Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 4:03:29 PM EDT
Okay, I have huge problems with my FAL. First of all, I bought some corrosive ammo from someone who said it WASN'T corrosive, shot it, and two months later found out that it was indeed corrosive. What a mess, the barrel was all crudded up as was the chamber, etc. Very well, cleaned that up, then today (about two days after I first cleaned the gun up) I found out the gas-top-thing wouldn't come off. After several applications of WD-40 and some cloth-wrapped pliers that finally came off. Then came the big surprise; the gas rod is apparently fused in the cylinder! Dang! I cannot get it out, I have given it several applications of WD-40, tried to hammer it out with a dowel, nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions???
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
is it a short gas tube or a long one?  I would try repeated applications of wd40 or kroil.  Of course one thing that you might try is to just replace the plug and shoot it to see if you can break it loose.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, it was a long gas tube, and I was shooting surplus ammo (yes I know that lots of suprlus stuff is corrosive, but I specifically made sure this was not, or so I thought) and I bought it from Sportsman's Guide. I have bought ammo from them before and this is the first time I've had problems with any of their products and it really wasn't their fault, more mine I guess.

But good news, I spent all day lubing, letting lie, and pounding it and I finally got it out. Appeared to be some rust which I was able to rub out and it now appears to work (haven't shot it yet). Thank you for your help!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Get some Flitz metal polish and work over the piston head. You will probably need to really scrub with it in the gas block.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I would get a punch and try to tap it out like suggested above. I think hitting it from either end would work. Though hitting it from up by the FSB would probably be easier than smacking it through the receiver.

I had the same problem though not from corrosive ammo. I shot maybe 2-3k rounds of mixed milsurp out of my beater fal and let it set in the safe uncleaned for the winter and come summer time just about everything in the gas system was locked in place. I ended up soaking it in wd-40 for a few days and then smacked the piston out with a brass punch.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Of course one thing that you might try is to just replace the plug and shoot it to see if you can break it loose.

... if the piston is really stucked, gas will not have enough room inside the gas cylinder creating a preasure build up and you might end up with a sore face and a kaboombed gas cylinder.  I've seen it happen b4.
My two cents.

HUNTER.

really?  can you provide more details?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
actually i seriously doubt you have to worry about that.

the worst case should be that it simply doesn't work...

if the pressure could cause the gas block to explode, how would you explain the grenade launching position on StG gas plugs?  if the piston doesn't move, the gas will either vent out of the barrel or maybe go around the piston.  

an exploding gas block, i doubt

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
actually i seriously doubt you have to worry about that.

the worst case should be that it simply doesn't work...

if the pressure could cause the gas block to explode, how would you explain the grenade launching position on StG gas plugs?  if the piston doesn't move, the gas will either vent out of the barrel or maybe go around the piston.  

an exploding gas block, i doubt

my thoughts as well.  glad you got your problem fixed onezero.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top