Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2018 7:33:09 PM EDT
I recently picked up a really nice matching Imbel kit and Imbel gear logo receiver, really wanted a cool old school Fal for the collection. I'm looking for a good Fal-smith who can assemble it properly, this will be my only parts kit build so don't want to invest in the tools and learning curve, would rather let a pro do it properly.

Any recommendations? I looked at Arizona Response Systems but a basic build + shipping is going to be damn near $500
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm looking for one here in So. Nevada. Any recommendations?

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't let anyone but Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems touch your FAL !!

He built an L1A1 for me that was a thing of beauty and ran perfect.

Used another guy here in TX on a different FAL and had some troubles.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243362/FAL_001-732157.jpg
View Quote
What happened there?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently picked up a really nice matching Imbel kit and Imbel gear logo receiver, really wanted a cool old school Fal for the collection. I'm looking for a good Fal-smith who can assemble it properly, this will be my only parts kit build so don't want to invest in the tools and learning curve, would rather let a pro do it properly.

Any recommendations? I looked at Arizona Response Systems but a basic build + shipping is going to be damn near $500
View Quote
Terry Bridwell in Oregon.  tbd59 on the FAL Files.  Less expensive than Mark, but almost as good (just as good for builds without serious issues).  He repaired a barrel that most other guys experienced on the FAL thought was toast, and he did it and rebuilt the rifle for less than the cost of a replacement barrel.  Mark Graham and I think one other guy were the only others who thought it was repairable.

Randy Kline in Texas is another good one (goes by sledgehammer online).

I know that there are others, but I forget their names right now.  All hang out on the FAL Files.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What happened there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/243362/FAL_001-732157.jpg
What happened there?
Case rupture?  They are not kind to magazines and can blow them up like that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you located?

I just hugged Bridwell a few days ago.  Great guy, very competent, excellent chef.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don’t go with him unless you want to be treated like a moron.  Seriously.  He’s an asshole to his customers and everyone else he comes into contact with.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where are you located?

I just hugged Bridwell a few days ago.  Great guy, very competent, excellent chef.
View Quote
I'm located in the NorthEast. I messaged Terry and he said it would be at least ~4 months before he could get started since he's in the process of moving to a new house, while a bit longer than i was hoping for it will probably be worth it if his work is as good as everyone says
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#9]
IM sent to OP.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I looked at Arizona Response Systems but a basic build + shipping is going to be damn near $500
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I looked at Arizona Response Systems but a basic build + shipping is going to be damn near $500
Quality work costs money. Mark is one of the best when it comes to the FAL, and the best costs.

Quoted:
Don’t go with him unless you want to be treated like a moron.  Seriously.  He’s an asshole to his customers and everyone else he comes into contact with.
I've dealt with him a few occasions and he's never treated me like a moron. YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I found Mark easy to deal with but he is rather direct.

Like I said no one else will ever touch one of my FALs but Mark Graham.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ray Vaughn of Moss Pawn & Gun (IV8888 store) in Forest Park, GA does great work.
View Quote
Don't be a moron with him and he'll be the straightest-shooting vendor you could ever deal with. I enjoy his direct and efficient manner and have dealt with him a handful of times.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
If it's $500 or a 4-month wait to assemble an FAL, I think I would buy the tools from ratas calientes on FAL Files and get going.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently used Glen Riddle of Magnum Gunsmithing(Lima, OH) for an L1A1 built. It started as a century assembled L1A1 sporter on an Argentine receiver. Glen swapped on an unmolested bbl, fixed some century issues, and did a great cerakote over phosphate finish. Turnaround was about a month and pricing was very reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it's $500 or a 4-month wait to assemble an FAL, I think I would buy the tools from ratas calientes on FAL Files and get going.
View Quote
Providing the receiver is in-spec (a risky proposition these days), that's the way to go, given how easy is it to assemble and FAL.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:15:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone ever used the DS Arms Gunsmithing service just to screw in the barrel and headspace? They charge $165 (even adding in a couple of hundred for labour and tax on the mechanically stupid) that's not too bad. Six week turnaround right now.

As much as I'm in Mark Graham camp, but since I'm forced to get a DS Arms receiver, it's seems an option these days?

Unless anyone knows of a home builder in the DFW area that will work for beer or Singe Malt?

It's a Imbel Parts kit that I'm leaning towards leaving in a "battlefield pickup" vibe.

If it was a "got to have a brand spanking new car smelling type of FAL" it would Mark, no doubt!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever used the DS Arms Gunsmithing service just to screw in the barrel and headspace? They charge $165 (even adding in a couple of hundred for labour and tax on the mechanically stupid) that's not to bad. Six week turnaround right now.

As much as I'm in Mark Graham camp, but since I'm forced to get a DS Arms receiver, it's seems an option these days?

Unless anyone knows of a home builder in the DFW area that will work for beer or Singe Malt?

It's a Imbel Parts kit that I'm leaning towards leaving in a "battlefield pickup" vibe.

If it was a "got to have a brand spanking new car smelling type of FAL" it would Mark, no doubt!
View Quote
Go to falfiles and ask...plenty of helpful falaholics in TX!
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever used the DS Arms Gunsmithing service just to screw in the barrel and headspace? They charge $165 (even adding in a couple of hundred for labour and tax on the mechanically stupid) that's not too bad. Six week turnaround right now.
View Quote
In a roundabout way, yes. I had two R1 receivers where the locking shoulder dogleg cut on the receiver was too short. Sent them into DSA with the barrels and they headspaced them without issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could not agree more, I asked if he had military discount and was not impressed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I used CMP armory in NC...no complaints..
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe I used Randy Kline.  Did what I needed in half the time I expected and for less than anticipated.  Very happy!

He did a cut/thread job to put on a FS on Dad's L1A1.

Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't be a moron with him and he'll be the straightest-shooting vendor you could ever deal with. I enjoy his direct and efficient manner and have dealt with him a handful of times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ray Vaughn of Moss Pawn & Gun (IV8888 store) in Forest Park, GA does great work.
Yup, I've never had a problem with him.  My buddy dropped off and picked up his FAL in-person and thought he was pretty cool to talk to.  If you don't act or talk stupid or like an ass, he's typically cool with you, even if he can be a bit curt or direct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top