Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 7:22:22 PM EDT
WOW. I was a bit intimidated having never shot a 30 cal MBR before, but this is a sweet shooting design.
Specifically, it is the PTR 91 F. I bought the package that Atlantic Arms offers that includes the collapsing stock. Out of the box it gives a good impression, fit and finish are good. I felt that getting the collapsible stock now was a good deal as the supply of wide forearms from JLD is currently dry, but they can be found used at good prices (OD on the way, courtesy of Gunbroker).

The cocking handle movement was stiff initially, as was drift pin removal and replacement when swapping stocks. After going through the procedure a few times it is not too bad, after the first range outing the action is definitely smoothing out, I just need to get a few hundred more rounds through it.

Recoils was not unmanageable, in fact it did not seem like a huge step up from my AR, but a step up none the less. Dumping 20 rounds is an exercise in fun, and can be done while easily keeping the impacts below the berm.

I can't wait to get out again with this rifle.  I think that the JLD rifle is a good value, everything I expected, no disappointment, and a lot of fun.

One thing I did notice, and was wondering if anybody could say exactly what was going on. When I short stroke it, or try to follow the charging handle forward, the bolt does not completely close. I dry fired it in this condition and it seems that the bolt moves forward when the hammer falls. What would happen if a round was chambered in this condition? Just to be clear, it only has done this when I have not properly charged the weapon, and no magazine/ammunition was present.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
From my understanding one of two things will happen. One would be nothing, no bang. The other could be a possible out of battery discharge, big bang. Not good. Not sure what the odds are of the out of battery discharge but one out of a thousand would be one too many for me.

BTW, glad to hear you like your new PTR. I also asked the same question in a different way. The G3 action is made for full speed charging. Riding the bolt is not recommended.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:04:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
WOW. I was a bit intimidated having never shot a 30 cal MBR before, but this is a sweet shooting design.
Specifically, it is the PTR 91 F. I bought the package that Atlantic Arms offers that includes the collapsing stock. Out of the box it gives a good impression, fit and finish are good. I felt that getting the collapsible stock now was a good deal as the supply of wide forearms from JLD is currently dry, but they can be found used at good prices (OD on the way, courtesy of Gunbroker).

The cocking handle movement was stiff initially, as was drift pin removal and replacement when swapping stocks. After going through the procedure a few times it is not too bad, after the first range outing the action is definitely smoothing out, I just need to get a few hundred more rounds through it.

Recoils was not unmanageable, in fact it did not seem like a huge step up from my AR, but a step up none the less. Dumping 20 rounds is an exercise in fun, and can be done while easily keeping the impacts below the berm.

I can't wait to get out again with this rifle.  I think that the JLD rifle is a good value, everything I expected, no disappointment, and a lot of fun.

One thing I did notice, and was wondering if anybody could say exactly what was going on. When I short stroke it, or try to follow the charging handle forward, the bolt does not completely close. I dry fired it in this condition and it seems that the bolt moves forward when the hammer falls. What would happen if a round was chambered in this condition? Just to be clear, it only has done this when I have not properly charged the weapon, and no magazine/ammunition was present.

Thats just the nature of roller lock firearms.  Unfortunately they don't have a forward assist so there is no way to quietly load it.  To be sure it locks release the cocking handle from the "full back" position.  Don't worry you won't hurt it.  Its designed that way.  Enjoy your new rifle and post pics if you can!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking at ordering a PTR-91KP from Atlantic
UPDATE 12-21-2005
Talked to JLD yesterday. Most models will not be
ready for delivery until Mid-Late Feburary.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
One of the things HK-91s are not designed to do is to
load quietly and gently.

Don't ease her in.
Pull that cocking handle all the way back and let her go.

It's not made to be gentle.
It's made to be dependable.

If your into adding mods,and this bothers you,
a forward assist and a modified bolt carrier was made
for snipers .

It can be found from time to time for around $200 ,and requires
welding and a knowledgeable smith to mount correctly.

IMHO ,it's a waste of cash and adds unneeded weight.
The grooves on the carrier can bring debris into the weapon as well.

There pretty rare,and I don't know if it's a true HK item or if it's aftermarket.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been thinking about getting one too.

Especially since I order 50 mags for it this week.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it, pull 'er back and let 'er fly.

Just got my 50 pack from Tapco too, this is going to be alot of function testing
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Got it, pull 'er back and let 'er fly.

Just got my 50 pack from Tapco too, this is going to be alot of function testing

Yep, let'er fly! Ammo note: I found that the American Eagle 150 gr. ball was best shooting (accurate) load out of my 18" JLD. Check out the target, shot from 100 yards from the rest with 6x scope, plus my JLD still has the stock 12-16 pound trigger!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#8]
CK,
What type of scope rings are those?

-JZ
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One of the things HK-91s are not designed to do is to
load quietly and gently.

Don't ease her in.
Pull that cocking handle all the way back and let her go.

It's not made to be gentle.
It's made to be dependable.

If your into adding mods,and this bothers you,
a forward assist and a modified bolt carrier was made
for snipers .

It can be found from time to time for around $200 ,and requires
welding and a knowledgeable smith to mount correctly.

IMHO ,it's a waste of cash and adds unneeded weight.
The grooves on the carrier can bring debris into the weapon as well.

There pretty rare,and I don't know if it's a true HK item or if it's aftermarket.

+1

I lock mine back, load the mag in, slam it down and let it fly forward under its own power
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CK,
What type of scope rings are those?

-JZ

They're IOR-VALDADA 30mm Quick Release Lever high rings from DSA.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Mega +1 on "pull 'er back and let 'er fly" !!!

Unlike my Colt AR-15, the PTR-91 and HK's are meant to be mean Mother F%*kers. Don't be shy and slam the bitch down.  Mine too was very tight but after about 200 rounds she is sweet as honey.

Another +1 on the 50 mag deal. Christmas came early! Now if I can only convince myself that 150+ mags was enough!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]
ordered my ptr 91 k today it was the last one in stock at atlantic firearms.com they gave me a price brake because i am a member of ar15.com.  they told me thay had one more gun that was going too sell here to an ar15 member with a price brake.can't wait till it gets here i will post more after i get it.hug.gif
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
What type of collapsable stock did it come with, Pakistani?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What type of collapsable stock did it come with, Pakistani?

I believe so, it does not appear to be HK.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
ATLANTIC-FIREARMS

Thank you for the update!

myit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top