Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 6:41:42 PM EDT
Today, I received a package at my local funshop. I did an EE deal here for my very first .308 EBR. I've done some research, and have seen my particular model referred to as the "ugly" one of the bunch. It's the aluminum receiver FA-91. It may be ugly to some, but it's a beauty to me. I couldn't afford the true H&K, and this filled the bill just fine by me. I fired a mag today without a hiccup. I am a happy camper!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Be very very careful with that aluminum receiver...They tend to blow up.  And NO I am not kidding!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:23:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Be very very careful with that aluminum receiver...They tend to blow up.  And NO I am not kidding!!!

I appreciate the warning, but do you have a link to any incidences of this occurring with the FA91 receiver specifically? I couldn't find anything on the internet about it. Was this from personal experience? The only thing I could turn up was a problem with some FAL aluminum receiver failures. I've tried to search ARFCOM, but the archive isn't working for me right now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:21:45 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple of years ago some had problems with these primarily in full auto fire.  It had to do with the aluminum seizing the bolt carrier, I think.  I don't recall any kabooms, that would seem to be unlikely since the trunion and barrel are steel like the others. So long as the heaspace and bolt gap are normal (sorry I can't help with these issues) and you keep the carrier well lubed then you should be good to go. You might check Springfield Armory about whether the aluminum receivered guns they sold had any issues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A couple of years ago some had problems with these primarily in full auto fire.  It had to do with the aluminum seizing the bolt carrier, I think.  I don't recall any kabooms, that would seem to be unlikely since the trunion and barrel are steel like the others. So long as the heaspace and bolt gap are normal (sorry I can't help with these issues) and you keep the carrier well lubed then you should be good to go. You might check Springfield Armory about whether the aluminum receivered guns they sold had any issues.

Thanks for your reply! I have gone over this rifle carefully, and with the steel trunion, I cannot see any failure danger, even if there were any electrochemical corrosion between the trunion and the receiver. I fired another 20 rounds through this bad boy and personally am not the least bit convinced that there's anything dangerous about my new rifle.  If there's any documentation on an actual failure ocurring, I would certainly appreciate a link. Thanks
'Cheese
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen pictures of these blown up before, I looked for a while but I couldn't find where.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have seen pictures of these blown up before, I looked for a while but I couldn't find where.

Are you positive it wasn't an aluminum FAL receiver?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the DSA site they used to have some kind of warning on there about Alum rec. Its been a few years ago. Check the FAL Files.com too
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you positive it wasn't an aluminum FAL receiver?

Yeah, I have been looking through my search history but I can't find it. I was looking for .308 surplus and it was as a warning from one of those companies.

The only real thing is to know that it might happen and be careful only to use good ammunition. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I have seen pics of it happening to Glocks and HKs as well, and I still shoot my Glocks and HKs.

I will post it if I ever find it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]
In my opinion, one of the biggest rubs with these rifles is the method used to secure the trunnion to the receiver itself. Two pressed-in pins and epoxy just doesn't instill much confidence in me.  YMMV

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my opinion, one of the biggest rubs with these rifles is the method used to secure the trunnion to the receiver itself. Two pressed-in pins and epoxy just doesn't instill much confidence in me.  YMMV

It actually seems VERY stable to me. Call me foolish, but I don't feel the least bit endangered when firing this rifle. It hits where I aim and until someone can give me a definite documentation of a genuine problem, I'm calling foul! DSA had a warning on their website concerning some FAL aluminum receivers  that had failed. I haven't seen anything other than heresay about the FA-91 aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, rock on with it. I'd probably make sure I wore glasses when shooting it just in case the naysayers are right.Course, you oughtta be doin' that anyway.

I still think one of the dumber things I did years back was pass up one of the aluminum receivered Springfield Armory HK clones, new for like $900 or $985 in an Anchorage shop. The way I look at it now, I could have shot it til it broke (which they all supposedly do) then sent it back to SA for warranty issues and they send an M1A to replace it, which I hear is their practice with those things. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Big_Cheese,
If your at all concerned do a search on the forums on
HKweaponsystems.com and at HKPro .

I've found that some of these guys know their stuff.

I know for a fact that some weapons with these receivers
have had catastrophic failures,but in all cases someone
tried to put a full-auto sear package in them.

As long as you watch your headspace,don't plan on converting
your rifle to full auto ,and be careful which surplus ammo your using
you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Also ,I would research it thoroughly before ever using civilian
.308 PSP ammo in higher grains.
.308 I believe has higher chamber pressures than surplus
7.62 X 51 mm.
As always ,don't use Indian ammo or Pakistani ammo.

These are notoriously bad .
Personnally ,I make it a rule to never buy ammo from
places where people bathe ,deficate,and get their drinking
water from the same place.Especially if they do it in the order I listed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My Dad has two of these rifles, had 'em 5-6 years now, and never a problem.  I personally think they are uglier than all hell, but he likes 'em, and I guess that is what counts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one of the earlier FA91s-I bought it from SOG Intl. in 1998.  I'm pretty sure this was the first domestically manufactured HK clone (the Springfield stamped clones were imported from Greece).  For a HK91 clone mine is very well put together-I don't have to pull hard on the charging handle, and it is very accurate.  Since I live in MN, there aren't any full auto issues for me unless I get a S.O.T., and even then I would stick to 9mm...I don't have any long-term data for you because I don't fire it that often, but I have been very happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I have one and have never had any kind of problem with it. Someone cut the barrel down to the FSB and welded the brake back on.

Looks weird but shoots great
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess I've adopted someone's "bastard child" here huh? LOL! I like it, dammit! Until I see absolute, 100%, proof-positive that the rifle design is dangerous, I'm shootin' the beiach! Hell, some might think me a dare-devil! Just for a Kicker' I'm gonna be using some of that high quality Indian ammo as well! Heh-heh!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just for a Kicker' I'm gonna be using some of that high quality Indian ammo as well! Heh-heh!

w00t!!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I humbly request that if you ever shoot in PA ,
and are using Indian surplus in  ANY
semi-auto ,please warn the person next to you on
the range.

It could be me.

I'll want to move down a few slots,and possibly
dawn my protective gear.

Notice I said ANY semi-auto .

Your rifle and receiver should be fine as long as you don't
convert them ,drop in a full-auto trigger pack ,or use
excessively strong ammo with weak cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top