Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 1:27:11 PM EDT
I am considering buying an HK91 (the other candidate is an FAL).  I have an M1A, nice NM with a premium barrel and all, and I wanted something with more utility.  Of course, common sense would say a Springfield Armory Scout or similar, haivng some common parts, and the magazines and over all design in common (helping familiarity).  But some of the more "modern" rifles seem so darn nice.

Anyway, I saw a 91 at a gun show which was a beauty.  Yes, it was a pre ban, German made.  "Made in Germany" on the receiver.  Of course the price was high, but I am giving it consideration if I see it at next weekend's show.  The guy wanted $2,200.  I was thinking of maybe $2,000.  What do you think of a general price?  I remember whenb these were $800. retail, but that was a long time ago,   A lot of other things, especially Germ,an have tripled.  Do youo think the price might go down IF the AWB sunsets?  Or, would it stay up because the price of quality has gone up?

The rifle is in beautiful condition.  Looks almost unfired, and if it was fired, the owner knew how to take care of it and clean it.

My knowledge of the details of these rifles is limited.  I try to do my homework, but I know when I don't know.  This one, if I remember correctly, has a "pivot down" trigger assembly/fire control group, attached by a push out pin.  I undwerstand there are also "latch" type attachments.  ANy pros or cons for one over the other?

Also, age.  The serial number is an 03xxxx (not sure of the number of digits.  But, the beginning of 03 might tell someone with more knowledge than I something.

I'd appreciate any comments.  Any idea how expensive parts are for this rifle?  Since it must be pre-ban, could I put the collapsible stock on it?  (my M1A is pre-ban, but would you put a collapsible stock on one with a Krieger barrel?)  

Any comments as to age and value would be appreciated, as well as mechanical issues.  I would "assume" it to be superior to a newly put together one with an Imbel or other receiver , but I can't knolw for sure.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am considering buying an HK91 (the other BETTERcandidate is an FAL).  I have an M1A, nice NM with a premium barrel and all, and I wanted something with more utility.  Of course, common sense would say a Springfield Armory Scout or similar, haivng some common parts, and the magazines and over all design in common (helping familiarity).  But some of the more "modern" rifles seem so darn nice.

Anyway, I saw a 91 at a gun show which was a beauty.  Yes, it was a pre ban, German made.  "Made in Germany" on the receiver.  Of course the price was highOUTRAGEOUS, but I am giving it consideration if I see it at next weekend's show.  The guy wanted $2,200.  I was thinking of maybe $2,000.  What do you think of a general price?  I remember whenb these were $800. retail, but that was a long time ago,   A lot of other things, especially Germ,an have tripled.  Do youo think the price might go down IF the AWB sunsets? IT BETTER, BUT PROBABLY WON'T.Or, would it stay up because the price of quality has gone up?

The rifle is in beautiful condition.  Looks almost unfired, and if it was fired, the owner knew how to take care of it and clean it.

My knowledge of the details of these rifles is limited.  I try to do my homework, but I know when I don't know.  This one, if I remember correctly, has a "pivot down" trigger assembly/fire control group, attached by a push out pin.  I undwerstand there are also "latch" type attachments.  ANy pros or cons for one over the other?

Also, age.  The serial number is an 03xxxx (not sure of the number of digits.  But, the beginning of 03 might tell someone with more knowledge than I something.

I'd appreciate any comments.  Any idea how expensive parts are for this rifle?  Since it must be pre-ban, could I put the collapsible stock on it? YES(my M1A is pre-ban, but would you put a collapsible stock on one with a Krieger barrel?)NO  

Any comments as to age and value would be appreciated, as well as mechanical issues.  I would "assume" it to be superior to a newly put together one with an Imbel or other receiver , but I can't knolw for sure.

Thanks

If you want the 91 as a collector's item, go ahead and get it.  If you want a baddass .308 battle rifle for functionality and purpose, get a DSA FAL.  You will be getting soooooo much more for your money instead of a lot of hipe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you already have a M1A I'd get the FAL instead.Unless you really have your heart set on the HK here's my math equation....

1 HK91=

2 Nice FAL's
or
1 FAL and 1 M1A
or
1 FAL or M1A and LOTS of acessories!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
You can purchase a very nice hk91 clone for around $800, from Ohio Rapid Fire.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Buying a new looking for full retail ($2k) and then planning on using it for utility purposes could be construed as a little stupid. You are paying a premium for a safe queen and then gonna go use the darn thing. Well if I understand your intent anyway.

The collapsable stock is nice for keeping it in close quarters like behind the seat of the truck or something. The date of manufacture is based on the letters. Check around to see what they are.

I have an HK-91 and a Century FAL. The FAL shoots with less recoil. If you're wanting a utility .308 rifle, I'd look more toward the FAL. If you are collecting (like me) and want an HK-91, then that's just what I'd get.

Either the HK or the FAL will allow you to purchase very inexpensive magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top