Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:09:04 PM EDT
They are parts guns correct? All I have is the sa 58 models.

Are they worth $1000?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
in my book HELL YES
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
in my book HELL YES

Good accuracy? It says the barrels are used but good. Not much of a description on the web site.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Back in late 02'-early 03' I picked up both the carbine and rifle--bores were like new, in fact all parts appeared new. The carbine, as you can expect, wasn't as accurate as the rifle, but acceptable. I sold off the carbine a few months ago to fund something else, but still have the rifle.
No telling what bores are like now, as the supply of parts kits keeps going down, and that may be why now they  offer a choice of adding an in house barrel in the advertisement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
They are great guns.  Best of the best right now.

....Just don't cycle live ammo through it unless you are at the range...

Sorry i couldnt resist that one...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Once I made the choice to use the FAL as my main MBR..for me..the STG was BY FAR the best option out there.

I have about 3k rounds through the rifle..and all I've had to do is clean it and oil it.  The STG runs and runs and ...well you know.

I couldn't be more pleased with mine. Reliable, tough, cheap parts and did I mention it runs?

PS.  My STG will ring steel on irons to 500yd.  All day every day. I just don't know how you can beat that?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
in my book HELL YES

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked one up and I'm really impressed.  I will post a range report when I get a chance.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Love mine!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I shot about 100 rounds at 50 yards yesterday  just messing around, I still havent been able to shoot at distance because Ive got corn planted between me and my back stop. I cant wait till I can get back a couple hundred yards and see what I can do with it..
Now with me being such an AR and AK fan it is a little intimidating to me anyway for being so used to toteing around a carbine the STG was a little heavy, I took my bipod off and changed the Austrian flash hider to a Belgian flash hider and it lightened it up considerably..It seems to be very accurate but at 50 yards with a 308 even I can make that look good...As for durability I dont think you can beat it, it is a very solid made rifle..As I was shooting a relative of mine came over to see what the hell I was shooting and he had to shoot it..He's a bigger fellow than I and he fell in love with it, said he liked it because it has no recoil...If you have a SA 58 you know about what the STG will do, it's just a little cheaper in price but not quality I'm pretty happy with my intro FAL.....Thanks again to Templar and Kyarguy for helping me get into em..

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]

It's a good basic FAL.  I've had a few problems, such as the locking piece that sets the headspace walk out on one, but the replacement has stayed put.  

The most important thing to do with any FAL, short of a custom build by a FALsmith, is tear it down, clean it, and oil it. Even DSA manages to leave metal shavings behind and they certainly don't oil it properly for a sustained shooting session.  Make sure there is are no metal shavings left over in the gas tube or FSB from when they drilled the gas hole.  I seem to be the only one who preaches this.  Buy all the necessary FAL tools so you can tear it down before you shoot it.

To make it a top notch FAL, replace the metal handguards with plastic, if you can't reach the safety get an extended model from DSA, and if the trigger is harsh get a set of Falcon trigger springs.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is MSRP up to 1K now?  Got mine for some time ago for $830 out-the-door.

I saw one at my local store last week, it was a carbine (dont know exact model) with a tag of $1500 or so. Mind you, this is the CA version with stripper clip guide cover and fixed 10 rnd mag.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is MSRP up to 1K now?  Got mine for some time ago for $830 out-the-door.

I saw one at my local store last week, it was a carbine (dont know exact model) with a tag of $1500 or so. Mind you, this is the CA version with stripper clip guide cover and fixed 10 rnd mag.

That would likely have been a California version of the SA58, not the StG58.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Technically speaking the STGs are parts guns , but I defy you to find a BETTER parts gun that isn't
Custom built.
If you order one from DSA , you can even have a BRAND NEW Barrel installed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I got my DSA STG58 through my Ace Hardware store for $920 out the door a month ago.
DSA's web site listed it at $995.

I took it shooting last weekend and ran 200 rounds through it with no problems.

Now I have to figure out how to break it down and clean it.
Is there anyplace on the internet that has easy disassembly and cleaning directions with pictures (like AFCOM)?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I got my DSA STG58 through my Ace Hardware store for $920 out the door a month ago.

Is there anyplace on the internet that has easy disassembly and cleaning directions with pictures (like AFCOM)?

www.vaq34.com/junk/fal_30_percent_more_evil.jpg

They are easy to clean, go over to falfiles.com.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My DSA STG58 rifle came with a manual titled "Light Automatic Rifle, Cal. 7.62mm" which was written by FN.  

This manual covers just about everything from function, basic field stripping, what needs lubed and what doesn't, and how to break the rifle down into all of its parts and then reassemble it.  Its probably the best owners manual for a firearm I have ever had.

If your DSA didn't come with one I'd call DSA about it.  The same manual I have runs $10.00 on DSA's website.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#20]
DSA STG 58A

Love mine, though it's heavy. A parts gun? Yes, but it looks new. I've had mine for about 2 years and have made some changes.

Added TAPCO T-48 Handguards
Falcon G3 Ergo Grip
Versa-Pod Bipod
Rooster TAC sling
VOW PARA click adjustable rear sight

Various springs and polishing have greatly improved the stock trigger and action. Also I've turned down the front sight so it's about half the origional thickness, makes for better accuracy. 7.62 milsurp is still fairly cheap and available, and it like .308 as well.

I'm still toying with the thought of getting a PARA carbine though....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/jgelner/Other/FAL1.jpg

-LeadPumper
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
DSA Stg58's.....HELL YA fine rifles and a piece of history well worth owning.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
DSA STG 58A
Love mine, though it's heavy. A parts gun? Yes, but it looks new. I've had mine for about 2 years and have made some changes.

Added TAPCO T-48 Handguards

-LeadPumper

How do you like those TAPCO  handguards ??

As to the original question, the  DSA STG58 is a great rifle  !!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Offers for Sale belong in the EE.  raf
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

AH yes, got to love the Wannabe moderators keeping the internet board safe for humanity...

Put a sock in it!!!    

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AH yes, got to love the Wannabe moderators keeping the internet board safe for humanity...

Put a sock in it!!!    

KyARGuy

Boy have you got it wrong
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Did i miss something??

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put a sock in it!!!    

KyARGuy

Well, KY, it's part of my job to move topics/posts/threads into their appropriate forums.  The owners of the site have asked that this be done, especially Offers for Sale.  
You can contact Striker, my boss, if you would like to dispute the policy.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
So is the dsa stg 58 a good fal?  

Oh yes, you'll be pleased.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]
+1 for "hell yes" and "you'll be pleased".
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]
They are great you will get a nice wepon for your $
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I miss my DSA FAL Im gonna replace her with the carbine
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got the STG58 by DSA, and it is a great rifle. The only thing I don't like is the muzzle break they silver soldered on it, it appears to be a STG58 flash hider that had the forks chopped off and then drilled. Of course I purchased mine before the ban expired.
I've heard that YHM may do a batch of phantom flash hiders for the FAL soon. That is when I will replace this excuse of a muzzle break they put on the rifle.

Great rifle, very sturdy magazines that are cheap to buy, very easy to clean, and spare parts are everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:41:44 AM EDT
[#34]
The Austrian StG58s are the very best F A Ls ever made. The only downside tot he StG58 are the steel hand guards. Replace them with synthetic Hgs and rock on.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:19:32 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The Austrian StG58s are the very best F A Ls ever made. The only downside tot he StG58 are the steel hand guards. Replace them with synthetic Hgs and rock on.

+1

I took my STG58 out for the first time this past week and found out that they get hot quick!

Had not problem hitting targets out to 300 yards with it.  I do need the front sight adjustment tool and I'll probably just buy the DSA FAL tool kit they advertise.  Fun gun for sure.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top