Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:22:34 AM EDT
Hi all, I'm going to be headed to the Tampa area next week for four days.  I'll be bringing the GF with me, so unfortunately gun stuff will be minimal... .  But the purpose of the visit will be to see the area, with thoughts of a possible relocation.  I have spent some time in Key Largo, Orlando, Jacksonville, Gainsville, and the east coast from Ft. Lauderdale to Daytona.  I haven't seen a part of Florida that I didn't like.  I was in Jacksonville for the Border Disorder match last fall.  

What can you tell me about the area, and can you make suggestions for areas that I really ought to see that would help my decision?  My job, when I'm done with school will be portable, and I'll be able to make a living virtually anywhere.  (See sig line)

I grew up on the water, and would eventually like to locate in a small town within a half hour or so of the coast.  Gun friendly is a requirement.  I shoot IDPA and three gun so an area with good access to clubs would be idea.  

I've been told by folks more knowledgable of the area than I am, that the pan handle wold be a good fit, so I will be checking that out another time.  

I grew up in the midwest and if I never saw snow again, it wouldn't break my heart.  

Anyway, thanks for any advice.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
email me offlist and I'll be glad to fill you in on Tampa.  

I've been in there area since '74.

Also, I'm selling and moving to Gainesville, so if you want a house...  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
This is just my opionion but its really starting to get overcrowded. Houses are really expensive for what you get. And when you come down make sure you have full coverage on you auto insurance, we have some wacky drivers.

Now we do have some good things. If you like to drink and party we have Ybor City. Its 30 or so Bars and Clubs on a one mile road. You will be 20-30 min. away from Clearwater and St Pete Beach. We have multiple gun stores. Depending on what you like to shoot (distance) you might have to drive to get what you like. Indoor ranges are not really had to find. During the summer you will want the A/C.

Oyeah we also became the 4th Most expensive city in Florida
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I probably wouldn't want to be too close to downtown.  Are there rural areas east of Tampa worth looking at?  

A plus for me is that I see the housing bubble bursting in the next couple of years.  So hopefully it will be a buyers market when I'm ready to put money down.  I know that's not a good thing for folks who just bought houses.    Unless they plan on staying for a while.  I've already been away from my "comfort zone" for a few years and would like to set up in one location for a long time.  

At this point, I have a lot of options open to me.  I'll be starting the job hunt this fall so I'd like to have a general idea of where to look.  

Thanks,
Wolffie
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Might want to try NW Hillsborough county........(Suburbs of Tampa)

Carrollwood, Northdale, Citrus Park.........

I've been raised in Odessa.......20 min to downtown Tampa, 20 min to Clearwater, and 20 min to Tarpon Springs/New Port Richey..........all the orange groves have been replaced by housing developments though :(

South Tampa is expensive and somewhat trendy.......central tampa is....well.....a strange mix of "renewed interest" neighborhoods, cuban/latin neighborhoods, and .....well....some dangerous neighborhoods.

Not much E. of downtown untill you get to Brandon......

Tampa is a cool place to live......breaks my heart to be moving to (anti-gun) Massachussets
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Might want to try NW Hillsborough county........(Suburbs of Tampa)

Carrollwood, Northdale, Citrus Park.........

I've been raised in Odessa.......20 min to downtown Tampa, 20 min to Clearwater, and 20 min to Tarpon Springs/New Port Richey..........

Those commutes are on weekends.

It's 45-60 minutes during rush hour... and traffic here SUCKS
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#6]
my wife and I looked at Tampa to find a getaway from South Florida, but found it close to the same as Ft Lauderdale/Miami...we looked a little further into Hernando County, and eventually settled in Citrus, its about 1 hr north of Tampa, close enough for ball games and entertainment, but distant from the hood rats and less desirables...its still a little bit of God's country for the next 10-15 yrs, I agree Tampa is over crowded and built up and building out
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I got back last night, and from what I saw, what you guys told me was spot on.  I did like Ft. Myers, and Naples.  I even stopped and picked up some flyers from homes for sale, and thought the prices were in line with comparable homes here.  (this area is expensive too).  The traffic of Tampa, St. Pete, and Clearwater would kill me.  (I'm a midwesterner, so I'm used to having relatively empty roads)  Most of the plates that I saw were either Ohio, New York or New Jersey.  Which is a bit disturbing.  

The weather was great.

I will be heading through Pensacola, NW Florida this summer so I'll give that some thought as well.  

The place where I land first will depend largely on job offers, and if FL is a go, that will give me some time to narrow down the exact place where I want to be.  But, from a first pass through, I'd probaly aim for the Ft. Myers area.  I ran into the least traffic and the fewest undesireables.  Of course, there will be undesireables everywhere.  

Thanks for all the advice and the use of your state for a few days.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I probably wouldn't want to be too close to downtown.  Are there rural areas east of Tampa worth looking at?  

A plus for me is that I see the housing bubble bursting in the next couple of years.  So hopefully it will be a buyers market when I'm ready to put money down.  I know that's not a good thing for folks who just bought houses.    Unless they plan on staying for a while.  I've already been away from my "comfort zone" for a few years and would like to set up in one location for a long time.  

At this point, I have a lot of options open to me.  I'll be starting the job hunt this fall so I'd like to have a general idea of where to look.  

Thanks,
Wolffie

this year 8k baby boomers per year will be retiring. fuck it i am moving to utah.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top