Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:27 PM EDT
This is in reference to the radio traffic that I constantly hear.  If you want you can IM me.

1.  What does it mean when they say (If you have anything for the "incident report" call your station)  Why is an "incident report" different than a regular call.

2.  What does it mean, when the dispatcher does a 40 over 40 under.  I am more interested in what the over and under means.  Also what does it mean when they say a "40 pass"

3.  How do you separate a "2" or a "3" call.  If I am correct a 2 or 3 you are running with lights and sirens.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This is in reference to the radio traffic that I constantly hear.  If you want you can IM me.

1.  What does it mean when they say (If you have anything for the "incident report" call your station)  Why is an "incident report" different than a regular call.

"Incident Report" is a log completed by a sergeant or someone else detailing significant events that occurred during the shift for the command staff to read in the morning.

2.  What does it mean, when the dispatcher does a 40 over 40 under.  I am more interested in what the over and under means.  Also what does it mean when they say a "40 pass"

40 Under = misdemeanor criminal history (past) / 40 Over = felony criminal history (past). There is some rule that prevents broadcasting the specifics about prior criminal history over the air.

3.  How do you separate a "2" or a "3" call.  If I am correct a 2 or 3 you are running with lights and sirens.

Calls dispatched as a "3" allow for a "lights&siren" response. Two schools of thought on this: some agencies allow the LEO discretion as to how to respond, and others will have dispatch assign the response code for you.

Thanks

Dade County radio traffic is different than the rest of the state due to use of "Q-codes" instead of "10-codes" and a signal system different than pretty much everyone else int he state.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Incident Report" is a log completed by a sergeant or someone else detailing significant events that occurred during the shift for the command staff to read in the morning.

40 Under = misdemeanor criminal history (past) / 40 Over = felony criminal history (past). There is some rule that prevents broadcasting the specifics about prior criminal history over the air.

Calls dispatched as a "3" allow for a "lights&siren" response. Two schools of thought on this: some agencies allow the LEO discretion as to how to respond, and others will have dispatch assign the response code for you.

Thanks

Dade County radio traffic is different than the rest of the state due to use of "Q-codes" instead of "10-codes" and a signal system different than pretty much everyone else int he state.

QRU brother.....

Incident Reports are reports that we as officers have to write after reporting to a scene. Some calls don't require it.... If I was dispatched to a 34 (Argument) Domestic and both parties on scene are don't wish to press charges against each other and there is no signs of battery then no one would be arrested but I would still have to write the report.

A no report call is I'm dispatched to a 25 (Alarm) Silent and when I arrive the home owner is on scene and shows me that it's accidental. There is no need to write a report about that.

40 Over - Felony Past
40 Under - Misdemeanor Past
Traffic - Means Traffic
Alpha is sometimes used to express that the subject has a past of battery on a LEO or FF.

So it could go like this......

40 Over/40 Under Alpha Traffic QRU

QRU means that the subject does has a past but nothing is pending on them right now.

3,2,1.... Some PDs run it the other way. Most down here in South Florida run it this way.

Priority 3 - Lights & Siren, haul ass.
Priority 2 - Lights & Siren, respond with some effort and speed
Priority 1 - No Lights & Siren, respond like everyone else fighting through traffic

A 3 call is usually something like a 315 (Emergency Backup) or a 332 (Major Fight) or a 330 (Shooting). A 2 can also be a 32 but it's not like they're killing each other. Usually kids at the high school in a fight or a shop lifter trying to flee the store or the Lost Prevention Officers of the store. In the end.... it's really up to dispatch since they get the info and tell us what's happening.

Miami Dade County uses Q Codes

QRU - Good, Okay
QRX - Wait
QTH - Location
QSM - Repeat
QTR - Time
QSL - Go Ahead with Transmission

The Q Codes originated from Aviation and the fact that Police in Miami-Dade County use it is actually quite rare.... Q Codes are rarely used for ground based operations. Also Police have modified their original meaning to some degree.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
AWESOME, thanks for the info....

All you LEO's stay safe and "GET SOME" 39's

Thank you all for your service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top