Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:51 AM EDT
Has anyone done this before? Any pics? Thoughts/comments? Just an idea that I have running through my head, run a railed upper with a red dot, folding stock and a 14.5" bbl w/perm attached AAC blackout.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:59:45 AM EDT
[#1]
These are not ARs. Ive shot FALs since the early 70s and in my opinion 14.5 is too short. 18 is about the minimum I would go and probably 99 percent of the countries that used this rifle in military service stuck with the 21 inch barrel, even in the para version. Having a shorter barrel just makes it a toy. You wont burn the powder of a 7.62 in that length and the blast will be horrible. If you have to have something that short, go with a 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I already have an AR setup this way and thought that it'd be fun to have a nice compact noise maker that'll still be good for 300 - 400 yd minute of man shots and that I could run some 3 gun matches with as well.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I already have an AR setup this way and thought that it'd be fun to have a nice compact noise maker that'll still be good for 300 - 400 yd minute of man shots and that I could run some 3 gun matches with as well.

You probably should shoot a short barrelled one first then. Personally, I think the 18 inch barrel one, such as a 50.63 is pretty handy for a 7.62 weapon. Ive used my 50.61 21 inch para in a few matches. Its pretty handy, accurate, etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Not exactly what you described... but here is one of mine.

I didn't have the work done, I got it in a trade this way.  It is a 13"-14" ish barrel with a perm attached break bringing it to 16"+

It's... special  Shooting it is a bit of an adventure.  

Loud.

And here it is hanging out with some other .308's

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not exactly what you described... but here is one of mine.

I didn't have the work done, I got it in a trade this way.  It is a 13"-14" ish barrel with a perm attached break bringing it to 16"+

It's... special  Shooting it is a bit of an adventure.  

Loud.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7948/dsc03000aj9.jpg

And here it is hanging out with some other .308's

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=15633

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Is it picky on ammo? What kind of adventures lol?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of it? Is it picky on ammo? What kind of adventures lol?

––Well, for accuracy:

Not counting the L1A1, my FALs are only 18", 16", and 14" barrels and all just Iron sights. (The Eotech was on the DSA as a trial run.)  So I'm clearly not shooting for crazy accuracy... all three guns give me about the same results.  The only time I shoot for groups is when I sight a gun in.  After that it is just "Minute of Tin Can."

But to answer your question, no worse than 5 MOA with old (1960s) Aussie surplus and irons.  I am a realistic person.  I'm not going to say I've EVER gotten 1 MOA out of an FAL even on the best of days.  But 5 MOA will give you a man's chest out to 300 yards and their head out to 150.

––Can't talk to much about ammo variety.  I bought a crapton of Aussie surplus, so that's all any of my FALs have ever seen.  Once I got the gas system dialed in for it, I NEVER had a FTF/ FTE or other malfunction, ammo induced or otherwise.

––And as far as being an adventure.  The gun is loud.  You know the concussion you feel when you are standing next to someone shooting .30-06 with a muzzle brake?  It's like that, but you are BEHIND the gun.  The muzzle flash is a good time too.

In conclusion.  It is not subtle; it is a good time though.  It's as accurate as I'm going to be off-hand, and it is maneuverable.  Even if the bullet isn't at top speed due to the short barrel... a .308 round at 90% with minute of man will still ruin your day.

So if your fear is being attacked by zombies in an old Ford Taurus... and subtlety isn't your forte... I'd recommend it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

––Well, for accuracy:

Not counting the L1A1, my FALs are only 18", 16", and 14" barrels and all just Iron sights. (The Eotech was on the DSA as a trial run.)  So I'm clearly not shooting for crazy accuracy... all three guns give me about the same results.  The only time I shoot for groups is when I sight a gun in.  After that it is just "Minute of Tin Can."

But to answer your question, no worse than 5 MOA with old (1960s) Aussie surplus and irons.  I am a realistic person.  I'm not going to say I've EVER gotten 1 MOA out of an FAL even on the best of days.  But 5 MOA will give you a man's chest out to 300 yards and their head out to 150.

––Can't talk to much about ammo variety.  I bought a crapton of Aussie surplus, so that's all any of my FALs have ever seen.  Once I got the gas system dialed in for it, I NEVER had a FTF/ FTE or other malfunction, ammo induced or otherwise.

––And as far as being an adventure.  The gun is loud.  You know the concussion you feel when you are standing next to someone shooting .30-06 with a muzzle brake?  It's like that, but you are BEHIND the gun.  The muzzle flash is a good time too.

In conclusion.  It is not subtle; it is a good time though.  It's as accurate as I'm going to be off-hand, and it is maneuverable.  Even if the bullet isn't at top speed due to the short barrel... a .308 round at 90% with minute of man will still ruin your day.

So if your fear is being attacked by zombies in an old Ford Taurus... and subtlety isn't your forte... I'd recommend it!

These are the answers that I'm looking for

LET THE BUILD BEGIN!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top