are the same as these:  Brownell Mags  then they are good to go.  The famed Pat Rogers gave them a "thumbs up" in an AAR at the 10-8 forums.  Probably need to call Brownells to see if their replacment mag bodies are the same ones used for their "complete" mags.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if the mag bodies are the same as these:  Brownell Mags  then they are good to go.  The famed Pat Rogers gave them a "thumbs up" in an AAR at the 10-8 forums.  Probably need to call Brownells to see if their replacment mag bodies are the same ones used for their "complete" mags.

High Capacity 30-Round Magazines

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

20 rd -  100-001-984
30 rd -  100-001-985

do these mags bodies have dates stamped on them?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 rd -  100-001-984
30 rd -  100-001-985

there is a thread on the Brownell mags here
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=248638&page=1

"Mag bodies so far have been the same as the completed ones.

No date stamps but I do not think they will ship to Cali or Jersey or HI, may want to call and make sure."

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 rd -  100-001-984
30 rd -  100-001-985

No date stamps but I do not think they will ship to Cali or Jersey or HI, may want to call and make sure."

they will ship to PRK..  ive ordered in the past..   i talked to another dealer who let brownells set the precedence.  brownells hired an attorney to go through the hoops and actually see if it was legal for them to sell regular cap bodies to cali..  and guess what..    it is legal, and they will ship to cali    whether its stamped or not, its a part,  i suppose it would be in the best interest to avoid stamps, just for the paranoia...   but if you have options to get unstamped, why wouyld you choose to get stamped ones?   its legal to get replacement parts..  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:35:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

20 rd -  100-001-984
30 rd -  100-001-985

they will ship to PRK..  ive ordered in the past..   i talked to another dealer who let brownells set the precedence.  brownells hired an attorney to go through the hoops and actually see if it was legal for them to sell regular cap bodies to cali..  and guess what..    it is legal, and they will ship to cali    whether its stamped or not, its a part,  i suppose it would be in the best interest to avoid stamps, just for the paranoia...   but if you have options to get unstamped, why wouyld you choose to get stamped ones?   its legal to get replacement parts..  

from Brownells

"The current mag bodies do not have any date stampings on them.  There is
a manufacturer stamp on the inside which is hard to see.  I have been
told that we will be date stamping them soon, but do not have a specific
date that that will start."

Dean Batchelder
Technical Support Gunsmith
Brownells, Inc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:48:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Come on it. Once you're wet the water feels fine!

Don't be scared.  Just ease yourself in.......OMG SHARK!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#39]
bump for good info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top