Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2018 2:56:52 PM EDT
Ask all your questions here.

Real estate, schools, which schools are safe, gun laws, is it a good neighborhood, taxes, where to hunt pythons,
what kind of boat do I need, gun laws, who is running for office.

How to prepare for a hurricane, why does it rain so much, can I park in front of Publix instead of choosing a parking place.
Availability of elderly care for grandma & grandpa or why do all ambulances run non-stop in the winter?

Why does the beach make my eyes burn, where did all the dead fish come from?
Why can't my children swim in the pond or why look in the swimming pool before you jump.

Why does my car have a sign on the back that says, "Please respect the locals."

Welcome to Florida.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Four things.
Buy real estate in the tail end of the monsoon season. Cypress trees in the yard are a bad thing.

When you enter any natural body of water, salt, brackish or fresh you enter the food chain.

Driving in the rain with your fukn emergency flashers on is illegal dumb ass.

You will have to budget in a generator and window shaker A/C in the master for the days/weeks after a hurricane with no power. You will not be able to sleep with the windows open at night because all your neighbors will have their POS contractor grade genny's running all night long. It will sound like the feature at the riding lawn mower races.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll jump in...

No-See-ums are a real thing. We aren't screwing with you about why you're getting eaten alive at dusk.

It's called a palmetto bug, not a cockroach. Just throw a saddle on it and ride it out the front door.

If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes or cross the street. It's going to change.

Love bugs have been proven by NASA to dissolve the paint on your vehicle. You've been warned!
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Four things.

You will have to budget in a generator and window shaker A/C in the master for the days/weeks after a hurricane with no power. You will not be able to sleep with the windows open at night because all your neighbors will have their POS contractor grade genny's running all night long. It will sound like the feature at the riding lawn mower races.
View Quote
My genny has 220 but BIL has to hook it up. I am a DF at that sort of thing.

You also have to learn how many hours a day and when to run the frig and freezer to get the job done. Elec = gas money. Has to be a budget in their somewhere.
Irma was probably $100 gas money for us poor rednecks, plus bills, plus car gas etc. Had to get gas from Ft. Myers and truck to Naples.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
all your neighbors will have their POS contractor grade genny's running all night long. It will sound like the feature at the riding lawn mower races.
View Quote
Good luck getting 3 hours sleep at night before you play lumberjack the next day if you do your own work.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Back some years ago we went 3 weeks in August without electric and never took a direct hit.

Oak trees felt like air conditioners in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Collier County millage rates:

County 3.5938
School-State
School-Local 2.2280
Dependent .8069
Water Mgmnt .2545
Independent 1.6832

Garbage $414.78

Collier County Traffic:

Congested 7 months of tourist season.
Ghost like otherwise.
Naples, cops ticket for 1 mile over.
County will give 5 or more mph.

Schools: Cops present during ingress and egress. They don't take any sh!t.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome stuff.  I'm looking to relocate.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff OP.  I’ll forward the thread to my wife.  We will be in Naples looking at houses next month.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What options in the Pensacola area for internet service?

Highest speed possible please.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed.  We're looking to move to Tampa this fall.  Wife's a nurse, I currently work for Amazon doing robotics repairs but may not look to transfer, as I'd have to go from third party to first party employment.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you consider Okaloosa County to be Pensacola Area, COX Cable is about it for wired internet.  Of course you can go with your own Wi-fi hotspot using cell phone technology.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just over the county line in Santa Rosa County (Pace) we have access to AT&T fiber optic lines. We switched to them from our shitty cable company. You'll have Cox Cable (SR Co. has Mediacom). Not sure if the AT&T option is available to you but you can go on their website and there's a link to check if your address is part of their fiber optic network. We've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck getting 3 hours sleep at night before you play lumberjack the next day if you do your own work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
all your neighbors will have their POS contractor grade genny's running all night long. It will sound like the feature at the riding lawn mower races.
Foam ear plugs.
Or
Buy enough land
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#15]
If you live on the beach, you only own to the Mean High Tide Line.  That is sometimes called the “wet foot” rule.  Anybody / everybody can walk along the beach as long as their feet are in the water.

But, getting your feet wet can be an issue.  If your neighbors will not let you walk through their yard, you might as well not be near the water.  In my area, the houses on the south side of the road have beaches.  The houses across the road have a ~10-15 mile drive to a Public Beach Access.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread needs pinned, I had to go back three pages to find it.

There's a very good chance that I'll be reaching out about a job in the Orlando area, but the wife and I are wanting to live closer to Tampa.  Are there any good areas to look for an apartment on the East of Tampa that would be easy to hit the highway?  Maybe something around Plant City or Lakeland?  I'm not at all familiar with the area, so if I don't want to live there then please say so, but from Plant City I'd be looking at about an hour commute which I can live with.  I'd rather it not be worse than that.  My wife is a nurse and would need to look for a job as well, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This thread needs pinned, I had to go back three pages to find it.

There's a very good chance that I'll be reaching out about a job in the Orlando area, but the wife and I are wanting to live closer to Tampa.  Are there any good areas to look for an apartment on the East of Tampa that would be easy to hit the highway?  Maybe something around Plant City or Lakeland?  I'm not at all familiar with the area, so if I don't want to live there then please say so, but from Plant City I'd be looking at about an hour commute which I can live with.  I'd rather it not be worse than that.  My wife is a nurse and would need to look for a job as well, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
View Quote
Florida is different south of Ocala... what kinda job you lookin for?  You may be happier in the areas around Gainesville
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Florida is different south of Ocala... what kinda job you lookin for?  You may be happier in the areas around Gainesville
View Quote
Right now I'm looking to stick with my current job (Amazon)

I'm also trying to stay reasonably close to my grandfather in fort Myers
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Four things.
Buy real estate in the tail end of the monsoon season. Cypress trees in the yard are a bad thing.

When you enter any natural body of water, salt, brackish or fresh you enter the food chain.

Driving in the rain with your fukn emergency flashers on is illegal dumb ass.

View Quote

Worth it's weight in gold.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#20]
OK, as a brand new resident that lives on 10 acres in the sticks, I'll chime in.

Bugs....BIG.FUCKING.BUGS.  I've got a golden orb weaver spider outside my screened in porch that will roll you for your lunch money. No shit, almost as big as a beer can.  We have an agreement. She stays in her web catching smaller bugs and I dont hit her with Wasp spray.  We have named her "Molag Bal" (kids gave her that name from some video game reference to a demon or some shit).

Fire ants.....fuck them and everything about them.  Terminate with extreme prejudice.  I think the wife is the only one that hasnt suffered a bite.

Coming from the Seattle area to here we have had to learn to "slow down".  Everything is "round to it".  Everything moves much slower here.

Wild life......LOL!  Out here...EVERYWHERE.  I just threw a couple rounds of .22 at a bob cat that set off the back yard flood lights.

I love this place.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:19:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Fire ants: You will learn soon when you step in a soft spongy spot that you just stepped in a mound  of fire
ants.

Had to shuck my  britches twice down here.

Second time was when a young bull was chasing me around a tree.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK, as a brand new resident that lives on 10 acres in the sticks, I'll chime in.

Bugs....BIG.FUCKING.BUGS.  I've got a golden orb weaver spider outside my screened in porch that will roll you for your lunch money. No shit, almost as big as a beer can.  We have an agreement. She stays in her web catching smaller bugs and I dont hit her with Wasp spray.  We have named her "Molag Bal" (kids gave her that name from some video game reference to a demon or some shit).

Fire ants.....fuck them and everything about them.  Terminate with extreme prejudice.  I think the wife is the only one that hasnt suffered a bite.

Coming from the Seattle area to here we have had to learn to "slow down".  Everything is "round to it".  Everything moves much slower here.

Wild life......LOL!  Out here...EVERYWHERE.  I just threw a couple rounds of .22 at a bob cat that set off the back yard flood lights.

I love this place.
View Quote
Lol.

Always look where you....
Sit
Step
Grab
Squat
Shit

Have outdoor buildings/sheds
Always Watch what you
Grab
Move
Open
Touch

Its a common theme..youll get used to it.

Then again..i was drying off in the shower last night..pull the towel off my head and theres a 3 inch wood/wolf spider on the shower floor..
Heres 32oz of sauve coconut oil body wash you 8 legged devil spawn..crunch..
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Then again..i was drying off in the shower last night..pull the towel off my head and theres a 3 inch wood/wolf spider on the shower floor..
View Quote
I read that part aloud to my wife and she asked "who on ARFcom uses coconut oil body wash".....LOL!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I read that part aloud to my wife and she asked "who on ARFcom uses coconut oil body wash".....LOL!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the wifes...
I swear...
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only things that move fast down here are NASCAR and The Blue Angels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top