Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 3:09:38 PM EDT
This is my first inch build. The barrel stops about 11 o'clock and I measured the gap to be around .062. Does this mean I need a washer at that thickness to finish torquing the barrel down?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need to contact Arizona Response Sysems for a breeching washer.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so you are bottoming out on the inner face.  L1A1 barrels use a breeching washer, unlike the "metric" barrels.  I say that because even the metric barrels are 1x16.  

Barrel threads are 1"x16 tpi, so you are actually where you want to be if not a little over for final torquing.  Usually you want to be about 10:30.  You measured you gap at .062.  The threads are 16 per inch, so one thread = .0625. You are one turn out. So a breeching washer of .062-.065 is needed.   Since the nominal breeching washers (1-8) (.565-.600) are still too small, you will need to either make up the rest with shims or have a specialty size made.  One of the many problems with aftermarket receivers and/or barrels.  I guess Aussie pattern receivers are known for this.

You also have the problem of hitting the inner face before you are timed, so you will have to take a couple of strokes with a file on the barrel face until it times closer to TDC.  You do not want to back it out another turn as you will never find a locking shoulder that will work and you will have an unsupported case.  You may be able to time it as is, but I would rather know for sure I am timing it on the barrel shoulder and not the inner face.

Gunplumber usually has this stuff for sale:  Gunplumber

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats what i was looking at. I was going to get a .062 and a .002 and .003 to get it to time around 11, I just wanted to make sure I am doing that right since I've never done an inch build. Haven't had any feedback on the files so I tried here!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The Inch barrels are usually designed for a timing washer.

The British washers are thick.

Some Canadian and possibly Australia barrels use a washer, but the range is often much thinner the British range.

Also depending on the receiver, make sure the rear of the barrel doesn't bottom out on the feed ramp in the receiver and is torqued against the front of the receiver.

Metric barrels typically don't use a washer, but some newer DS Arms receivers lack the front shoulder and this places the locking piece closer to the barrel.

Then there are the Indian barrels that sort of look like Inch barrels and have their own rules.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I friend used hardened washers for some sort of industrial equipment.

I just can't remember what they were.

The right diameter and hardened, bought from Grainger.

I found them, they are plain steel arbor shims.

The 1.0 inch diameter ones are 1.5 inches outside diameter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Inch bbls always need a washer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top