Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 11:57:39 PM EDT
What are your thoughts on the CA Legal DSA58s?

Where can I buy/order one?  How much should I pay for one?

If I leave Kalifornia for good, how can I convert it into its normal configuration?

www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=01&Subcat=SA58%20California%20Models&storeid=1#
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
DSA is high quality stuff, can't go wrong with them, but it will be the most expensive. ORF also makes a Kaliban FAL, using refurbished "kits". They also are very good, and recently did a SEAK job for this site.
I've just been building my own, but that involves some specific tools.
And converting to "normal" operation is just replacing the mag release and top cover.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
IM Sent

MT
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm building one up right now.

I bought the DSA STG-58 parts kit ($300) then I need to get the receiver (Imbel series 3 $200), and then send it off to Century Gun Works for assembly and refinishing ($285 service grade with finish stripping, reparkerize, inlaid painted lettering, and serial matching)

Plus the cost of the replacement 7 parts, which should be arounf $100 - $150.

I personally would rather assemble a firearm than buy it new for more... I'm not sure why. This will be the third firearm I've assembled - (CA)AR-15, FAL, and 80% 1911.

From my estimates, assembling your own can save around $500 compared to buying the same thing from DSA

ETA: Do-it-yourself CA-legal FAL modification www.webshooters.org/diy_california_fal.htm
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent info. Thanks!leelaw, by thw way, one question about the receiver. (In CA), is it legal to acquire a stripped FAL receiver without any proper modification? Or it is necessary to modify the mag latch and attach a 10-rounder before purchase?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Excellent info. Thanks!

leelaw, by thw way, one question about the receiver. (In CA), is it legal to acquire a stripped FAL receiver without any proper modification? Or it is necessary to modify the mag latch and attach a 10-rounder before purchase?

From my readings of the AW laws you can not buy a FN FAL receiver because it is banned by name, however the clones are not illegal., so you can buy them. However, even though the receiver is not banned by name, it is possible to make it banned by feature if you assemble it incorrectly, in the wrong order, or without the other features (fixed magazine, or sans-pistol grip)

ETA: Don't forget to make sure you comply with federal import laws!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#7]
another vote for acquiring a stripped receiver and have it built up.  However if you do get a DSA one I believe they will convert the mag release back to removable for free if you do move out of this hellish state.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
another vote for acquiring a stripped receiver and have it built up.  However if you do get a DSA one I believe they will convert the mag release back to removable for free if you do move out of this hellish state.

That is pretty generous of them, though I, for some reason, am a fan of doing things myself..  

At least then I know exactly who I can yell at for f!cking up!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is pretty generous of them, though I, for some reason, am a fan of doing things myself..  

You do know that DSA welds the mag into the receiver right...?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?!? Oh hell no, forget it then! I'd rather have a modified magazine catch that I can switch out for a normal one in 15 minutes for $12 when I move to a new state.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know where you heard that. I saw 10 of them on the shelf the other night. All DSA CA legal rifles with the stripper clip feed upper cover. The mag can be removed using a tool. It is NOT welded in.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
to my understanding the mag catch is spot welded, also something about a different ejector block?  They may have changed this but I've heard this from a couple of different places.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top