Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 12:53:46 PM EDT
My question is are you first survivalist who see guns as tools and thus subordinate their type, caliber and number to that end? Or are you first gun-freaks who also have survivalism interests. It would be interesting to see how the two groups differ in choice and number of firearms.

As for me, I was a gunfreak first, but haning out here and recent events have made me realize the imporatance of preparedness. My "arsenal" grew as a result of my love for guns and not because of any plan for survival. I suppose if I had to do it over again I would've subordinated my arsenal to meet survival criteria.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
i've always been a "survivalist" of sorts - by that i mean being prepared for whatever is thrown at me.  no, i don't have a bunker or an uber-tactical bugout out vehicle, etc.  
example:  since we're on a well, i store some water.  been without power before - those kind of things.  

i am a gun nut but didn't really look at my guns as as survival tools outside of hunting, etc.

i have tried to standardize calibers somewhat - they've begun to figure out that controlling the ammo controls the guns.  having very little of several different calibers just did not sem to be wise.  i didn't thin out the inventory - just focused on stockpiling calibers i feel would be helpful in the event of "trouble".   i don't think i'll need 1000 rounds to see me thru an event like hurricane katrina.  i know men who didn't fire 1000 rounds in WW2.  it depends on the scenario.  but, the extra ammo insures i can practice, train my family and still be able to defend home if needed.

recently added an L1A1 frankenfal to the armory.  already have a hunting rifle in .308 and its very accurate with ball ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not a gun freak. My taste in firearms is actually pretty limited. Military rifles and pistols are my main interest and even then I am fairly particular.  I could be called an ammo freak though. I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as enough ammo.

Survivalism ( is there such a word) has always been a back burner sort of thing for me. However, the events of the past month have moved that interest to the front of the stove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top