Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2023 12:32:04 PM EDT
New DSA G-Series Clone FAL Rifle

Due in ~4 months or so.  Watch the excellent video from our hero @Obey for all the details but I’ll summarize:

- Forged upper
- Chrome-lined barrel
- $2300 MSRP?
- Intend to clone every serial of the original guns (so should be a multi-year run)
- Very detailed down to correct furniture and flash hider

I’m pretty interested and could see me adding one of these.  I think they did a great job on the Israeli LBs and the FALOs and this is just a classic part of FAL history.  We just need more steel mags though!

The real question on everyone’s minds: will it come with an orange bucket?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy that...
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Lack of affordable magazines is stopping me from getting into FAL's, which is a shame because they seem cool.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]
The price of kit guns has gone nuts - guess DSA sees a market for FALs again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They better be upping their QC on their G-type uppers. As long as ARS can nurse the DSA G upper on my G-1 kit to life, I’ll be happy. If not, I’ll be very doubtful of anything from DSA from then on, as it’s my second. The first he finally gave up on as the bolt refused to lock up whatever he did.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they have reliable new production mags?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
From what the DSA. Advised me that they are working on their metal mags
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Man, almost $1,000 more than the Israeli soldiers grade I bought a few years ago (EXCELLENT). Can't do it. I still have a mint unassembled Argentine kit from the Sarco days with a Serial matching Coonan receiver.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:57:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DSArms_FAL:
3rd gen DSA mags will be shipping this year
View Quote

What capacities will be offered besides 20s?  25s or 30s?  10s that aren't cut-downs?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm really hoping DS Arms does a metal 10 round FAL mag.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8R-HrroxU

Due in ~4 months or so.  Watch the excellent video from our hero @Obey for all the details but I’ll summarize:

- Forged upper
- Chrome-lined barrel
- $2300 MSRP?
- Intend to clone every serial of the original guns (so should be a multi-year run)
- Very detailed down to correct furniture and flash hider
View Quote

ayyyyy
I handled in person, can confirm that they look great. Side note, I have one of the Rhodie clones at the FFL right now. I don't shoot much .308 anymore but I still have a soft spot for the FAL.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
@DSArms_FAL

Any Australian SLR receivers being made/available?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:28:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DSArms_FAL] [#15]
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for answering the question.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#17]

10 round will always be cut downs and actually we are hoping to start shipping 10 round mags late next month
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigstick61:

What capacities will be offered besides 20s?  25s or 30s?  10s that aren't cut-downs?

10 round will always be cut downs and actually we are hoping to start shipping 10 round mags late next month

Please make affordableish SCAR heavy mags.... Please
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dalyman72:

Please make affordableish SCAR heavy mags.... Please
View Quote

Amend 2 had them at SHOT.  Well, printed prototypes anyway.  I think they said they were working with KDG on them.

NO eta
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m happy with the Hebrew warhammer im picking up on a few days. I just can’t fathom $2300 for a new production FAL. Give me that history bro.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

That's too bad. None of the cut-downs I've used function properly, only my factory Belgian 10s which were made as such from the factory.

Are you guys going to do aluminum mags at all or just steel?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I would think FAL sales would increase if reliable and affordable metals mags were readily available. I know I would love to have another FAL but I'm not going to buy one if I can't get good mags for it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Are FAL mags hard to find?  I remember when they were like 5 for $20.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:
View Quote

LOL.  That ship sailed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

They are now; expect to spend $40+ a pop for decent surplus ones now.

I had a few from the salad days and I’ve picked up a bunch on the EE over the years before the prices got crazy.  Then PSA’s Israeli blowout from a few years ago netted more.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#25]
It looks pretty cool. I still need to finish my Israeli LB kit. The DSA barrel had a slightly undersized journal which made me lost interest because of what I will need to do to make it work. The receiver is really nice with the Israeli markings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:00:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I think they look pretty good, I’m looking forward to seeing them in real life.

I really like the look of the Rhodie clones they are building but I sure wish they would have went with the forged receivers with the correct marking.  Also, I could do without the damn sanitization hole. I hope they are going to run some diffent options in the future.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 2:39:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By baker3254:
I would think FAL sales would increase if reliable and affordable metals mags were readily available. I know I would love to have another FAL but I'm not going to buy one if I can't get good mags for it.
View Quote

It's only very recently that prices jumped majorly.  Just a few years ago I was able to get hiduminium mags for under $20 each shipped and steel mags for $8-15 each, shipped, if I shopped around marketplaces and such.  Even from vendors, though, prices were not outrageous unless it was something rare, collectible, NIW, etc.  I was aghast at paying $50 per mag plus shipping for two Belgian 10-rounders imported from Belgium.  I had never paid $20 or more for a FAL mag up to that point.  Seems like right around the COVID panic time is when prices really started to climb (at least that's my perception).

While the days of dirt-cheap nice FAL mags had been gone for a good while, mag prices were still pretty affordable.  Again, mags being very expensive and hard to find is a pretty recent phenomenon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Indeed they are. I’m glad I stocked up back in the good ole days. I bought enough NOS mags from TAPCO and excellent Austrian mags from DSA for 3 lifetimes. You can still find nice mags but they hard to come by and expensive.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#29]

I had a few from the salad days and I’ve picked up a bunch on the EE over the years before the prices got crazy.  Then PSA’s Israeli blowout from a few years ago netted more.
View Quote

Even if you don't mind the coin, finding ones that are (in this market) worth that can be problematic.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I would buy one , looks real good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Pallas:

Even if you don't mind the coin, finding ones that are (in this market) worth that can be problematic.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pallas:

I was at a gun show two weekends ago and there's a guy that had boxes of magazines on his table. I started sifting through the boxes and I came across a couple of FAL magazines. I asked him if he had any more so we started digging through multiple boxes and I ended up coming away with seven magazines $25 a piece. I sold three of them to a buddy that has a AR that takes FAL magazines I don't know what brand it is - but I sold those to him for what I had in them 25 bucks a piece. So I made $75 of my money back and I still have four magazines. That brings my total up to about 50 so I'm pretty happy
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, I remember the good old days around 2000 when Tapco was one of the go-to places for FAL items.  I bought enough StG-58 mags from them to last me a lifetime and I still have two unopened Belgian 10 pack of magazines I bought from them.  I bought one of their hand picked German G1 kits, but I can kick myself in the @ss since I passed on their StG-58 kit since I “thought” I was good with just the G1 and L1A1 clones.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I just watched the video in the OP.  G-series did not have wooden handguards or pistol grips, as nice as those look.  They had the later more rakish plastic pistol grip and non-bipod fiberglass handguards (which were not black, although I forget what color or colors they were), with an option for the sheet metal ones for those who wanted a bipod as an accessory.  Lightweight models would have the serial on the grip instead of the trigger housing (and on those in addition to the trigger housing including the pistol grip stud, the top cover, return spring tube and plug, rear sling swivel base, trigger guard, pistol grip nut, and the magazine body, floorplate, and follower were aluminum alloy (8lbs. 7.75 oz. with empty magazine).
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quote from the video “going to replicate the original 700 serial numbers.”
Would be kind of cool if you owned an original gun to have the DSA remake with the same serial number.

I built a FAL from a kit using a DSA receiver back in the early 2000’s and bought real similar new  wood furniture off of the FAL Files and the gun was really nice to shoot.
One of the guns I regretted selling when my wife was sick.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Quote from the video “going to replicate the original 700 serial numbers.”
Would be kind of cool if you owned an original gun to have the DSA remake with the same serial number.

View Quote

Why?

Own multiple G series.  Can't possibly see the appeal of buying a copy just to have numbers match on the serial #

I have had a lot of weird justifications for buying a gun, but even for me that one is a stretch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Has anyone heard anything more on these guns? I know the Rhodesian ones were for sale for a while but i can't find anything on the G series release.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:39:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Nope, other than that a lightweight G series kit went up for auction the other day and DSA out bid everyone and won it.  

On the magazine front I managed to get some 20s for $25 each and a 30 for $69 from FAL Filers who weren't the typical gougers and opportunists you see a lot these days selling FAL stuff, but rather, were genuine enthusiasts.  

At this point I'm pretty good on my supply of steel 20s.  Only ones specific to builds I might want to do in the future that are clone builds (assuming doing that every becomes even remotely feasible again) or ones that are at prices too good to pass up are interesting to me, now.  At this point hiduminum mags of any capacity (I feel like I saw that 20s were not the only type made by FN), 30s (the straight kind for Belgian pattern rifles), and maybe a couple more factory 10s or those Dutch 15s are mainly what interest me now, but prices for all are even more outrageous.  I could live with four more 30s, 3 more 10s, and a few more hiduminum 20s and that's it absent acquiring a few or more FALs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 3:45:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#38]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

LOL.  That ship sailed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trails-end:

LOL.  That ship sailed.

I think I got some 10 for $20 at Knob Creek. Did have to ruck them out to the car though
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I've talked to friends in the arms business in Brazil and Argentina and they know the warehouses still have millions of FAL mags.

I question why they can't come in.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
I've talked to friends in the arms business in Brazil and Argentina and they know the warehouses still have millions of FAL mags.

I question why they can't come in.

View Quote

IMBEL still makes them.

Hasn't been too long since the last time FMAP made them for sure; not sure if they still make them.  Both countries have militaries that still actively use the things.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been to both Imbel and DGFM neither are making FAL parts or mags currently but Imbel could if they wanted to. DGFM however is a very sad state of affairs but Argentina has such a huge stock of rifles used and new plus spare mags and millions of magazines that they will not have to worry about DGFMs FAL production capability.
View Quote

Where are they getting the parts and mags for the 7.62mm IA2s?  Those are basically FALs with an AR-18 gas system and a polymer trigger housing with integral trigger guard and some small upgrades.  Most of the parts are interchangeable with the FAL or are straight-up FAL parts, including the receivers.  The 5.56mm ones also have some parts in common, but those have bigger differences, also having an AR-18 style rotating bolt, aluminium receivers, no need for locking shoulders, etc. plus they use AR-15 mags, obviously.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Speaking of which, would DSA ever consider importing some of that stuff in whatever manner is possible, such as importing them at least the 5.56mm ones as pistols to be completed into 922r compliant rifles and carbines by DSA?  Maybe bring in some of the modernized FAL parts IMBEL has been using on the IA2 (stocks, trigger housings, scope mount top covers, handguards, sights, bayonet lugs for knife bayonets and setups to allow for them to be mounted on short-barreled guns, etc.).
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 4:24:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#46]

From what I was told only the 5.56 is in actual production and they are using new old stock parts and limited production parts for the samples of the 7.62
View All Quotes

Where are they getting the parts and mags for the 7.62mm IA2s?  Those are basically FALs with an AR-18 gas system and a polymer trigger housing with integral trigger guard and some small upgrades.  Most of the parts are interchangeable with the FAL or are straight-up FAL parts, including the receivers.  The 5.56mm ones also have some parts in common, but those have bigger differences, also having an AR-18 style rotating bolt, aluminium receivers, no need for locking shoulders, etc. plus they use AR-15 mags, obviously.

From what I was told only the 5.56 is in actual production and they are using new old stock parts and limited production parts for the samples of the 7.62

The receivers on the 7.62mm ones are interesting because they are unlike anything IMBEL made when it was still producing standard FALs.  They have these shallow Type 2 style cuts with a small radius.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 12:57:14 AM EDT
[#47]

We have tried to import standard mags and parts several times Imbel didn’t have any interest. I don’t think we would even want to import some of the modern parts they were roughly machined and the fit was bad.
View All Quotes
Speaking of which, would DSA ever consider importing some of that stuff in whatever manner is possible, such as importing them at least the 5.56mm ones as pistols to be completed into 922r compliant rifles and carbines by DSA?  Maybe bring in some of the modernized FAL parts IMBEL has been using on the IA2 (stocks, trigger housings, scope mount top covers, handguards, sights, bayonet lugs for knife bayonets and setups to allow for them to be mounted on short-barreled guns, etc.).

We have tried to import standard mags and parts several times Imbel didn’t have any interest. I don’t think we would even want to import some of the modern parts they were roughly machined and the fit was bad.

Some of the all-metal adjustable folding stocks using the standard FAL hinge were interesting to me, as is their style of extended selector and some of their components for attaching knife bayonets.

Speaking of folding stocks, are yours coming standard now with the lever for the hinge like on OEM stocks?  I much prefer stocks with the lever.  Also, do your lowers, steel or aluminium, come in different types (1,2,3,etc.) or just one?  Do you guys still make aluminium top covers for fixed-butt FALs, or aluminium charging handle slides?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By baker3254:
View Quote

if you already HAVE a FAL, why don't you already HAVE magazines for it...

You know they would work in both of them?
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I just watched the video in the OP.  G-series did not have wooden handguards or pistol grips, as nice as those look.  They had the later more rakish plastic pistol grip and non-bipod fiberglass handguards (which were not black, although I forget what color or colors they were), with an option for the sheet metal ones for those who wanted a bipod as an accessory.  Lightweight models would have the serial on the grip instead of the trigger housing (and on those in addition to the trigger housing including the pistol grip stud, the top cover, return spring tube and plug, rear sling swivel base, trigger guard, pistol grip nut, and the magazine body, floorplate, and follower were aluminum alloy (8lbs. 7.75 oz. with empty magazine).
View Quote

Not "quite" true

They didn't have wooden pistol grips

But some of them came with wooden handguards

(still have two brand new G series from when we got them for our gunshop inventory decades ago when they were brand new, one of which did indeed come with the wooden handguard)
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By tooldforthis:

if you already HAVE a FAL, why don't you already HAVE magazines for it...

You know they would work in both of them?
View Quote

I prefer to have at least 10 magazines per rifle. I have 1 FAL and 12 magazines so if I would buy another FAL I would have to buy more magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top