Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2021 10:42:54 AM EDT
Can you explain to me why in the love of god it is so hard to get an affordable home owners policy in FL?

I live in a town home. I don't have a home owners requirement for my mortgage. I only carry a $50k policy on my residence but it has more than doubled in the last 10 years to I'm trying to find a new poliicy. The god damn agent won't give me a quote for the same coverages I have now. She seriously sent me quotes that ranged from $2300 to $8000 a year..
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on where.  Prices are quite reasonable when you live an hour to an hour and a half from either coast and aren't in a flood zone ..  at 50k that would barely cover all of your non-structural stuff, but that may be covered under a HOA policy or something.  Oh, and rebuild costs are insane right now.  I'm looking at taking down a non-load-bearing wall, fixing a leak issue, and replacing most of the flooring in the house (mostly forced by the wall/leak fixing).  To just "put it back" to the way it currently is (think 80s country-life kitchen....) would be $35k or so, so we're spending the extra $15k to replace the original 80s carpet now that our youngest is 11 and we are hopefully past the "spill everything everywhere" stage of life... and that extra $15k will add 2-3x that amount to the total value of the house...

If your 50k coverage is really only for belongings and interior stuff (carpet, drapes, etc) then could you form a company/llc, have it own the townhouse and you rent it and then get renters insurance to cover your contents?

Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on where.  Prices are quite reasonable when you live an hour to an hour and a half from either coast and aren't in a flood zone ..  at 50k that would barely cover all of your non-structural stuff, but that may be covered under a HOA policy or something.  Oh, and rebuild costs are insane right now.  I'm looking at taking down a non-load-bearing wall, fixing a leak issue, and replacing most of the flooring in the house (mostly forced by the wall/leak fixing).  To just "put it back" to the way it currently is (think 80s country-life kitchen....) would be $35k or so, so we're spending the extra $15k to replace the original 80s carpet now that our youngest is 11 and we are hopefully past the "spill everything everywhere" stage of life... and that extra $15k will add 2-3x that amount to the total value of the house...

If your 50k coverage is really only for belongings and interior stuff (carpet, drapes, etc) then could you form a company/llc, have it own the townhouse and you rent it and then get renters insurance to cover your contents?

View Quote

Well now see renters ins in another option. Thinking about my fiancee to take out a renters policy. Not sure I could get the same coverage for everything I need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
In addition to our hurricane, tornado, and sinkhole hazards, Florida also has laws structured to make insurance litigation very lucrative for plaintiff attorneys and those in similar orbits.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Give Todd Johnson at Allstate a call at (386) 788-4400.

I recently got an HO6 policy from him with similar building coverage for around $600 a year. I'm in West Palm Beach which isnt exactly a cheap area for insurance.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine went up $800 this year.  I'm up to $2500 / yr.  
Irma was the last storm we had.  That was 3 years ago.
Insurance companies, and the local news, are saying it's because of all the "free roof" scammers.  Eg: Marlin Roofing.
Can't wait to move out of "paradise".  Hopefully a year and a half from now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top