Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
My co-worker's father is selling a pristine condition (98-99%) original Belgium made FN Browning FAL. It has the original FN/Browning manual, bipod, but I'm not sure about the box. His father was the second owner and hasn't fired it in 20yrs. What is the approximate value of this rifle? I was thinking about 2500..Can't someone shed some light on the value of this rifle? Thanks, Stan swong29424 AT Hotmail DOT Com
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Search gunbroker or auctionarms for an idea.......
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta pic?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#4]

I know of one at about 80% condition with a $3500 price tag.

The bad part about later day FN FALs is they used a cast receiver. If that is what it has it's value is to a rare breed of collectors only. No sane person would pay more for a FN as a shooter when better quality DSAs are sub $2000. The cast receiver FN FAL is the most undesirable preban I know of.

I think he will have a hard time finding a buyer that will pay a premium preban price.

Now if it transferable in NY and new FALs are not allowed in NY state, the price goes up and he might be able to find a well heeled in-state buyer. I don't know NY laws, so you might want to research it. It might be worth a mint there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
My co-worker has said that his father has the box and the gun is in immaculate condition. His father was offered 2500 for it several years ago but wasn't interested in letting it go then. I know this gun with all accessories (bipod) , box, manual is worth well over the 2500 that was offered for it years ago. A truly collectible FAL for those coniesseurs and not meant to be shot today. I would spend 1500 for a DSA FAL that I'm going to shoot, but not this. His father will reconsider selling it and I will most certainly take many pictures/close-ups of the gun, markings, accessories, box, and manual etc if he decides to let it go. Thanks for the insight as I've posted this question on the FAL forums also. It is a pre-ban and NYS laws still allow for pre-ban transfers/sales...Delta
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Who's the importer? That will determine the value. Is it a fixed stock or folder? Barrel length? That stuff about it being undesireable becouse of the case receiver is a bunch of hogwash. These will never be imported again
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That stuff about it being undesireable becouse of the case receiver is a bunch of hogwash. These will never be imported again

Cast receivers are completely undesirable in todays climate. Not saying a cast receiver won't hold up, becayse it will, everytime. But these days, everyone wants forged receivers. DSA rifles are far superior to FN products.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who's the importer? That will determine the value. Is it a fixed stock or folder? Barrel length? That stuff about it being undesireable becouse of the case receiver is a bunch of hogwash. These will never be imported again

Hogwash?

I think not.

I buy firearms as shooters.  Surely, the FN name makes the rifle mildly desirable.

However, the name of the rifle alone is not going to influence *MY* purchasing decision, or that of the group of friends I shoot with.

I bought an SA M1A with a cast receiver, as I wasn't going to pay the $500-$1000 more for a forged receiver, as the rifle has a lifetime warranty from SA.

I have nothing against a cast receiver, but like most people, would prefer a forged receiver over a cast receiver.

If I can purchase a quality FAL with all the same "evil features" of a pre-ban FN FAL, and it's $1500 cheaper, AND it has a forged receiver, I'm going to buy that, and who cares that the other one is a "real" FN rifle.

The fact that it will "never be imported again" only matters to people who care about brand name over anything else.

Just because an FN-built FAL will potentially never be imported again doesn't mean much.  DSA builds complete rifles domestically.  Others make receivers.  Other parts are still importable, and I'm sure yet others will tool up and cut barrels.  Well built quality FAL's are all over the place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Value of a FN built FAL will depend on configuration and importer. Some of the early imported FALs came in with sear cut receivers and were subsequently grandfathered in by ATF. The sear cut is for a safety sear and is also the mechanism needed for full auto fire. These FALs have a semi-auto ejector block and the trigger travel is blocked for semi-auto only.  The price on one of the G series grandfathered rifles is going to be over later imports. Do a bit of checking around ATF web site for a list of serial numbers. Even if the FAL in question isn't a G it would be worth more to some folks than one of DSA's rifles. The comparison should be which would be more valuable, a M1A1 or a true M14? Well it's the same thing with a FN FAL over a DSA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Value of a FN built FAL will depend on configuration and importer.

Or, as always, the buyer.

The comparison should be which would be more valuable, a M1A1 or a true M14? Well it's the same thing with a FN FAL over a DSA.

Again, it depends.  Most "true" M14's are milled receivers, aren't they?  Isn't that the draw of USGI rifles/parts, that they're forged instead of cast?

In that respect, yeah.  However, if they're both cast, I'll buy the cheaper one.  In the event of this FAL, where the FN one is cast, and the DSA is a perfect or near-perfect spec, AND it's forged, yeah, I'll buy DSA.

Why spend more and get less?  The name does NOT make the rifle better in this case.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#11]
A weapon like this is not a "shooter" guys...It is an investment.  He wants to know what it is worth ...not to you but to him.  DSA parts rifles are just that...anyone can have one...a true 90% FN FAL is not only getting rare, but will be worth much more than our parts weapons (yes I have one too) in the future.  

As far as cast or not...I totally disagree with “today’s climate” line...Type 3's are ugly and the real reason for the switch was to lower the machining cost...not make it stronger.

I would suggest hitting the FAL Files and check out what they are being sold for.
Good Luck!

(If you get it...POST PICS!)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My co-worker's father is selling a pristine condition (98-99%) original Belgium made FN Browning FAL. It has the original FN/Browning manual, bipod, but I'm not sure about the box. His father was the second owner and hasn't fired it in 20yrs. What is the approximate value of this rifle? I was thinking about 2500..Can't someone shed some light on the value of this rifle? Thanks, Stan swong29424 AT Hotmail DOT Com

Stan, I see them for sale all the time for very high prices, But I have only seen them actually sell for around $1500-$1800 depending on model & condition.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
An original FN-FAL will always demand a premium regardless of whether it is an early forged receiver or latter cast receiver.

The FN is the real deal. DSA is nothing more than a high quality imitation. If you want a shooter get a DSA. If you want a collector get the FN.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#14]
2004 Standards has them at (excellent condition grade) $5000 for the G series and $2750 for the 21"  rifle
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That stuff about it being undesireable becouse of the case receiver is a bunch of hogwash. These will never be imported again

Cast receivers are completely undesirable in todays climate. Not saying a cast receiver won't hold up, becayse it will, everytime. But these days, everyone wants forged receivers. DSA rifles are far superior to FN products.

Total bullshit.
DSA rifles are no better than any other of the other commercial FALs out there.

If you want the real deal get the FN.
It will be worth FAR more money than any DSA will ever be.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
DSA rifles are no better than any other of the other commercial FALs out there.

If you want the real deal get the FN.
It will be worth FAR more money than any DSA will ever be.

If DSA stops making FALs and twenty years pass, I'm sure an all USA made DSA type 1 forged receiver rifle will fetch a huge premium over a FN cast type 3.  Those last of the run FN's were the saddest FALs to ever leave Belgium and are only worth a premium to rare coin type collectors who have more money than gun sense.

DSA's are the best FALs ever made.

Even if you go for FNs, the closest to a DSA in quality and detail last left the factory in 1962.  1963 marked the end of the classic FAL until DSA brought it back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]

greetings FAL freeks;      there are approximately 2000 of the FN  built type 3 cast receiver

weapons in the USA......these are not "G" guns, altho the numbers imported are close to the

same.      the real "G" series was brought in by browning from the 1961-62 time period, and

featured full auto ejector blocks, as well as the safety sear cut in the hinge boss.     the later

type 3 sear cut guns were brought in by steyr for the most part, and did include the semi

ejector block.    these units were imported in the 1974-87 time frame.

between these phases,  there were a variety of FALs  imported ;   a very few with slotted,  and

semi auto blocked type 2 forged receivers.......this version was shut down by the BATF in

1968-69.    afterwards   a  so-called FAL USA  receiver was introduced ;  a type 2 with no

slot .   this was also a forged piece ,  and was imported by several outfits,  including steyr

the "G" series numbers continued  long after the controversial  browning imports,  and can

be found on FAL USA type 2 guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
   greetings FAL freeks;      there are approximately 2000 of the FN  built type 3 cast receiver

weapons in the USA......these are not "G" guns, altho the numbers imported are close to the

same.      the real "G" series was brought in by browning from the 1961-62 time period, and

featured full auto ejector blocks, as well as the safety sear cut in the hinge boss.     the later

type 3 sear cut guns were brought in by steyr for the most part, and did include the semi

between these phases,  there were a variety of FALs  imported ;   a very few with slotted,  and

semi auto blocked type 2 forged receivers.......this version was shut down by the BATF in

1968-69.    afterwards   a  so-called FAL USA  receiver was introduced ;  a type 2 with no

slot .   this was also a forged piece ,  and was imported by several outfits,  including steyr

the "G" series numbers continued  long after the controversial  browning imports,  and can

be found on FAL USA type 2 guns.

Good info, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
   greetings FAL freeks;      there are approximately 2000 of the FN  built sear-cut type 3 cast receiver

be found on FAL USA type 2 guns.These are most commonly referred to as "Rogak" guns

Just wanted to clarify that there were many more Belgian type III rifles imported. Steyr non sear-cut, Steyr/Gun South double stamp, Gun South and Howco.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#20]

yes indeed..... i meant to say that there are approx.   2000 sear cut type 3 guns .    nearly all

of this bunch will be found with steyr markings.     there are in fact a ton more type 3s without

the slot, that have been brought in by just about everybody.     of course all these FN type 3s

will be the cast variety.....if it matters to the FAL collector .    i would think that a forged FAL

receiver weapon would comand a bit of a premium,   as would a slotted type 3 gun .    now how

much that might be is anyone's guess   !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top