Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:12:22 PM EDT
at a distance i thought cool a p90, then it got closer...

im not too impressed with this... corney plastic, and bad castings, this thing is a P.O.S. for the money.
ya, you would think cool i'll SBR it, then you look at it up close... the castings(recever) are horible, i think hi-points and larcins are made with more care, not to mention the plastic "clamshell" edges don't meet up well.. sorry to burst peoples bubbles but... i will mention the sights are cool, but for a gun that 'could' have an asking price upwords of $2,000.00 i'd just get two more AR's or five or more AK's, the ammo's cheeper anyway...... just thought i'd through this out for you guys.....sorry aza

also note: the mag is only 30rds NOT 50, fn capped the mags... nice
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
screw the 5.7, i'm gonna stick with me .223/5.56 & 8mm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
No suprise here, I've always thought it would be a turd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No suprise here, I've always thought it would be a turd.

ya, a turd w/ sprinkles!

i didn't even tell you about the trigger, that sucks a$$ too...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not gonna disagree with you guys since I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I got to play with one and didn't think it was horrible. But there is a simple solution to the folks who don't like them...don't buy them.

When the FS-2000 comes out, I plan on buying one, warts and all. My buddy, dtarbox, raised a good point that's been made before. Unlike HK and Colt, FN is actually bringing in stuff that is available to us lowly civilian types. And, yes, I own the usual suspects, i.e. two ARs and two AKs.

BTW, AZATHOTH777, which disciplines?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm not gonna disagree with you guys since I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I got to play with one and didn't think it was horrible. But there is a simple solution to the folks who don't like them...don't buy them.

When the FS-2000 comes out, I plan on buying one, warts and all. My buddy, dtarbox, raised a good point that's been made before. Unlike HK and Colt, FN is actually bringing in stuff that is available to us lowly civilian types. And, yes, I own the usual suspects, i.e. two ARs and two AKs.

what?

were you in my store today? if so you should have said something, i could have given you a deal dude.
if you mean what do i prefer, well hell i use to build FN's (whom the P90's made by) got a couple(currently unasembled), got AK's(built them too) got AR's the only one i didnt like was my HK (it was cool and all) but too much cleaning...

as for not likeing them, im not getting one, too much money. I'd expect more for the money, next time you get to see one, take it apart and really look.  from someone who built guns for a living. if my stuff left the store looking "UNFINISHED"(as this does) i would be very hungry for a long time.. i just think its strange FN is known for its glory of firearms, the hi-power, the FAL, even the new 5.7mm pistol shoot great, and look great, NOT LIKE A BAD(cheep) TOY FROM CHINA.... really look at it!
I really hate to say it but it looks better on film, or at a distance...  aza
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what?

were you in my store today? if so you should have said something, i could have given you a deal dude.
if you mean what do i prefer, well hell i use to build FN's (whom the P90's made by) got a couple(currently unasembled), got AK's(built them too) got AR's the only one i didnt like was my HK (it was cool and all) but too much cleaning...

as for not likeing them, im not getting one, too much money. I'd expect more for the money, next time you get to see one, take it apart and really look.  from someone who built guns for a living. if my stuff left the store looking "UNFINISHED"(as this does) i would be very hungry for a long time.. i just think its strange FN is known for its glory of firearms, the hi-power, the FAL, even the new 5.7mm pistol shoot great, and look great, NOT LIKE A BAD(cheep) TOY FROM CHINA.... really look at it!
I really hate to say it but it looks better on film, or at a distance...  aza

I got what you're saying. Haven't had apart in front of me. Don't plan on getting one. The 5.7MM is just a little too expensive to justify right now. When the price comes down a little, I think I may be looking at one of those 5.7 uppers that Rhineland's been talking about producing. A lot cheaper than even a 5.7 pistol (maybe). No, I think I'll be looking seriously at the FS-2000.

I saw that you're an NRA cert'ed instructor. I was asking which disciplines you're cert'ed for. I just got cert'ed last week for the Personal Protection in the Home course. Got stuff. Waiting to see what the Personal Protection Outside the Home's all about.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have to say the one I got to finger bang quite heavily was a really nice piece fit and finish were good did not look cheap at all

My only complaint is that the gun from every aspect was designed to be used and shot full auto from the grip to the safety to the trigger a lot of thought was put into it.

to me the only waste is firing it semi just doesnt do it justice

just my .02
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I too AZATHOTH777 am not happy with the price.....but honestly what did you expect?! It's the newest and greatest thing in the gun world right now. Yeah It's going to fetch a greater price than an AR. If you had as many people building PS90s as you did ARs the price would be much less.

But for even as high as the price is, you have to admit it's still nice to know you can buy and own one. Which is something you can never say about some manufacturers like HK.

I believe the price will come down, it just has to keep pace with the supply and demand affect.

I just don't want to see the price of the first line of semi SAWs by FN.....Yes there coming! And FN will be talking about it at the SHOT SHOW and maybe have a prototype or functioning unit there.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a PS90 and wasn't too thrilled with the price. It was about $400 over the wholesale price. All it came with was: 30rd mag, PS90, owner's manual, and a gun lock. FN didn't even include a 50rd mag, extra mags, or maybe some extra goodies ala Glock or Springfield. FN doesn't even sell 50rd lock plates separately, so they tell you to buy 50rd mags.

1). The worst aspect of the PS90 has to be the ridiculous excuse for a sight. The reflex is a Ring Sights MC-10-80. You need to shoot it in broad daylight with dark paper targets at the range in order for the daytime reticule to work properly. At night, it has to be PITCH DARK in order for you to clearly see the tritium glow "t" reticule. The Secret Service DID adopt the P90 but they are using a special "USG" sight, which has an aluminum housing and 100% full time black reticule. the standard PS90/P90 sight is cheap plastic (like a Made in China optic) with a white day reticule and tritium orange night reticule. The USG sight is $700 USD. FN is going to sell a 1913 rail that replaces the MC-10-80 sometime in the future and it will run about $150 USD, but had been sold to LE for a few years already at almost half the price.

Some will say, "But FN has used the MC-10-80 for 15 years..." well look at how many agencies have adopted the FN with the MC-10-80... practically none or they don't like it. Even Houston PD that adopted the P90 complained about the MC-10-80 and preferred the P90 TR (Triple Rail).
Not only that but if you rush into a dark room from the bright outdoors and expect to see the tritium "T", good luck.... No one in the know would trust their lives or the lives of their team members with the standard MC-10-80.

2). Mag changes: quite slow and cumbersome. The mag release pad requires 8 lb-force to depress. It's not much but there's not a whole lot of surface area to push, and you need to use your index + thumb to depress the pad, and your middle + ring finger to lift the mag. Then you must grab the mag and pull it out. There is a lot of fine motor control involved, but with training it will be acceptable.

3). Trigger pull isn't bad, it has a short pull length and requires 7.5-8 lb to break. Think of a regular single-stage AR-15 trigger that you get with a LPK.

4). The charging handle is kind of small but easy to use, I like how its on both sides so you can charge the PS90 with the stock shouldered.

5). The 30rd mags are 50rd mags but with a different magazine lock bottom. There are some people working on custom made 50rd lock bottoms that will convert your 30 into a 50rd mag. You can buy P90 mags and they will work on the PS90.

6). For range use, the PS90 is fine out of the box. If you want to use it for a home defense carbine, I would recommend ditching the MC-10-80 asap and put on a rail for your favorite aftermarket optic. Everything else can be corrected through training (mag changes, safety, trigger, overall ergonomics).

7). Ammo prices are fairly high, right now the average price is about 40-50 cents a cartridge. You can try to find them at 35 cents a cartridge though. LE hasn't been impressed by SS190 with its sub-12" penetration depth in 10% gel (heck, even FN posted the photo on their own webpage). RCMP found the same thing. SS195 and SS196/SS197 hasn't been formally tested and it would be interesting to see how they fare.

This is my no-BS assessment. There are a few others here on ARFCOM that will disagree but they do not have frequent access to a PS90 or P90. Take what they say with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Can anyone fill me in on some good web sites to pick up information on the new line of FN's that seem to be coming out to the "civi" market ?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#11]
fivesevenforum.com is a great source.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
good info.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
A solution for the sight would be a polarizing filter or something to "darken" it to make the white reticle appear. I did an experiment by covering the front objective lens and used binocular vision. BAM the reticle was totally clear. However, I haven't been able to find anything tactical to cover the 1/2" objective lens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top