Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2005 1:38:43 PM EDT
hey guys was wondering what are some important spare parts to have stashed in my BOB for my Para FAL...thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know that you'll ever need 'em, but about the only parts I've seen break on an FAL is the firing pin, and I've seen 'em lose the extractor assy due to the plunger crapping out... I've also seen a gas piston bend - and springs wear out over time - but those are even rarer occurances...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
more specific please...firing pin ok   springs?  anything else  lets hear it guys
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a bolt repair kit from DSA handy. You might want to buy an extractor tool to help you replace the extractor, plunger and/or spring. I think I'd also get a spring kit from Falcon Arms. I replaced all the springs in the kits I've built.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
very nice I thank you :)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
more specific please...firing pin ok   springs?  anything else  lets hear it guys

Well, I thought it was clear enough, but here goes:

extractor, plunger and spring
firing pin and spring
gas piston

A spare gas tube *might* not be the worst idea, either - I've seen 'em strip out, blow out, or blow by so badly they needed to be replaced...

...and instead of individual springs, a complete spring kit can be had for around $15, and doesn't take up too much space...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys :)
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#7]
For a BOB, a complete bolt assembly that you have checked for proper head space is a must. In the event that something on the bolt breaks, just swap bolt assemblies and keep on rockin'.( This can be done in less than a minute with no tools).  A spare piston and spring is also a good idea. Rarely needed, but for the money involved, why not?!

Figure out the number of  magazines that you will need, add half that many to the number and you will be in pretty good shape.

Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
For a BOB, a complete bolt assembly that you have checked for proper head space is a must. In the event that something on the bolt breaks, just swap bolt assemblies and keep on rockin'.( This can be done in less than a minute with no tools).  A spare piston and spring is also a good idea. Rarely needed, but for the money involved, why not?!

Figure out the number of  magazines that you will need, add half that many to the number and you will be in pretty good shape.

He brings up a good point, and one I thought of, but didn't get into because of cost... When I did my 1st build, it was on an Imbel kit - and so was my 2nd - BUT, when I did the 2nd, I bought 2 INCH bolt/carrier sets, and did the 2nd build with one of those... That way, I had a complete spare bolt/carrier set for either - and the inch B/C sets were fairly cheap - only about $15 apiece, when I got them... I also checked all of the above set-ups for headspace variance, and they were all within safe limits - I then headspaced with the "looser" combos, figuring that if needed, the "tighter" set-ups would be just about right by then.... I hope that all made sense,

- georgestrings
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top