Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 4:13:48 PM EDT
what has anyone heard about these guns?

are they beat to death or just stored on racks?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Go over to HKPRO bulletin boards.  There are several discussions about them over there.  From what has been posted they are better than expected.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]
And some really nasty ones too..
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:33:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of finish wear, but the vast majority are in great shape mechanically, with good bores and little signs of actual use other than being kicked around.   Of all the reports I've seen, only one person is unhappy.

The best part....  You can SBRd refinished MP5 clone for about $3,500

Cost of HK94 ~$2,500
Cost to SBR ~500, and that is replacing barrel with used (good condition) German MP5 3-lug
SBR tax stamp $200
Add paddle mag release ~150
Remark and refinish ~200

In the end, you have a gun that looks exactly like an MP5 (but semi-auto) for the cost of a used, but good condition HK94

For another few hundred, add a FA carrier, and it is sear ready!!!  That is why I am getting one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
CZ - exactly.  I'm getting one to make into an SD. I cant wait to see how all these new crop of 94's get converted to MP5s...it's gonna be great to see what everyone does.

M
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lots of finish wear, but the vast majority are in great shape mechanically, with good bores and little signs of actual use other than being kicked around.   Of all the reports I've seen, only one person is unhappy.

The best part....  You can SBRd refinished MP5 clone for about $3,500

Cost of HK94 ~$2,500
Cost to SBR ~500, and that is replacing barrel with used (good condition) German MP5 3-lug
SBR tax stamp $200
Add paddle mag release ~150
Remark and refinish ~200

In the end, you have a gun that looks exactly like an MP5 (but semi-auto) for the cost of a used, but good condition HK94

For another few hundred, add a FA carrier, and it is sear ready!!!  That is why I am getting one.

$3500!  My experience says something a little more involved

HK94 = $2500
SEF or Amibi Lower = $250-$400 used
MP5 full auto carrier = $250 used
Flapper Mag = $40
Three Lug MP5 barrel = $350 used
              or
HK94 conversion three lug piece = $75
A3 stock = $250 used
Restamp 'HK MP5' and '9 x 19mm" = $100

Labor for flapper mag, barrel conversion, clip and pin lower, refinish = $500

SBR reg = $200

Misc shipping and transfer fees = $100

B&T scope mount + Aimpoint or Eotech = $500

Wait = 6 months to a year+

The way I see it, even at a bargin basement price of $2500 for a used HK94, a semi MP5 is close to $4500+!
Did I miss something?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought one on here from Steve at ADCO. It had very little finish wear, just a small area by the ejection port. The internals and bore looked new. Very pleased with it. It came with a fixed stock and 5 magazines. I put an A3 stock on it and I am thinking about going the SBR route on it as well. May I ask, why you couldnt just cut the 94 barrel once you had your tax stamp, as opposed to replacing it with an MP5 barrel?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, you can simply cut the barrel, but I want a 3-lug tip, and would rather pay for the cost and labor to have a German (or Urbach) barrel put in, rather than thread the barrel at attach an adapter.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

HK94 = $2500
Flapper Mag = $40
              or
A3 stock = $250 used

SBR reg = $200

The way I see it, even at a bargin basement price of $2500 for a used HK94, a semi MP5 is close to $4500+!
Did I miss something?

Yes, you do not need a new SEF or ambi lever lower.. that is optional, not necessary.  besides, I already have a 4 position lower.  No need for a full auto carrier for semi auto SBR.  A3 stock is optional as id the scope mount and aimpoint/eotech.   Also, I think $500 would cover not only labor for replacing barrel, flaopper, etc, but would cover remarking and refinishing.

My estimates are right on, given the prior project I did on a SW5 (did everyting except re-mark it), and it cost:

Romove HK94 barrel and replace with used German 3-lug: $275 for barrel plus $375 for labor, including refinish.  Add Paddle mag release $125.   Total cost was $775, and I was able to drive to the smith's shop, so no shipping/transfer costs.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to get really crazy have the Gordon Miller/Murray Urbach team turn it into a .40 S&W, 10mm Auto, or .357 Sig...  Now those are expensive semi-autos!!!

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked mine up today.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!  This thing is in GREAT shape!  Just a little bit of sling wear on the front, where the sling mounts at the front of the hand guard.   The bore looks pristine, the bolt and carrier look like they have never been shot.

I swapped out the bolt carrier with a FA carrier, attached my FA lower (Fleming sear), and she rocked!

I am very excited.  This thing is in in great shape... I might just hold off on the SBR/refinish project...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HK94 = $2500
Flapper Mag = $40
              or
A3 stock = $250 used

SBR reg = $200

Did I miss something?

Yes, you do not need a new SEF or ambi lever lower.. that is optional, not necessary.  besides, I already have a 4 position lower.  No need for a full auto carrier for semi auto SBR.  A3 stock is optional as id the scope mount and aimpoint/eotech.   Also, I think $500 would cover not only labor for replacing barrel, flaopper, etc, but would cover remarking and refinishing.

My estimates are right on, given the prior project I did on a SW5 (did everyting except re-mark it), and it cost:

Romove HK94 barrel and replace with used German 3-lug: $275 for barrel plus $375 for labor, including refinish.  Add Paddle mag release $125.   Total cost was $775, and I was able to drive to the smith's shop, so no shipping/transfer costs.

I guess where I was going with this was as a sear host MP5.

Lets face it, a HK94 is really not that spectacular in semi auto.  Shoot a Beretta Storm or even you Ruger 10/22 for a fraction of the money.  In full auto, now you have something special!
I feel some people buy HK94's because they what they really want is the receiver ONLY, all the other parts for the most part go in a box and on a 'for sale site'.

I still feel if you want as close to factory MP5 as you can get with your HK94, you are looking at is closer to a $4500 investment.  Maybe the budget route is $3500, but for all practical purposes I fell it is much higher.

Here is a simpler way of looking at it:

HK94 = $2500
MP5 A3 parts kit = $1100(these seem to be going up every month)
SBR Reg = $200
Gun Build and Refinish $600(IGF)
Re-stamp 'MP5' = $100(IGF)
Shipping and transfer fees = $100(HK94 to your FFL + FFL transfer to you + MP5 parts kit to you + Shipping to gun smith + Return shipping back to you)

At any rate good luck with your new HK94!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, I'm sending her off to Jayson at IGF next week (I need to take it to the range this weekend )

Lightly used German MP5 3-lug sourced through Adam Webber including a barrel pin - $350
All labor and parts for Jayson - $900 includes:
Restamping as MP5
Paddle mag parts (corrrect roller tipped/non rattle) and installation
Barrel swap
refinish

Total cost $3,750 for a semi auto MP5 clone that still used the metal 0-1 lower

I already have a full auto carrier and a sear installed in a 2-rd burst pack
Used FA carrier cost me $105 (welded up German HK94)
Burst pack was $700 including the cost to have Tery Dyer install the sear and do the Clip and pin work.  Also came with a .223 and .308 ejector levers and a .223/.308 hammer spring for use in different hosts.

So, total cost is $4,555 plus tax stamp = $4,755.

We were both correct about costs... my earlier post was assuming a semi MP5 clone. Your costs assumed a Full auto host.  Had I opted for a simple SEF lower, the total FA cost would have been below $4,500.

The point was really that I saved about a grand by starting with a Cali HK94 at $2,500 rather than a non-Cali for $3,500.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK, I'm sending her off to Jayson at IGF next week (I need to take it to the range this weekend )

Lightly used German MP5 3-lug sourced through Adam Webber including a barrel pin - $350
All labor and parts for Jayson - $900 includes:
Restamping as MP5
Paddle mag parts (corrrect roller tipped/non rattle) and installation
Barrel swap
refinish

Total cost $3,750 for a semi auto MP5 clone that still used the metal 0-1 lower

I already have a full auto carrier and a sear installed in a 2-rd burst pack
Used FA carrier cost me $105 (welded up German HK94)
Burst pack was $700 including the cost to have Tery Dyer install the sear and do the Clip and pin work.  Also came with a .223 and .308 ejector levers and a .223/.308 hammer spring for use in different hosts.

So, total cost is $4,555 plus tax stamp = $4,755.

We were both correct about costs... my earlier post was assuming a semi MP5 clone. Your costs assumed a Full auto host.  Had I opted for a simple SEF lower, the total FA cost would have been below $4,500.

The point was really that I saved about a grand by starting with a Cali HK94 at $2,500 rather than a non-Cali for $3,500.

What I tried to rationalized for myself, was $2500 even a good price for a HK94 A2?  This may sound like a silly question, but think about it this way.  By the time you are done, you will spend $4500, or close to this amount on a sear ready MP5.  

My question is can you purchase one off one of the boards for $4500.  

I think the answer it yes!  I see quite a few sear ready MP5 N all the time for right around $4500.
Not to mention the build time of 6 months saved!

I feel the HK94's are a great deal if you leave them alone, but if you really want a sear ready MP5, look on the boards, you can buy one for $4500 all the time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought one of these.  I plan to have the barrel cut & threaded for a TROS 3-lug adapter after the SBR paperwork is approved, then slap on my Striker II suppressor.  Total cost around $2700.  Aside from the 3-lug adapter, isn't this close enough for a good shooter MP5 clone?  What important stuff am I missing?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just bought one of these.  I plan to have the barrel cut & threaded for a TROS 3-lug adapter after the SBR paperwork is approved, then slap on my Striker II suppressor.  Total cost around $2700.  Aside from the 3-lug adapter, isn't this close enough for a good shooter MP5 clone?  What important stuff am I missing?

Nope... That's close enough... That's my point!  You could add a SEF lower instead of the metal 0-1 that they come with, and you could have someone remark it as MP5, but all that stuff is cosmetic.

When I bought my sear, I ended up going with a burst pictogram lower.  I really like the ambi grip and the look of the pictograms, and the price diff between a burst pack and a Navy pack was only a couple hundred dollars.

Congrats on the new inexpensive SBR!   BTW, I hear that paperwork is being processed by ATF much quicker out of WV than DC.   My Form 1's go to a guy in WV (Woo Hoo!).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top