Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2003 1:39:19 PM EDT
Just picked up my new SL8-1. Had the g36 forearm and folding bi pod installed. My question. The owners manual recommends cleaning the bolt assembly group only every 1,000 rounds. I plan on running a patch through the barrel before shooting it on sat, is it necessary to take it all apart before, or is it lubed from the factory???I generally clean and lube any new gun before shooting, but this thing looks like it's already been shot at the factory....One more thing..is it OK to shoot it offhand with the bi pod installed?????
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]

I've been hearing that the G36/SL8 series is about as clean as can be, from firing. No fouling, etc.

Having said that, I haven't "borrowed" my father's SL8 and taken it out yet, so I can't speak from experience.

However...it seems prudent in the very least to take it down, and clean it from top to bottom, Just In Case(tm). At the very least, you'll find out how much fouling is already present, and learn how to lube it properly, as well as learn how to take it down from memory for later..

I've picked up exactily one rifle from a dealer that I've fired without cleaning it beforehand myself. I was not happy with the results at the range (jams, etc). A cleaning solved all that. Every thing else, I've cleaned before loading up the mags and heading to the range.

Besides, you never know in what condition they left it in. Best to make sure before you take it out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Take from me, clean the barrel every time you shoot it following their directions and clean the bolt group every 1,000 rounds.  This rifle's bolt does not get cruddy like an AR15's bolt.  I have two SL8s.  One is a G36 conversion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I took her apart last night, except for the piston assembly. it was pretty clean, and it looked as if the bolt assembly had already been lubed. It was much simpler to take apart than the AR 15, IMHO. the bore was cleaned also. well, she's making her debut in about two hours at Grand River..I'll give you a range report!!!

Bill
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I never did get back with you guys..."Heidi" did great at the shoot. she was passed around like a tramp at a frat party, and loved every minute of it. I'd say she digested about 500 rounds of all sorts of ammo, without a hitch. the guys who were shooting the ar's and ak's loved her. A little different. I was amazed at how east it was to go back to the original handguard, one pin!!!I'm not sure about the accuracy because it was so windy. took her home and gave her a hot bath. very simple to take her apart, I used my one piece Dewey rods from Georgia precision from my AR, worked great. didn't seem nearly as dirty as my ar. used a orange citrus spray on her exterior. It acted as a degreaser, and made her smell nice....
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You will find that this series of H&K weapons is one of the best designed.
I have an issued G36k and the bolt and carrier never get dirty.
I clean the barrel after every range session and clean and lube the bolt.
The gas piston is simplicity and cleans easily, and is not prone to fouling.
The G36 has the 1/7 twist I do not know what the Sl8 has , but all bullet weights shoot well form this modern marvel.
I have the g36c stock and sight rail on mine with an aimpoint this beats the Sl8 star wars sight rail or any of the H&K optics.
The Ars do have the H&K guns in one area and that is owner servicablility.The Ar series is the easiest to assemble including barrel changes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top