Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 2:20:55 PM EDT

I was in my local fun store today and saw a used Springfield SAR-8 and have some questions about it.
It has the following markings on the side:

SAR-8 .308 Cal.
         Springfield Armory
         D.C. Industries INC.
         Bloomington, MN USA
         SR  13XXX

It has a pistol grip and green furniture.

It is used and they want $1025 for it.  Is this a good HK clone or junk?  Is this a decent price?  Should I look at Vector Arms and Ohio Rapid Fire instead.

Thanks,

Paraord16

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a good clone and made in Portugal under a contract from H&K.

I would buy it for that price, about 1/2 of what a good H&K 91 costs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There are two types of SAR-8's.  

The first is a SAR-3 that was later over stamped to an 8.  These are steel receivers that were Greece HK licensed tooled built using new parts and imported.

The second type of SAR-8 was when SA could no longer import the SAR-3's rifles, they started to produce the rifles on aluminum receivers.  These SAR-8's are very less desirable since they are just part kit rifles built in the USA on an USA non-HK tooled receiver.

If the SAR-8 is a steel receiver over-stamped SAR-3, then it's a good buy.

Edited: The Port rifles were imported by Sarco ( I think). Later I/O imported just the completed receivers (FMP) with now the the receivers stampings being imported and completed here in the states (welded).
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
How do you tell if it is an SAR-3 overstamped to an SAR-8?  The markings on the side were very crisp, I doubt they changed the 3 to an 8.

Thanks for the info.

Paraord16
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The imported Springfields came from Greece, not Portugal.  There was a Portrugese/FMP version imported; I think it was called the G3S prior to the '89 EO restricting imports, and later changed to the XG3S after the '89 import ban and a thumbhole stock was added.  If you're looking for an overstamped SAR-3, you'll notice the "8" is stamped slightly deeper than the rest of the letters and numbers on the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There are two types of SAR-8's.  
The second type of SAR-8 was when SA could no longer import the SAR-3's rifles, they started to produce the rifles on aluminum receivers.  These SAR-8's are very less desirable since they are just part kit rifles built in the USA on an USA non-HK tooled receiver.

If the SAR-8 is a steel receiver over-stamped SAR-3, then it's a good buy.

The SAR3s are definitely HK91-clones made in Greece. From what I undertand, there are 2 different SAR8s. One with the standard sheet metal receiver and an aluminum receiver. I know that the older sheet metal version is made in Greece, and takes all HK91/G3 accesories, including buttstock, trigger packs, forearms etc. Personally, I don't know anything about the current production aluminum receivers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How do you tell if it is an SAR-3 overstamped to an SAR-8?  The markings on the side were very crisp, I doubt they changed the 3 to an 8.

Thanks for the info.

Paraord16

Look at the thickness of the metal on the mag well opening.  The steel receivers metal is thin, as the aluminum receivers mag well sides will be thick.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
good

Bad
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
good
www.impactsites2000.com/site3/images2/sar8.jpg

Bad
mwdg3.homestead.com/files/SAR8.jpg

Thanks,

I guess I won't be buying this one because it looks exactly like the "BAD" one.

Paraord16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top