Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2003 7:47:06 AM EDT
If you have any gunsmithing work, do not go there.  I brought a Remington 700 to have a Vortex installed in early March, was told it'd be two weeks.  Two months went by and nobody contacted me, so I called up and spoke to the gunsmith.  
"I have the Remington 700 rifle, is it ready?"
"It's too long to put on a lathe"
"Just when were you about to tell me about this? It's been there for two months!"
"Oh I was in the middle of 14 things"
Never an apology from either him or the lady that runs the store/range, either on the phone or when I went there to pick it up.
I wasn't in a hurry and do understand it could take a while, but their customer service is beyond bad.  I'm used to dealing with incompetent telco and ISP support/service so nothing really shocks me, but this is a small store that seems to still have retained the old world customer service, I was obviously wrong.
More idiotic things from this old grumpy a hole:
"Do you carry AR parts?"
"What do you need?"
"I'm looking for an A2 flash suppressor"
"We don't carry any AR parts"
Then just say so in the beginning!

This is the same dumbass that gave me trouble re: Vortex.  After seeing my rifle accepts magazines and has a thumbhole stock, he was clearly puzzled...
Me: "It's a bolt action, and that is a thumbhole stock, not a pistol grip"
"Ok then it's legal"
Me: "Of course!"
"Not of course..."
Whatever the hell that meant, he doesn't understand the laws which he seemed to want to impose on me.

For a local store that can't compete in pricing, an indifferent and lazy attitude is just what they need to commit business suicide.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you mean Agoura, and that's Davis Gunsmithing?

I had them install the heavy mini14 barrel some time ago.  He did a good job.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Chain, Agoura it is, oops.  
The rest of the folks there are friendly and helpful, they impressed me enough to resolve to give them whatever business I could give them, I would have dumped serious money there over the years since the gun shop in Oxnard closed.  While he may have done a good job for you and many others, I'm certain his crappy attitude isn't reserved for me exclusively.
Everyone makes mistakes and forgets things, this is not the reason I'm trashing him.  He is indifferent, insolent and wasted my god damn time!  As a consultant that bills for his time, there's nothing I hate more than people that waste mine and then not apologize for it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you mean Agoura, and that's Davis Gunsmithing?

LOL
Are there any other gunsmith/stores in Agoura Hills?  I knew exactly who you were talking about. Thanks for the info Duffy.  And about committing business suicide, well I think that area has been a jinx for quite a few previous gun enterprises.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I still use the indoor range at Agoura, but I don't let them work on my stuff. I got a wierd feeling from the 'smith.

Duffy: The owner of the gunshop in Camarillo recommended a 'smith in Newbury Park, who's supposedly knowledgeable, and reasonable. If you're  interested, give Scott at Camarillo Shooter's Supply (805.484.3768)a call for his name, as I lost his card.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, you were right, the Oxnard range did reopen. I'll have to check it out again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
lol, threading a barrel would take less than 1/2 an hour imho.

barrel not fit on lathe?!?! unless they have a jewelers lathe or miniPOS, it should fit...the headstock has pass through on like 99% of the lathes.  unless the lathe was too close to the wall and it kept the barrel from being clamped in the ideal position(not too far out from the chuck) then they are blowing smoke...or that 1%.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info Elarski, I'll call him up
I think he was just blowing smoke up my ass, even that piece of lie took 2 months in coming.  George was here when I called them, he was incredulous too.  This barrel isn't for an Abrams' main gun, chances are he plain forgot about it and came up with a lame execuse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top