Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 10:23:22 PM EDT
I traded a FAL two years ago and regretted it the moment I did it. Recently I have been doing some trading and was able to get an AK47. I really don't care for the AK rifle. So I looked for an FAL after two weeks looking I got offered one. This rifle looks brand still has cosoline type grease and no scratches anywhere on it. the rifle is a Century R1A1 Sporter. The magazine that came with it is metric but the cut in the mag well looks like an inch cut. The cut is just a rectangle cut area. The magazine fits ok thought and locks in. The bolt has sand cuts also. Will get better picture tomorrow.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking FAL , looks like a British bolt group possibly?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You've got a Unibrow Century US made receiver, with Century US made stock furniture. The gas piston look like it was ground on. I'd check headspace before shooting. I had one of these 10 years ago and it took a bit of parts replacement to make it run, Century just slapped in a locking shoulder without actually checking headspace.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The bolt and carrier are Australian Lithgow as well as the lower. I am waiting on response to find out about the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bolt and carrier are Australian Lithgow as well as the lower. I am waiting on response to find out about the receiver.
View Quote
The receiver is a Century unibrow. I forget who made them. They are not the most sought after receivers but typically can be made to work fine. I have a unibrow and it works perfectly.
Sometimes the bottom of the chamber and possibly the area under the chamber will need sanded and polished to make rounds feed smoothly with the Century receivers. The unibrow tends to feed rounds lower than a double feed ramp and on some guns it has caused the tips of bullets to catch against the bottom of the chamber rather than sliding into the chamber. Century did not always function test the guns so it is left up to the owner to shape the bottom of the chamber so rounds will cycle without catching.
I am not saying your FAL will have this problem but some do and it is fairly easy to fix if need be.
I actually like the unibrow receiver because it is easy to keep the feed ramp clean and polished, there is also less chance the bullets will be damaged / scraped by the feed ramp. A perfect bullet without scuffs will be more accurate.
Assuming the gun cycles properly the unibrow can actually be a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Found barrel stamps with better camera. I found cross flags with a crown over them and either W G or V G on the other side.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Caspian arms built this reciever. They are considered good to go. Now I need to get some wood to replace this cheap plastic. I would also like to replace the brake on the end. I can not find any place where it was pinned or welded. Guess I should get screw driver and see if it moves. I'm not sure that's the right decision though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Caspian arms built this reciever. They are considered good to go. Now I need to get some wood to replace this cheap plastic. I would also like to replace the brake on the end. I can not find any place where it was pinned or welded. Guess I should get screw driver and see if it moves. I'm not sure that's the right decision though.
View Quote
I doubt it would be pinned.
The solder jobs from the ban years usually just breaks loose with a little force. FAL barrels are left hand thread like an AK.

The brake you have actually does a great job at lowering recoil. I have a few different breaks for my FAL's but still use the one you have because it works better than anything else.  I machined some rings around the body and diamond teeth to the end of mine to make it look different and prettier. I think the diamond design on the end spreads the flash a bit so after I was done I realized it was not only for looks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top