Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 12:41:55 PM EDT
Turns out my FAL is an SA58, not an STG58 as I first though.

Anyways, I was at the range today testing Prvi Partizan .308 145gr Whitebox FMJ, Portuguese FNM .308 Surplus FMJ, Wolf 150gr FMJ and Winchester SuperX 180gr .308 PowerPoint SP.

PP .308 145gr WhiteBox - Gas setting 5 - Perfect
FNM / Port. 145gr Surplus - Gas setting 3 - Had 4 FTEject/FTFeed
Winch. Superx 180gr - Gas setting 6 - Had 1 FTFeed
Wolf 150gr BlackBox - Gas setting 3 - Perfect

Anyone else have any insight on these results?
I think I'm going to stay away from FNM Portuguese Surplus ammo from now on, as at 25 and 50yards, even WOLF was more accurate.

Interestingly Wolf was the best shooting and reliable ammo at 25 and 50yards today. I was shooting with a Millet DMS-1, 4x Scope with arms rested on a table.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
DSA rifles can be tight when new, if it hasn't had many rounds through it you can expect a few failures til it smooths out.

Were all the FTE and FTF with the same mag? Could be a mag issue not an ammo or gas setting issue. If it is a gas setting issue here's a pdf on that.
http://www.dsarms.com/Gas%20Setting.pdf
Link Posted: 11/17/2008 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'll get that pdf printed and start reading soon on it.

I was using 2 mags with the same results.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 5:59:12 PM EDT
[#3]
i have a sa58 med contour,  i only have ever shot portuguese 147gr surplus and my setting is on 4.5 from being turned upward from no venting or fully closed.

but the number setting doesn't really mean anything in general.  if you look at what's happening when you turn the gas nob to a higher number you are exposing more of the orafice so the gas is vented out instead of to the piston operating the automatic cycling of the breach block.  What number you set it on depends on the type and load of ammo, and possibly temperature conditions.  From your setting of 3 for wolf, that tells me it doesn't create as much pressure (equals lower muzzle velocity, no surprise with wolf) so you have to direct more gas to the piston for it to operate reliably.  Same with the FNM, as compared to PP and winchester with a 5 setting.

what you need to do is start with an open the gas knob on a higher number, say 7.  
Have your piston plug setting on A so it operates on automatic cycling.
Take one shot, it will most likely fail to fully eject which is what you want.  Then turn the knob one click closed (lower number) and continue to do so until the first shot ejects reliably and cycles the next round.  At this point you should take a few shots to see how reliable it is.  If you get say 5 shots no problems, then this should be considered your minimum reliable setting.  Any variation in ammo to the lighter load size will most likely cause a cycling failure, which is why they say turn 2 more clicks closed, or lower, which will prevent that.  The goal is not to turn it so low resulting in excessive pressure cycling the piston and breach block which is just more wear and tear, and you throw brass farther.
Bear in mind though this is for just one type of ammo.  If you use a different type of ammo, especially a hotter load, then it is normal to turn the gas knob a couple clicks either way, that's the beauty of the FAL- adjustable gas system.  And if you shoot a bunch of different ammo you can either just keep the knob on a lower setting for reliability at the expense of a little excessive cycling pressure or you remember what each type of ammo likes the gas knob set at.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
It was very cold out. Could have been it too.
The day before when I shot the PP brass .308 at the gas '5' setting , it was at an indoor range , roughly 65F.
The next day when I was shooting the Wolf and the Port surplus it was more like 35F.
The Wolf and surplus was reliable on the '3' setting but not anything higher than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top