Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 8:53:52 PM EDT
fellow gun toting americans,

i'm looking to put together a tactical/riot shotgun.  from what i have gathered so far, the popular models:

Norinco 98
Remington 870
Mossberg 500

the add-ons i want to use are:
pistol grip
top folding stock
heat shield
mag extension

all of these add-ons seem readily available from a bunch of different web sites.  wondering which models you guys thought were the best, and where is the best place to purchase them (somewhere in the socal area would be great).  thanx for you imput.

dan
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone has their own favorite shotgun.

Mine is the Mossberg 590.

I suggest you visit as many gun stores as you can and see what you like.

Try http://www.turners.com/

Link Posted: 8/26/2003 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 590. Nothing wrong with a Mossy 500 but I prefer the 590 better, and you can get it with ghost ring sights from the factory.

Quick question: Have you ever shot a pistol-gripped shotgun? Very punishing to the wrist and it can't be aimed worth a crap. If you're talking about a full-length buttstock with a pistol grip like a Speedfeed stock then those are okay, but I still prefer a standard buttstock.

Another thing, I'm not sure if folding stocks are legal on post-ban shotguns. Anybody else know for sure?

The mag extension is a good idea but I think heat shields are mostly for show and I don't have much use for one. Also, I'd get a sidesaddle and/or a buttstock shell carrier for extra rounds, and a good sling, and you'll be all set.

Turners is a good store. www.turners.com/

You might also look for opinions in the shotgun forum on this site.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#3]
ditto what BigBear said

either a moss 590, 500 defenders are ok too
or rem 870, i would prolly reccomend the 870.
getting small parts for the 870 would be easier, ive learned that mossberg kind of does things there own way.
like the bead sights are off thread, and the mag tube is a slighty smaller, we tried to fit a 12ga end cap for a spring in a mossy and it wouldnt go into the 12ga tube -- weird.

only bad thing i can say about the rem870 is the ejector can break, but only after constant long term of storing the gun with the action open and after many years or hard use. replacement is expensive since its rivited in, ive only heard of this on duty guns that are stored open, and never on a civie gun that gets proper care, so dont sweat it.

my friend took a shotgun instructors course with a bunch of cops and there were a lot of mossys out there, but most had the vang comp system.

keep a watch on the turners site, rem 870 special defense model comes on sale about once a month for about $300. its ready to go with bead sight and tube extension.

forget the top folder - its only useful in the movies, and if storing your gun in a small space is required.
my brother has a side folder and its neat but added a lot of weight to the gun, making it not so fun to carry.
folders and P grips are legal in kali on pump shotguns, and fun to play with but arent really used for serious play.

look at what the cops are using and go with that, since they are the ones who use the thing on a daily basis and have to pass shooting classes.

go with the tube extension, the rem and mossys already got it.
you have to use a short 4 rnd side saddle for the rem870 with long handguard, or change out the handguard for a short one and then use a 6 rnd saddle, changing it can be a bitch.
then a buttstock shell carrier and a good sling.

get profficent with that, before adding on $100 ghost rings and $300 vang comps.
you can buy the pistol grip only and play around with it, but dont bother with the folders.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Pumps are not covered by the AW Ban. Put on what you like.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
any opinions/thoughts on the norinco?  or is it just a cheap imitation of the mossberg and remington?

-dan
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Well I looked at a Norinco out of curiosity.  (I have an 870)  I was marginally impressed.  Let's just say it looked like they used drywall screws to fasten the ghost ring on.  Countersink better or use a machine screw that fit better would solve that.  

How will they last? I dunno.  I know the Cowboy 97s took about 3 years from the first imports to becoming a really good gun.  However, the mechanism on an 870 is nowhere near as complex as the 97.  Cosmetically other than the sights they looked OK.  That said Norinco may not be in the picture for a few years.

If you are saving $100 or so over a Remington for a fun gun, take it out to the desert and beat it up.  Go for it.  If you are buying it as a home defense gun, I don't think I'm quite ready to recommend it yet.  The late model 97s hell yes, the 870 clone ???.  By the way you can slam fire the 97s as designed by John Browning.  An 870 can't be safely slam fired.

I don't know enough about the Mossies to comment on them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree about the comments above regarding a folding stock.  I prefer a full length pistol grip.  I also don't see the need for the barrel shroud.  Instead of these 2 items, I'd rather have a good set of ghost ring sights.  But that's just me.
Go to turners.com and sign up for their emailing list.  They'll send you a list of the sale items 1 or 2 days before they hit the paper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
what is slam firing??  i never heard of such a thing...

-dan
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Slam firing is when you close the action with the trigger pulled and the gun fires.  So you can hold the trigger back and fire it as fast as you can work the action.  The 97 is designed such that the hammer won't fall until the action is safely closed.  If it happens with most other weapons you have a major safety problem.  In other words the action isn't completely closed when it goes off.  An 870 won't slam fire.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Forged 870 reciever. It's a whole 'nother world than Mossbergs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I have an Ithaca Model 37 that will slamfire. It was made in 1966 before they started putting disconnectors in them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 1:59:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Try the Winchester 1300 Defender, it is so smooth, I love mine, I have the 12 and 20 ga. for my wife.

Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#13]
that's freakin' awesome!!  how much does something like that run??

-dan

p.s. that is what i call home land defense!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
hey has anyone heard anything about valtro shotguns?  they specialize in detachable mag shotguns.  just curious if anyone had any opinions on these kinds of shotguns.

check out their web site: http://www.valtrousa.com/shotguns.html

-dan
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
that's freakin' awesome!!  how much does something like that run??

-dan

p.s. that is what i call home land defense!!

You could actually do that to any shotgun, the 1300 goes for about $300.00 and then you can spend $150.00 dressing her up.
I just added a nasty looking muzzle brake to mine,

If you insist on a pistol grip, please look into knoxx industries, they are the best you can get, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The Remington Top folder is painfull to shoot.

Get the Remington 870 HD, 7-shot mag w/ synthetic stock. $299.99 at Gold coast until 9/13.

That or a Benelli M1 Super 90. However the Benelli is ammo, and stance, sensitive...
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:40:42 AM EDT
[#17]
You could always get a Saiga 12 guage semi-auto.

You can bump-fire these! (Ask Cav-Vet, lol)
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]
semi auto mag fed shotguns are illegal in kali under BS23 -- sorry no saigas

the one in the pic looks like the 410 model, which WILL bump fire. my 12ga wont, at least wont put out more than 2 rnds before it jams.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Nothing wrong with Moss. 500/590 my buddy's got 3 of them. The only problem I can see with the Moss is the plastic safety switch on top of the receiver, it can break and disable the gun, it happened to my buddy. You can easily replace the plastic piece with a metal one yourself for about $5-$10, I can't remember the exact cost of that piece. I really like the placement of the Moss safety because it is truly ambidextrous.

Personally for me, I like the Remington 870 even though the safety is right-handed specific near the trigger. If you plan to acessorize your shotgun with all kinds of goodies, there are more accessories for Remington 870 than any other, next would be the Moss 500/590.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 9:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey! Didn't I already say get the 870?

So this discussion is over!

Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#21]
hey did anyone see my post on the valtro?  it is a pump shotgun w/ a detachable mag.  any thoughts???

-dan
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I got an FN Tactical Police SHotgun.

I just added a heatshield and sidesaddle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top