Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 6:21:21 PM EDT
Anyone between Panama City and Jacksonville interested in helping an AK newbie build his first AK? I have a couple of the NDS $43 -74 receivers sitting here (need the magwells widened a bit, I have instructions) and I think I finally sold my Kel-Tec, and I'll be ordering an APEX Bulgarian kit as soon as I get the money from it.

So, I'll have all my parts, but I live in a tiny little apartment in Tallahassee and none of the needed tools or experience. I'm willing to pay in cash or booze for a hand with this. Is there anything else I'd need to buy beyond that kit to make this gun 922(r) compliant?

Thanks for reading,
GD
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you need enough US parts to be compliant (piston, trigger group, floor plates, brake, furniture, etc, your pick).  You will need either a press to remove the barrel or a gear puller (which is a lot cheaper), and you can re-install the barrel with 1/4" threaded rod and some nuts.  Pick up a spot welder for welding the rails if they are not already welded.  You can squash rivets with a modified set of bolt cutters.  When I did my builts, parts kits were $100, and it cost me another $100 in tools plus a little more for US parts... came in somewhere around $175 per rifle when I was done.  Times have changed unfortunately.

Check out the "build it yourself" forum. I have done a few AK builds myself (bent from flats) and it's not difficult if you can use a dremel.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes you need enough US parts to be compliant (piston, trigger group, floor plates, furniture, etc, your pick).  You will need either a press to remove the barrel or a gear puller (which is a lot cheaper), and you can re-install the barrel with 1/4" threaded rod and some nuts.  Pick up a spot welder for welding the rails if they are not already welded.  You can squash rivets with a modified set of bolt cutters.  

Check out the "build it yourself" forum. I have done a few AK builds myself (bent from flats) and it's not difficult if you can use a dremel.  

http://prettyshinythings.info/puf.jpg

http://prettyshinythings.info/rg.jpg

This is actually a virgin parts kit with a pre-drilled US made barrel, just going to have to buy a FCG and 1 other part to be in compliance (I'm going with a Tapco pistol grip).

Was hoping to do it with some folks from the board, and just get together and do it and have a few beers or something afterwards, but it looks like that's not gonna happen. Ah well.
Top Top