Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:37:27 PM EDT
I recently bought an HK93. I have taken out for the last three days to do function test and it has had numerous FTE's. The gun has been cleaned and lubed. I have shot wolf (I didn't think it would cycle with this ammo) Federal, PMC and green tip military rounds. I changed the extractor pin with a new black HK extractor pin today and it bent the pin, in turn loosening the extractor. The empty casings are staying inside the receiver and are getting slammed against the trunion. I am also having some double feeds. Any Ideas what could be causing this? I have ordered a new extractor and ejector lever. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what an "extractor pin" is. Maybe you mean the extractor "spring". It looks like a cotter pin but is actually a spring. This spring is critical to the extraction and ejection of empty cases. If it has been bent or damaged in any way, it needs to be replaced ASAP. Invest in buying a few extras from RobertRTG (he's got them cheap).

Make sure the ejector lever tip is lining up with the slot in the bottom of the bolt head correctly.

Make sure you are using ammo that will cycle the gun completely (far enough). Never operate it with a damaged extractor spring.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I meant the extractor spring. It was a new one and I shot four different types of ammo in it. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Double feeds are one of the worst and quickest ways to bend an extractor spring. The extra round pushes against the one that it in the bolt head and forces it against the extractor with significant force. You're probably getting that due to a lack of ejection. Make sure the ejector spring (at the rear of the ejector and in the top rear part of the trigger pack) is mounted correctly and keeping the ejector lever up when there's not pressure on the rear. And as stated before, make sure the ejector is alligned correctly. Look at the top rear part of the ejector lever to make sure there are no little nicks in it from the bolt carrier, or any signs of binding.

Allignment on the ejector can be checked by holding the gun upside down, with the magazine removed, and slowly cycling the bolt assy while looking into the magwell and checking to see that the ejector tip always goes easily into the bolt head slot as the assembly moves rearward. Sometimes, after lots of FTEs, binding can cause the ejector tip to get out of allignment. So this test will check for that.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll try that, thanks retrodog!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I just tried that everything seems normal, no binding or show of wear and tear. That makes sense about the extractor spring being bent, because the empty casing were badly damaged from being mashed into the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Could it have anything to do with the locking piece? Mine is a #7 locking piece.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the tension on the extractor by removing bolt assy from rifle,  slip a cartridge into the bolt face so that it slips over the extractor last, the case should push the extractor out of the way before it falls into the flush position.  the extrctr should then hold it there,  roll the case out so the extractor is the last thing holding it. now feel by fingernail how much pressure is keeping the exractor in, it should be quite a bit.  This pressure is very evident as you try to slip the case in as noted above. A bent spring will allow the extrctr to move with little or no pressure.

Let me know if you need a bore cleaning guide for that thang.   [email protected]

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Found what I hope is the problem.....it has a .308 ejector lever in it! I have a .223 lever ordered. I will post how it all turns out after the next test fire. Thanks to all that posted replys!!   das, I will get back with you on the bore cleaning guide, thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:32:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Found what I hope is the problem.....it has a .308 ejector lever in it! I have a .223 lever ordered. I will post how it all turns out after the next test fire. Thanks to all that posted replys!!   das, I will get back with you on the bore cleaning guide, thanks again!

The wrong caliber ejector lever is definitely a big problem. How did that happen?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't know. I just purchased it last week from a local gun store. I took it out the same day, just to see how it shot and thats when I found the problem. I guess the previous owner didn't know? The gun is in excellent condition, I knew there couldn't be a whole lot wrong with it, or so I hoped!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top