Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2022 10:25:12 AM EDT
As a long time, Florida resident, I should know this, but I want real world answers from the hive.  

I have been thinking about getting a large freezer. The issue is that I would have to keep it in my garage.  I live in Pinellas County, my home is made of block construction, title roof but the garage is not air conditioned and, in the summer, it does get warm, and you can feel some humidity.  

Would the freezer be working overtime to keep everything frozen that it would not be worth it?  

If I would be good to go, what brands should I look into?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#1]
been doing it for 40 years, no problems
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It might use a little more power because of the warmer temperatures and get a little dirtier but it'll basically be happy there in the garage.  The seals don't work as well on ours because it's an older fridge/freezer and we have to clean off the mildew every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've kept a freezer in my garage (central FL) and in my hunt camp (north FL) for years (20) w/o issue. It wasn't until a year or so ago I started leaving the A/C on all year in the hunt camp to combat the mole and musty smell that accumulates during the hot and humid summer.

Like mentioned, it might run slightly more, but I'm not sure you would notice a cost difference vs. keeping the freezer in the house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a upright freezer in my garage for the 45 years I have lived in this house.  I had to replace the first one I bought after about 25 years.  I am now on my second one and it is going strong.

You may have trouble finding a wide variety of brands to chose from.  Fridges and freezers are being affected by the supply chain.  I had to do an emergency refrigerator replacement this summer and it took 3 week to get one delivered.  After a bad experience at a large dyi store and a lot of looking around, I finally bought one from Best Buy.  Never had to go to the store, bought online and they deliver without issues. I never considered Best Buy my normal go to place for a refrigerator, but I would use them again
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Just across the bridge. I have a crappy chest freezer I bought on Craigslist (age unknown) that’s in the garage and works great.  Occasionally I have to chip ice off the side from opening and closing it all the time. You’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a chest freezer in my garage (Central FL). No issues at all.

Had a fridge/freezer combo in my garage when I lived in CT. Worked fine in the humid summer and for most of the year. But when it got to be 20-25 degrees or less for too long, everything in the refrigerator would freeze and everything in the freezer would thaw out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
We don't have a garage, but the freezer we have in the laundry room spent its first five or so years on the porch in the Keys. That was over 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My experience in S FLA, 7 Cu Ft, it died in a year. Compressor went. There was also always water coming from the seals. My garage was 120 in the summer. Rarely opened it cause no car was in it.

This time around I made room for it inside a bedroom. I put a large washer drip pan under it in case it leaked.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in Lee County.  Have had my 20 year old Whirlpool side by side in the garage for 4 years now.
No real problems.  The freezer side is fine.  The fridge side, in the summer, you have to get in and out quickly.  It does take a little longer to get back to temp.
Not really a big deal.
I have a chest freezer in the laundry room also.  Bought a cheap Magic Chef ( $169 ) from Home Depot.  Awesome freezer.  No problems after 5 years.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#10]
It's fine, just make sure you disable/switch out the GFCI wall outlet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't buy anything that has fancy electronic defrost components...
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
made the mistake of bringing our freezer from up north, when we moved to FL. it died after 8 yrs. went to go buy a new one and the store said freezers are built different for each region. haven't had a problem since we bought the new freezer in FL. it's works great in our garage. by the way, we also have a fridge out there too in case you're thinking of having an extra fridge.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Just don't forget to put some sort of "i'm working" light on it, or set up some way of failure notification.

We had a freezer we went into about once per month.... one month, I guess it had been dead for a few weeks..... ugh....
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m in Pasco and have no problems.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#15]
No problem with our chest style in a detached garage in the Ocala area.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone I know (in Florida) has a second freezer in the garage. I’d say it’s the norm. Without basements, not really another good place to keep one.

It will work harder and use more energy but it’s what most people do. Keep it out of direct sunlight. Make sure it has the manufacturer’s prescribed ventilation around it.

Link Posted: 1/23/2022 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#17]
All depends how hot it gets in your garage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top