Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2004 3:16:26 PM EDT
Has anybody bought/built/fired an FAL with a 13inch barrel with a 3 inch flash hider/comp on it?  I was thinking about building one in this config to keep legal, but is it any fun to shoot.  (i.e. too much recoil/flash or just plain inaccurate)  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There was a guy shooting in our Tactical Rifle Match this last saturday that brought along a 6" barreled FAL in PISTOL configuration.

Now THAT's an SBR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
A 13 inch barrel will be at least as accurate as a longer barrel.  Sometimes shorter barrels are more accurate due to less barrel whip.  Can't tell you about muzzle flash or noise.  With hearing protection, and daytime firing, I don't think you'll notice a difference.  As to recoil, that'll be the same as other barrel configs without muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Ouch. I shot next to a guy with an 11 inch DSA post sample, complete with muzzle brake. It was.....a significant experience.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Lastdefender would not want to be next to the owner of a SBR FAL at the range.......  As my Greek friends are so fond of saying....

OUFA........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....  That bitch is loud!  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
i built one for myself

14 inch barrel
2 inch brake
shortest aftermarket stock i could find
shortened gas piston
moved gas block to the rear
shortened the metal handguards
drill gas port larger than the stock size, i cannot remember what it ended up being in dia
just as short as an m4gery
loud as heck
good 200 yards with irons, easy
bumps like a bandit
sold 6 mos ago
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a FA Post Sample with 11" barrel.  The flash and blast is not quite up to the HK-51 standard but darn close.  Recoil is decent, function is fine.  Has a para stock and that thing HURTS when firing folded - unless you change to a SAW pistol grip!
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have a FA Post Sample with 11" barrel.  The flash and blast is not quite up to the HK-51 standard but darn close.  Recoil is decent, function is fine.  Has a para stock and that thing HURTS when firing folded - unless you change to a SAW pistol grip!

i would love to spend an afternoon with that thing....

i envy you mm
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Easy to arrange!!  Bring lots of surplus 7.62 NATO and come on down!!  Covered range about 5 miles from here....  S. of Columbus OH.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top