Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
when you last went to the range with your favorite hk style rifle,how many rounds did you fire,and how long did it take to clean? do not count nightmares with SA ammo and its tar sealant,just wanna hear other stories. recently i went to the range and blasted about 140 rounds of ammo,and after about 2 hours of cleanin,still not done.i used to be in the army,where there is no such thing as a competely clean weapon,so i am constantly cleanin anyways.i probably break down my weapon 4-5 times in between range visits and clean. i had heard that this weapon system was dirty,but DAMN! a m-60 firing blanks for a week didnt get this dirty,but i still love my it anyways. thanks for the stories and have a good week.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
with an MP5 shooting 300 rounds, an AR 15 shooting 200 rounds, a PPK/s .380 shooting 50 rounds, ( I wasn't at the range, I was just working in the woods and would take a break every so often to shoot some)  It took me about 40 minutes give or take a few, to clean all three guns and I am particular about getting it clean.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
H&K 91A2
120 rds, SA Ammo
Gunscrubber used first
then 20-30mins to clean
with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I always clean my firearms twice.

The first time I get the majority off ,and then I leave
a thick layer of solvent set overnight inside the weapon.

I thoroughly clean it the following day.

If you read up on gun solvents,many work best if you let
them set for a few hours and then clean.

First cleaning:15-30 minutes,depending on the type of ammo
used and how many rounds.

Second cleaning: 30 minutes,unless it's going into long term
storage.

I usually shoot between 140 to 300 rounds per trip to the range,
usually Argentine or South African.Port ,Sant Barbara ,and Salt Lake
I try to save for special occasions.
The rifle I take most times is a PTR-91 .

I find it's difficult to stop at just 100 rounds !      
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot my H&K MP-5 last summer at three matches!  About 200 plus rounds at each match. Also some fun shooting!havehatlet it hang dry.... re-oiled.  
Maybe I will do that again.

Hope this helps!!!hippie.gif

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
if you are cleaning with Hoppes #9 you are working too hard (but smellin good). Learn about Ed's Red. Takes me 10 minutes to do my Clone and I can do 3 rifles before my friend does one.

Do the 'uber' cleaning every-so-often.. not every time you shoot it.

Gotta laugh at people who say the AR is dirty after cleaning the HK....
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
when you last went to the range with your favorite hk style rifle,how many rounds did you fire,and how long did it take to clean? do not count nightmares with SA ammo and its tar sealant,just wanna hear other stories. recently i went to the range and blasted about 140 rounds of ammo,and after about 2 hours of cleanin,still not done.i used to be in the army,where there is no such thing as a competely clean weapon,so i am constantly cleanin anyways.i probably break down my weapon 4-5 times in between range visits and clean. i had heard that this weapon system was dirty,but DAMN! a m-60 firing blanks for a week didnt get this dirty,but i still love my it anyways. thanks for the stories and have a good week.

I shoot at least twice that much per range trip and it takes me a couple hours to clean the gun. I'm very detailed with cleaning and I take the whole gun apart and clean everything from inside the stock to the tip of the barrel including the charging handle tube. I over clean the gun probibly but to more gunk off the gun means less wear durring your next shoot.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
All I have is the Hk91 and SL8/G36 clone.  The Hk91, I have run over 600 rds through it at one time before cleaning it.  No problems, and that is really good for a homemade build.  My SL8/G36 clone, I don't think I have cleaned it since I put it back togeather and I have over 800 rds through it.  The thing just does not get dirty.  The bolt/ and carrier group still look spotless.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top